HELIOS Clinic Krefeld
Department of Angiology (381394)
Specialized in: angiology
About the Department of Angiology at HELIOS Clinic Krefeld
The Department of Angiology at the HELIOS Clinic Krefeld offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in this medical field. The department specializes in the treatment of all diseases of the arteries, veins and lymphatic vessels. Of particular interest are circulatory disorders, obliterating peripheral vascular diseases, thromboses, Raynaud's syndrome, diabetic foot syndrome. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Knut Kröger.
Naturally, the key to the successful treatment is accurate diagnostics. The department carries out a comprehensive vascular diagnostics for each patient, which makes it possible to make an accurate diagnosis and choose the optimal method of treatment. The most important imaging method for the vessels is color-coded duplex ultrasonography. Magnetic resonance angiography and other advanced diagnostic tests are conducted as well.
One of the most common vascular diseases is vascular occlusion. In the treatment of this pathology, the specialists of the department pursue two main goals: restoration of normal walking and prevention of disease progression. To treat vascular occlusions, the department successfully performs minimally invasive interventions (so-called revascularization procedures), offers catheter implantation, stenting, open surgical interventions, a combination of open operations with catheter implantation and other treatment methods. In the early stages of the disease, conservative therapy can also be effective. To prevent the progression of the disease, the patient needs to change their habitual way of life. First of all, one should regularly perform certain physical exercises and reconsider the diet.
Another no less common disease in the field of angiology is venous thrombosis. If treated untimely, this ailment can lead to serious complications. The medical team of the department has a huge experience in the treatment of this disease, including acute venous thrombosis, post-thrombotic syndrome and complications of venous thrombosis. Depending on the stage and symptoms of thrombosis, the patient is prescribed either outpatient or inpatient treatment. Hemostaziologists select an optimal drug or a combination of several drugs for blood thinning or inhibition of blood coagulability (anticoagulants). In addition, suitable compression therapy may be prescribed.
A separate focus of the department is treatment of diabetic foot syndrome. Much attention is paid not only to maintaining normal blood sugar levels, blood lipids and blood pressure, but also to the treatment of wounds. If a small surgical intervention is required, it is performed on an outpatient basis. The diabetic foot syndrome is often a consequence of peripheral vascular occlusion, a chronic disease that affects the arteries in the leg, so the patient needs to improve blood circulation. For this purpose, targeted therapy is used. Not the least role here is played by the selection of the right, comfortable shoes.
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Knut Kröger
- 1989 License for medical practice.
- 1992 ECFMG exam.
- 1995 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1995 Additional qualification in the field of sports medicine.
- 1996 Main focus – Angiology.
- 2001 Specialist in the field of Health Economics.
- 2003 Defense of doctoral thesis.
- 1989 - 1991 Johannitter Duisburg-Reinhausen Clinic.
- 1991 - 1994 General Hospital Viersen.
- 1994 - 2008 Department of Angiology, University Hospital Essen.
- Since 2009 Head of the Department of Angiology at the HELIOS Clinic Krefeld.
Other Activities and Membership in Professional Societies
- Board Member of the Initiative Chronische Wunden.
- Co-editor of the "Wundmanagement" journal.
- 2006 - 2016 Co-editor of the "gefaessmedzin.net" journal.
- Board Member of the German-Indonesian Society of Angiology.
- 2006 - 2008 Member of the Advisory Board of the German Angiology Society.
- Founding Member of the Federal Association for People with Peripheral Vascular Disease.
- 2014 - 2017 Member of the Council of the European Wound Management Association.
- Board Member of the Western Society of Angiology.
- German Society of Angiology.
- International Society of Angiology.
- American Society of Angiology.
- German Society of Cardiology.
- European Society of Cardiology.
- German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- Initiative Chronische Wunden.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Krefeld
Department of Angiology.
HELIOS Clinic Krefeld:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.