Helios Hospital Hildesheim
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (20)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at Helios Hospital Hildesheim
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Helios Hospital Hildesheim offers both diagnostics and treatment of the full range of diseases in children. The medical facility admits young patients with surgical pathologies, diseases of the nervous system and epilepsy, diseases of the heart, lungs, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, diabetes mellitus, growth disorders, allergies and skin pathologies. A specially trained team of competent doctors is responsible for the treatment of a particular group of diseases, thanks to which high treatment success rates are achieved. The department also has the status of the Level I Perinatal Center, so newborns receive high quality care and medical services. The department's doctors have in their arsenal many modern methods of diagnostics and treatment for the fight against diseases of any severity. The medical facility has a pleasant and friendly atmosphere in which children feel as comfortable as possible. The doctors always strive to establish close contact and trusting relationships with the child. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Karsten Harms.
The department's doctors are distinguished by excellent skills in pediatric surgery. They perform various surgical procedures for the treatment of congenital and acquired diseases, as well as injuries in children of all age groups. A large number of surgical interventions are performed for congenital diseases and malformations in newborns. Thanks to close cooperation with the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, the expectant mother can find out about the congenital pathology of her baby even at the stage of intrauterine development. In this case, the department's pediatric surgeons can plan further therapeutic measures even before the baby is born. The department's pediatric surgeons prefer sparing minimally invasive techniques, therefore, most operations in children are performed using this type of surgery. Minor interventions are often performed on an outpatient basis, without hospitalization.
A special place in the department's clinical practice is given to early detection and treatment of congenital and acquired cardiovascular diseases. Pediatric cardiologists most often deal with heart defects, heart rhythm disturbances (arrhythmias), arterial hypertension and heart murmurs. At the stage of diagnostics, the attending physician carries out a clinical examination, electrocardiography and cardiac ultrasound imaging (echocardiography). In especially complex cases, cardiac CT can also be performed. Then the most effective treatment method is determined. It is worth noting that the department's doctors cooperate closely with pediatric cardiologists from the University Hospital Goettingen and the Hanover Medical School – some of the best university medical complexes in Germany.
The department's neurologists carry out both diagnostics and treatment of nervous system diseases in children and adolescents. The most common pathologies in this area include epilepsy, physical and mental developmental disorders, syndromic diseases (for example, Down syndrome), neuromuscular diseases, chronic headaches, psychosomatic disorders and other pathologies. The specialists have vast experience in the treatment of various forms of epilepsy in children. The therapeutic options include not only drug therapy, but also the use of a ketogenic diet. As of today, it has been proven that such a diet gives excellent results in the fight against epilepsy in children. In addition, the department is the only medical facility in the region that performs vagus nerve stimulation – an innovative and effective therapeutic procedure.
The therapeutic offer of the medical facility is complemented by the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases in children and adolescents. To determine the causes of disorder in the work of the digestive system, the specialists carry out comprehensive laboratory and instrumental tests. If necessary, gastroscopy and colonoscopy can be performed in cooperation with the Department of Gastroenterology. The key focus is on the treatment of nutrient intake disorders, which can cause delayed growth and physical development, chronic inflammatory bowel disease and chronic abdominal pain of unknown origin. Depending on the particular clinical case, the optimal course of drug therapy is prescribed to a child.
Younger patients can also undergo diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus. The department's doctors admit children between the ages of 0 and 18 with type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus, as well as with such rare types of pathology as type 3 diabetes mellitus (for example, MODY), diabetes mellitus accompanied by cystic fibrosis, and diabetes mellitus in newborns. Children with diabetes mellitus receive medical care not only from diabetologists, but also from nutritionists, physiotherapists, psychologists and other doctors. The main treatment method of diabetes mellitus in children is insulin therapy. Diet therapy is also an integral part of the therapeutic process. Children with diabetes mellitus and their parents are provided with special consultations, during which doctors talk about the necessary restrictions and lifestyle modifications to prevent the progression of the pathology.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired surgical diseases
- Congenital malformations in newborns
- Congenital and acquired malformations in young children and adolescents
- Malformations and surgical diseases of the reproductive organs (especially in boys)
- Injuries, including bone fractures
- Diagnostics and treatment of cardiac diseases in children
- Congenital and acquired heart defects
- Heart rhythm disturbances (arrhythmias)
- Arterial hypertension
- Heart murmur
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurological diseases in children
- Congenital or acquired disorders of physical and mental development
- Syndromic disorders (for example, Down syndrome)
- Behavioral disorders
- Chronic headaches
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Psychosomatic disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus
- Type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus
- Rare types of diabetes mellitus, including type 3 diabetes mellitus (for example, MODY), diabetes mellitus accompanied by cystic fibrosis, and diabetes mellitus in newborns.
- Diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal diseases in children
- Nutrient intake disorders, which can cause delayed growth and physical development
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Chronic abdominal pain of unknown origin
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney and lower urinary tract diseases
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Urinary tract diseases (ureteral stenosis, urethral stenosis, ureteral stones)
- Kidney malformations
- Cystic kidney disease
- Impaired kidney function
- Kidney failure
- Arterial hypertension caused by kidney disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung diseases in children
- Respiratory tract infections (bronchitis and pneumonia)
- Bronchial asthma
- Cystic fibrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of growth disorders in children
- Genetically determined short stature
- Hormonal disorders causing growth disorders
- Chronic diseases causing growth disorders
- Constitutional short stature
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases and allergies in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of other pathologies in children and adolescents
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Karsten Harms
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1977 - 1983 Study of Human Medicine, Georg August University of Goettingen.
- 1983 - 1985 Assistant Physician in the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Goettingen.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Changes in electrolyte balance in pregnant rabbits and their fetuses with the introduction of various doses of the sympathomimetic preparation beta 2 fenoterol in combination with low and high fluid consumption".
- 1985 - 1995 Physician in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Goettingen.
- 1995 Venia Legendi (factors influencing the morbidity and mortality of preterm infants in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Goettingen – study on 1,100 preterm infants).
- 1995 - 2005 Consulting Physician in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Goettingen, and Senior Consulting Physician in the Department of Neonatology.
- 2002 Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Georg August University of Goettingen.
- Since 2005 Chief Physician in the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Helios Hospital Hildesheim.
- General pediatrics.
- Pediatric cardiology.
- Ultrasound diagnostics.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Kliniken GmbH
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
Helios Hospital Hildesheim:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.