HELIOS Clinic Hattingen
Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation (251167)
Specialized in: pediatric neurorehabilitation
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation at the HELIOS Clinic Hattingen is headed by Dr. med. Ulf Hustedt. It treats patients of all age groups from infancy to young adults with motor or intellectual disorders, e.g., after the following diseases:
- Brain damage due to injuries / traumatic brain injury
- Brain damage from lack of oxygen (hypoxia)
- Brain damage due to inflammation
- Cerebral hemorrhage / stroke
- Brain tumor
- Spinal cord injury
- Neuromuscular disease
- Cerebral Palsy
- Congenital malformation of the nervous system (such as spina bifida)
- Orthopedic corrective surgery (for example, in case of hip dislocation, curvature of the spine)
The aim of the rehabilitation treatment is the reduction or regression of the disease-related functional disorders in order to give the patients an independent life and to lay the foundations for a normal development of physical and mental abilities.
The following symptoms can be detected as well:
- Spastic or flaccid paralysis of the extremities
- Balance disorders
- Disorders of fine motor skills
- Speech and language disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Impaired memory and concentration
- Poor understanding and
- comprehension of visual and auditory information etc.
The Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation at the HELIOS Clinic Hattingen under the direction of Dr. med. Ulf Hustedt provides treatment to the patients of all age groups after neurosurgery, e.g., due to:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain or spine tumors
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Pathologies of the central nervous system
- Strokes, brain injuries due to the disturbed circulation (ischemic stroke)
- Reduced oxygen supply to the brain (hypoxia)
The range of medical rehabilitation services at primarily covers the following clinical pictures:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Cerebral hemorrhages due to aneurysm, subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Spontaneous hemorrhages due to the high pressure or vascular anomalies (cavernous angioma, arteriovenous fistula, angioma)
- Benign and malignant tumors of brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves (e.g., metastases, astrocytoma, glioblastoma, meningioma, ependymoma, medulloblastoma)
- Brain injuries due to the disturbed circulation (ischemic stroke) or reduced oxygen supply to the brain (hypoxia)
- Spine diseases with the focus on lesions of the spinal cord (traverse myelitis), nerve roots and peripheral neurological complications (herniated discs, spinal stenosis, tumors, hemorrhages, accidents)
- Pathologies of the brain and spinal cord (hydrocephalus, syringomyelia, meningocele)
- Injuries of the peripheral nerves
Especially during the treatment of the patients in childhood and adolescents the range of services offered by the Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation at the HELIOS Clinic Hattingen under the direction of Dr. med. Ulf Hustedt is completed with the following clinical pictures:
- Congenital or acquired in early childhood neurological disorders or brain injuries
- Condition after preterm birth
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Developmental disorders of different etiologies or unknown origin
- Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system
School-age children can receive education in the hospital's own, state recognized school, regardless of the holiday period, individually or in groups. They learn the subjects, which are necessary for the next class.
- 04/1989 - 04/1995 Study of Medicine, Free University of Berlin, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, University of London
- 1995 Doctoral Degree: Humboldt Univ. Berlin. Human medicine, Doctor medicinae, State examination
- 07/1995 - 12/1996 Research Associate (Neurology), Charité Berlin
- 01/1997 - 12/2000 Research Associate (Neuropaediatrics), University Hospital Dresden
- 01/2001 - 12/2004 Medical Director, Publicis Vital GmbH
- 07/2001 - 03/2014 Senior Physician, Head of the Department for Movement Disorders, Centre of Social Pediatrics to the Hospital Frankfurt Höchst
- Since 01/2005 Managing Director, med + ED - Agency for Medical Education
- Since 06/2014 Chief Physician, HELIOS Kliniken GmbH
Department of Pediatric Neurological Rehabilitation.
HELIOS Clinic Hattingen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home