HELIOS Clinic Hattingen
Department of Adult Neurological Rehabilitation (284513)
Specialized in: adult neurological rehabilitation
About the Department of Adult Neurological Rehabilitation at HELIOS Clinic Hattingen
The Department of Adult Neurological Rehabilitation at the HELIOS Clinic Hattingen offers the full range of rehabilitation programs for patients with neurological disorders. Of particular interest is early rehabilitation. In addition, the department provides neuropsychiatric rehabilitation. This type of rehabilitation takes place in a separate enclosed building surrounded by a garden. The clinical practice involves the use of modern rehabilitation procedures, including state-of-the-art robotic systems for training balance, gait and restoring hand functions. The highly qualified specialists work with patients, who surround them with care and do everything possible to reintegrate into their usual lives. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Axel Petershofer.
The department has at its disposal modern diagnostic equipment. The patients can undergo such diagnostic tests as radiography, MRI, including MR angiography, ultrasound scanning, electroneurophysiological studies, video endoscopic diagnostics of swallowing, ECG, etc. The diagnostic tests allow doctors to assess the patient’s condition and develop an optimal rehabilitation scheme for him.
The classical types of physical therapy to restore mobility are supplemented by rehabilitation measures using professional robotic systems. The department uses such innovative equipment as the Erigo® tilt-table, the Lokomat® robotic orthopedic simulator for restoring gait, the Andago® simulator for more intensive gait training, and the Armeo®Spring simulator for restoring hand and arm functions. The training on robotic devices gives an effective result. Such therapy is mostly prescribed for paraplegia, stroke, traumatic brain injuries, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease.
The indications for neurological rehabilitation are the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Brain hemorrhage in case of ruptured aneurysm, subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Spontaneous bleeding from the cerebral vessels (for example, due to arterial hypertension, vascular malformations)
- Benign and malignant neoplasms of the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves (for example, astrocytoma, glioblastoma, meningioma, ependymoma, medulloblastoma, as well as metastases)
- Brain damage due to circulatory disorders or hypoxia
- Spinal diseases with a particular focus on spinal cord lesions (complete transverse spinal cord injury syndrome), nerve root and peripheral nerve lesions (herniated disc, spinal stenosis, tumor, bleeding, injuries)
- Malformations of the brain and spinal cord (hydrocephalus, syringomyelia, meningocele)
- Peripheral nerve lesions
- Conditions after neurosurgical operations for traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, brain or spinal cord tumors, stroke, etc.
- Other diseases
The department’s therapeutic range of services includes:
- Physiotherapy (individual and group training)
- Training using the Erigo® tilt-table to restore balance while standing
- Forced-use therapy
- "Music and movements" training complex
- Kinesio taping
- Therapeutic golf rehabilitation
- Relaxation procedures
- Manual therapy (classical massage, massage of reflexogenic zones on the feet, colon massage, manual lymphatic drainage, compression procedures)
- Hydrotherapy (four-chamber baths, therapeutic baths with special additives, Kneipp therapy)
- Heat therapy (the use of special mud, infrared light, hot compresses)
- Perfetti method
- Bobath therapy
- Affolter approach
- Training to restore self-care skills (personal hygiene, eating, etc.)
- Neuropsychological care to eliminate attention, memory, perception disorders, personality disorders
- Speech and language therapy (individual and group training) to restore speech and eliminate problems with swallowing
- Remedial gymnastics (mainly group training)
- Balance training
- Endurance training
- Training to improve motor function
- Lokomat® training
- Robotic rehabilitation therapy
- Training on the special Erigo® tilt-table
- Training on the Lokomat® robotic orthopedic simulator for gait restoration
- Training on the Andago® simulator for more intense gait training
- Training on the Armeo®Spring simulator to restore the functions of the hand and arm
- Art therapy
- Music therapy
- Other rehabilitation services
Photo of the doctor: (c) VAMED Gesundheit Holding Deutschland GmbH
Department of Adult Neurological Rehabilitation.
HELIOS Clinic Hattingen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.