Helios ENDO-Clinic Hamburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery, Neurosurgery (579918)
Specialization: adult and pediatric spinal surgery, neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery, Neurosurgery at the Helios ENDO-Clinic Hamburg offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of all the regions of the spine. The department's doctors have excellent qualifications in the treatment of spinal tumors and metastases, inflammatory processes and vertebral fractures, correction of spinal deformities (for example, scoliosis, kyphosis), treatment of spinal injuries, peripheral nerve compression syndromes. The area of competence also includes revision spinal surgery. The clinical activities of the department are certified in accordance with the standards of the German Spine Society.
The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Ralf Hempelmann. The doctor has vast clinical experience and deep knowledge in the field of his specialization. The doctor was awarded the Leading Medicine Guide Certificate for his outstanding achievements in the field of spinal surgery and scoliosis.
The innovative monitoring systems ensure the best possible precision of the intervention, which helps to prevent damage of the important functional structures of the spine. The range of surgical treatments is complemented by pain therapy. The main types of such therapy are the X-ray guided facet joint infiltration, sacroiliac joint infiltration and denervation, as well as CT-guided periradicular therapy. All these types of pain therapy allow the doctor to relieve the patient from painful sensations in the spine for a long time, and thereby to improve the quality of his life.
The therapeutic range of the department includes:
- Cervical spine surgery
- Surgery for the treatment of spinal canal stenosis accompanied by myopathy and cervical disc herniation
- Ventral fusion using Cage technique or lumbar disc replacement surgery, dorsal decompression (if necessary, there may be also performed spondylectomy with the implantation of special plates)
- Stabilization interventions in cervical spine instability
- Correction of cervical spinal deformities (via ventral and/or dorsal access)
- Thoracic spine surgery
- Surgical treatment of thoracic spinal stenosis and intervertebral thoracic herniated discs
- Intervertebral disc replacement surgery via ventral access
- Kyphoplasty in osteoporotic fractures
- Correction of deformities (scoliosis, kyphosis) via posterior, anterior or combined access
- Stabilization in thoracic spinal instability and destructive processes
- Lumbar spine surgery
- Minimally invasive and microsurgical operations to repair lumbar disc herniation
- Implantation of spinal disc prostheses, correction of lumbar spine deformities, instability (instrumental correction and fusion)
- Decompression in spinal stenosis
- Vertebral body replacement via ventral access
- Correction of deformities (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Surgical treatment of spinal deformities (scoliosis, kyphosis, posttraumatic deformities)
- Removal of spinal canal tumors (meningiomas, ependymomas, neuromas)
- Removal of spinal cord tumors using neuromonitoring
- Surgical treatment of syringomyelia
- Surgical treatment of complications or consequences after surgical interventions on all parts of the spine (revision surgery)
- Surgical removal of metastases
- Surgical treatment of inflammatory spinal diseases
- Treatment of facet and sacroiliac joint syndrome (infiltration, denervation)
- Interventional diagnostics and therapy of spinal diseases (drug infiltration, periradicular therapy)
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Spinal surgical oncology
- Treatment of peripheral nerve compression syndromes (carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, tarsal tunnel syndrome)
- Counseling and conservative treatment of spinal deformities in adolescents (for example, the use of corsets)
- Multimodal pain therapy
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Experience
- 1983 - 1990 Study of Medicine with internships abroad in England, India and Israel.
- 1990 Third State Medical Exam.
- 1990 PhD thesis defense.
- 1990 - 1992 Doctor in the Department of Neurology, Kiel.
- 1992 - 1994 Research Fellow in the Department of Pharmacology, Kiel.
- 1994 - 2001 Research Fellow at the University of Neurosurgery, Kiel.
- 1999 Research Fellow in Anesthesia Research Department, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA.
- 1999 DEGUM Certificate: Transcranial Doppler and Duplex Sonography.
- 1999 DEGUM Certificate: Doppler and Duplex Ultrasound of the Cerebral Arteries.
- 2001 Board certification in Neurosurgery.
- 2003 Habilitation and Venia Legendi.
- 2002 - 2006 Senior Physician in the Department of Neurosurgery, Dessau.
- 2004 Specialization in Radiation Protection.
- 2006 - 2010 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Chief Physician of the Department of Neurosurgery, Dessau.
- Since 2010 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery, Neurosurgery at the Helios ENDO-Clinic Hamburg.
- 2011 Certificate "Spinal Neurosurgery" of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- 2012 Master Certificate of the German Spine Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios ENDO-Klinik Hamburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery, Neurosurgery.
Helios ENDO-Clinic Hamburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.