Hospital Kloster Grafschaft Schmallenberg
Department of Cardiology (690942)
Specialized in: cardiology
About the Department of Cardiology at Hospital Kloster Grafschaft Schmallenberg
The Department of Cardiology at the Hospital Kloster Grafschaft Schmallenberg offers all the options of modern medicine for the diagnostics and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The department's doctors have at their disposal a wide arsenal of diagnostic tests for the comprehensive assessment of the heart function, thanks to which they develop effective treatment regimens. In addition to classical tests, the department's cardiologists also perform left and right heart catheterization. The specialists most often admit patients with coronary heart disease, heart failure, myocardial infarction, heart rhythm disturbances (arrhythmias), valvular dysfunction and other pathologies. Depending on the severity of the disease and general health condition, patients can undergo treatment both on an inpatient or outpatient basis. The cardiologists working in the department follow current clinical protocols and recommendations of the German Cardiac Society, so patients can be confident in the reliability and effectiveness of all therapeutic procedures. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Christian Berndt.
During the initial medical appointment, the patient tells the attending physician about the complaints and symptoms that bother him. Based on the data obtained, the cardiologist appoints the required diagnostic tests. The very first step is laboratory diagnostics, echocardiography and electrocardiography. With appropriate clinical indications, the patient may need cardiac MRI, left and right heart catheterization, radiography, ultrasound scanning of the abdominal organs. The doctors thoroughly study the results of examinations, after which they make an accurate diagnosis and develop an optimal treatment regimen. The specialists prefer conservative therapeutic methods and successfully apply them in their daily clinical practice.
Heart failure ranks among the most common clinical cases in the department. Pathology is associated with the weakened pumping function of the heart. Heart failure can be associated with impaired contractility of the right or left ventricle. If untreated for a long time, the disease decompensates and affects all chambers of the heart. The standard diagnostic protocol for suspected heart failure includes clinical examination, study of the patient's medical history, complete blood count, electrocardiography, echocardiography, stress tests and chest X-ray. Catheter diagnostics can be carried out only if clinically indicated. The treatment course is determined by the form of pathology, since acute or chronic heart failure requires a different therapeutic approach. The patients with acute heart failure require urgent hospitalization. They must stay at the hospital under constant medical supervision. If the patient has chronic heart failure, drug therapy will become first-line therapy. The doctor selects the necessary set of drugs and determines the timing of their intake. In addition, to achieve a successful treatment result, the department's cardiologists recommend the patients to adjust their diet, change a sedentary lifestyle to a more active one, give up bad habits and avoid stressful conditions.
The specialists of the medical facility also often admit patients with arrhythmias. The most common types of arrhythmias in the clinical practice of the department's physicians are atrial fibrillation, supraventricular and ventricular tachycardia. Arrhythmias develop due to the impaired electrical activity of the heart. This means that the electrical impulses determining the heart rhythm are generated too often, too rarely or chaotically. To diagnose and determine the exact type of arrhythmia, patients need to undergo resting and stress electrocardiography, echocardiography, 24-hour Holter monitoring, laboratory tests (blood test, urinalysis, etc.). The department's medical team provides conservative treatment for patients suffering from arrhythmias: intake of drugs to normalize heart rhythm, intake of vitamin complexes, sedative and hypotensive drugs. An integral part of the treatment process is diet correction, smoking cessation, refusal of alcohol consumption and regular dosed exercises.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following cardiac diseases:
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- Myocardial infarction
- Heart rhythm disorders (arrhythmias)
- Heart valve pathology
- Arterial hypertension
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Other cardiovascular diseases
The department's range of diagnostic and therapeutic services includes:
- Electrocardiography, including long-term ECG
- Stress electrocardiography and spirometry
- Pulse contour analysis
- Heart ultrasound (echocardiography)
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- 3D echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Contrast-enhanced echocardiography
- Right heart catheterization for diagnostic purposes
- Left heart catheterization for diagnostic purposes
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiac and pulmonary X-ray
- Computed tomography and ultrasound scanning of the internal organs
- Drug therapy
- Left heart catheterization, including stent implantation (for example, for the treatment of coronary artery disease)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Christian Berndt
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1983 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine at the Rhenish Friedrich Wilhelm University of Bonn.
- 1993 Captain of the Medical Service, Guard Battalion of the Federal Ministry of Defense.
- 1998 Doctoral thesis defense, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Bonn. Subject: "Duplex sonography for portal hypertension assessment".
- 1989 - 1998 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine at the District Hospital Waldbröl.
- 1996 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1998 Specialization in Cardiology.
- 1998 - 2011 Senior Physician of the Department of Cardiology at the St. Walburg Hospital Meschede.
- 2011 - 2013 Managing Senior Physician at the Hospital Bielefeld Rosenhöhe.
- Since 2013 Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiology at the Hospital Kloster Grafschaft Schmallenberg.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Fachkrankenhauses Kloster Grafschaft
Department of Cardiology.
Hospital Kloster Grafschaft Schmallenberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.