Helios Hospital Hildesheim
Department of Vascular Surgery (254461)
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the Helios Hospital Hildesheim offers all the options of modern medicine for the effective treatment of vascular diseases. The main areas of clinical activity of the medical facility include the treatment of aneurysms, carotid artery stenoses and occlusions, circulatory disorders, varicose veins, as well as surgical interventions for the formation of dialysis access and the placement of port systems. In cooperation with the Department of Cardiology, the department also performs operations for the implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators. The department's operating rooms are equipped with the latest technology, and meet modern standards of hygiene and safety. Special attention should be paid to a highly professional medical team, which makes every effort to restore the health of patients with vascular pathologies. The department is headed by Dr. med. Kai Röttger.
The department's doctors are proud of their rich and successful experience in the surgical treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Aneurysms (abnormal protrusions of the blood vessel wall or its thinning) are one of the most common pathologies in vascular surgery. Without timely treatment, they can be fatal. As a rule, the patient does not experience any symptoms and may not be aware of the presence of an aneurysm for a long time. In most cases, aneurysms are detected by chance, during ultrasound or X-ray examinations. Computed tomography (CT) may be needed to confirm the diagnosis. In addition, the CT scan allows the doctors to assess the condition of the vessel affected by the aneurysm and determine whether the patient needs surgery. The department's surgical options include bypass surgery with removal of the affected area of the vessel and its replacement with a prosthesis, as well as stent implantation using endovascular surgical techniques.
A large number of operations performed in the department are interventions for carotid artery stenosis or obstruction. These pathological conditions are also often asymptomatic, but if left untreated, patients are at increased risk of stroke – one of the most common causes of death worldwide. To treat carotid artery stenoses and obstructions, the department's vascular surgeons perform both classical open operations and sparing catheter procedures for vascular stenting. These surgeries are performed using neuromonitoring systems, which allows controlling the patient's brain activity during the operation. The optimal treatment is selected individually, after a thorough study of the patient's clinical data.
The competence of the department's surgeons also includes the treatment of circulatory disorders. Both open and endovascular operations using catheters are performed here. The department's specialists quite often resort to hybrid surgery, which combines open and endovascular surgical techniques.
Another important focus of the department's medical team is on the treatment of varicose veins. At the early stages of the pathology, conservative treatment (compression therapy) is usually used, while more advanced cases require an invasive intervention. The service range in this area includes classical surgical interventions, sclerotherapy and radiofrequency therapy.
The department's range of surgical services includes:
- Surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Surgery for carotid artery stenoses and obstructions
- Surgery for peripheral circulatory disorders
- Surgery for the formation of dialysis access
- Surgery for the implantation of port systems
- Surgery for the implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators (in cooperation with cardiologists)
- Other medical services
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1982 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1989 Doctoral Degree in Medicine (research work on replantation surgery for complex amputation hand injuries), Surgery Center at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1988 - 1995 Specialized surgical training, Hospital Marien Osnabrueck, as well as qualification in Emergency Medical Care.
- 1995 - 1998 Specialized training in Vascular Surgery, Westerstede.
- Since August 1998 Creation and management of the interdisciplinary Center for Vascular Surgery Hildesheim-Salzgitter certified by the German Societies of Vascular Surgery and Vascular Medicine, Radiology and Angiology; board certification in Endovascular Surgery.
- 2021 Advanced training, University of Applied Sciences Mittelhessen Hesse.
- Since 2015 Chief Physician of the Department of Vascular Surgery at the Helios Hospital Hildesheim.
- Endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms.
- Operations to form dialysis access (bypass, catheter placement).
- Bypass surgery for circulatory disorders in the lower limbs.
- Implantation of pacemakers (in cooperation with the Department of Cardiology).
- Surgical interventions on the carotid artery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Kliniken GmbH
Department of Vascular Surgery.
Helios Hospital Hildesheim:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.