HELIOS Clinic Krefeld
Department of Nephrology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology (381398)
Specialized in: nephrology, endocrinology, diabetology, rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Nephrology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology at the HELIOS Clinic Krefeld offers the full range of services in these medical focuses. The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases, type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, endocrine and rheumatic diseases. The experienced medical team of the department has the very latest diagnostic and therapeutic methods, and thus provides excellent medical care and guarantees optimal treatment results. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Heike Bruck.
In the field of nephrology, both diagnostics and treatment of all kidney diseases are offered. Of particular interest is the treatment of acute and chronic kidney failure, high blood pressure and lipid metabolism disorders.
Treatment begins with comprehensive diagnostics. Then, depending on the specific clinical situation and patient’s overall health, individual therapy is prescribed. Treatment of acute and chronic kidney failure is based on conservative therapy. After kidney function stabilization, temporary dialysis (blood purification) may be prescribed. As a rule, in the timely treatment, kidney function is completely restored, urination is normalized as well. Treatment of chronic kidney failure is aimed at preventing further impairment of kidney function and preservation of residual kidney function. In most cases, the treatment of this pathology requires renal replacement therapy. In particularly severe cases, kidney transplantation may be necessary.
The department offers the following types of treatment for kidney diseases:
- Dialysis, hemodialysis, hemodiafiltration with heparin and citrate anticoagulation
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Chronic ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD)
- Automated peritoneal dialysis (APD)
- Intermittent peritoneal dialysis (IPD)
- Continuous veno-venous hemofiltration
- Continuous venovenous hemodialysis
- Continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration
- Other methods
In the field of endocrinology, there are provided both diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders caused by diseases of the thyroid gland, pituitary gland, adrenal glands and gonads. The range of diagnostic services in this area includes blood and urine tests, ultrasound, functional examinations and imaging tests. Many hormonal disorders can be well treated with drugs, but in some cases surgical intervention may still be required.
As the Diabetes Center certified by the German Diabetes Association, the department offers high-quality treatment for type 1 and type 2 diabetes. In the treatment of this disease, the control of sugar, lipid levels in the blood and blood pressure plays a crucial role. With the use of various types of insulin, the department provides many forms of insulin therapy. It conducts training of patients, during which they learn all the necessary information about the disease, learn to live with the disease, eat right, measure blood sugar levels, inject insulin, for example, with an insulin pump, etc. The department’s scope of tasks also includes the treatment of diabetic foot syndrome.
The department’s range of services is complemented by the diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune systemic diseases (rheumatology). The specialists of the department have a huge experience in the treatment of such ailments and have at their command all modern therapies. Treatment is provided both on an outpatient and inpatient basis.
- 1993 – 1999 Medical School: University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
- 2000 – 2001 Department of Internal Medicine (Head: Prof. Dr. Th. Philipp), Essen Medical School, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
- 2001 M.D. degree, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
- 2001 – 2002 Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology (Head. Prof. Dr. O.-E. Brodde), Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
- 2002 – 2014 Department of Internal Medicine/ Nephrology and Hypertension (Head: Prof. Dr. Th. Philipp and since 2007, Prof. Dr. A. Kribben), Essen Medical School, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
- 2006 German Board Certification/ Medical Specialist for Internal Medicine
- 2007 German Board Certification / Medical Specialist for Nephrology
- Since 2009 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine/ Nephrology (Head: Prof. Dr. A. Kribben), Essen Medical School, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
- 2009 Venia legendi (Habilitation) in Internal Medicine (Assistant Professor, University Lecturer), Essen Medical School, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
- Since 2011, Leading Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine/ Nephrology (Head: Prof. Dr. A. Kribben), Essen Medical School, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
- Since 2014, Medical Director of Kuratorium for Dialysis and Kidney Transplantation e.V. (KfH), Krefeld
- Since 2014, Head of the Department of Nephrology, Endocrinology, Diabetology, and Rheumatology, HELIOS Clinic Krefeld, Academic Teaching Hospital RWTH Aachen
- Chronic kidney disease and acute kidney injury including all forms of renal replacement therapy
- Diabetes mellitus
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Krefeld
Department of Nephrology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology.
HELIOS Clinic Krefeld:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.