Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Obstetrics (594932)
Specialized in: gynecology, mammology, obstetrics
About the Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Obstetrics at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
The Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Obstetrics at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers the full service range in these fields. The department specializes in the treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the female reproductive organs, breast, as well as comprehensive pregnancy management, childbirth and postpartum care. A treatment regimen is developed for each patient individually. Most surgical interventions can be performed using sparing surgical techniques. The department is certified by the German Cancer Society as the Center for Gynecologic Oncology, which indicates strict adherence to national treatment protocols and high quality of treatment. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Michael Untch.
In the field of gynecology, the focus is on the treatment of precancerous conditions (cervical dysplasia), benign and malignant pathologies of the uterus and ovaries. Thanks to many effective treatment methods available in the department, each patient receives an individual treatment plan corresponding to her specific clinical indications, stage of pathology, etc. The department annually treats about 5,000 patients, as well as performs more than 3,000 surgical interventions every year. These figures confirm the high effectiveness of treatment and the tremendous experience of doctors. It is also worth noting that during surgical treatment, the surgeons make every effort to preserve the affected organs as much as possible.
The department's mammologists specialize in breast cancer treatment. The scope of their competence also includes the treatment of benign breast changes, such as cysts, fibroadenomas, lipomas, mastopathy, abscesses. To diagnose breast diseases, the department has such modern imaging techniques as ultrasound, mammography, magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, positron emission tomography. In addition, it performs all types of breast biopsies, including needle biopsy, vacuum-assisted biopsy, biopsy of the normal and sentinel lymph nodes. To treat the advanced stages of breast cancer, which require radical resection, the doctors carry out reconstructive interventions to restore the aesthetic appearance.
Obstetrics is also a priority in clinical practice. The experienced doctors, obstetricians and nurses work around the clock and do everything possible to make the childbirth as safe as possible for the mother and baby. The department delivers about 3,000 babies annually. The department has three maternity rooms equipped with water baths, which are an excellent alternative to classical childbirth. To relieve pain during childbirth, pain killers, epidural anesthesia, homeopathy, acupuncture, aromatherapy with the use of essential oils can be applied.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Outpatient surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Uterine fibroid enucleation
- Endometrial hyperplasia ablation
- Minimally invasive and microsurgical interventions in case of infertility
- Laparoscopic surgery on the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes
- Surgical removal of vaginal, cervical, endometrial, fallopian tube, ovarian and peritoneal tumors
- Chemotherapy for gynecological malignancies (including on an outpatient basis)
- Mammography, including special modes
- Breast ultrasound scanning
- Biopsy (vacuum and needle), including biopsy of ordinary and sentinel lymph nodes
- Breast surgery (conservative and ablative surgery, plastic reconstructive surgery in breast cancer, breast aesthetic and plastic surgery)
- Sentinel lymph node removal (in collaboration with the Department of Nuclear Medicine)
- Modern chemotherapy and antibody therapy
- Surgical and drug treatment of relapses and metastasis
- Intraoperative radiation therapy
- Genetic counseling for patients with breast cancer in family history
- Psycho-oncological care
- Integrated management of pregnancy
- Childbirth, including using C-section, water birth
- Pain therapy
- Classic painkillers
- Epidural anesthesia
- Relaxation baths
- Aromatherapy using essential oils
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Michael Untch
Education and Professional Сareer
- 1978 Study of Human Medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1985 State Examination in Human Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 08.1984 - 06.1986 Research Activities within Cancer Laboratory of the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Campus Grosshadern.
- Since 06.1986 Assistant Physician in the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Campus Grosshadern.
- 1987 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 06.1990 - 07.1991 Research Fellow, Department of Medicine, University of Miami, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Section of Gynecologic Oncology.
- Since 08.1991 Responsible for Consultations on Breast Diseases.
- 08.1992 Board certification in Gynecology and Mammology.
- Since 02.1994 Senior Physician in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Campus Grosshadern.
- Since 07.1996 Deputy Chairman of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Munich, Project Team on Breast Cancer.
- 07.1999 Habilitation, PD.
- Since 09.2001 Leading Senior Physician (Deputy Head) of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Grosshadern Campus.
- Since 01.2006 Head of the Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Obstetrics at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch.
- Since 1986 Internship in Gynecology and Obstetrics for medical students, participation in the main lecture on Gynecology and Obstetrics, a year of theoretical and practical training for students.
- Since 2002 Lecturer at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Harvard Medical School, Medical Education Alliance (Munich Model for Study of Medicine). The main subject was "Diagnostics and Therapy of Breast Diseases".
- Since 01.2006 Admission to carry out the advanced training courses in Gynecology and Obstetrics of the Berlin Medical Association.
- Since 11.2008 Admission to carry out the advanced training courses in Gynecologic Oncology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Since 2000 Commission on the Development of Guidelines for the Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology, Breast Cancer Group.
- Since 2004 Commission on the Development of S3 Guidelines for Breast Cancer Treatment of the German Cancer Society.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology.
- German Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- German Society of Senology.
- Bavarian Cancer Society.
- Board Member of the North-Eastern German Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
- German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- European Society of Mastology.
- Berlin Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Berlin Cancer Society.
- Federal Association of Senior Physicians in Obstetrics and Gynecology (since 2012 Board Member).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Obstetrics.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.