Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Infectology and Rheumatology (302912)
Specialized in: oncology, hematology, infectology, rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Oncology, Hematology, Infectology and Rheumatology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg provides the full range of top-class diagnostic and therapeutic services in these medical fields. Of particular interest is the treatment of various cancers, hematological diseases, bone marrow transplantation, palliative care, treatment of infectious and rheumatic diseases, tropical diseases, as well as clinical immunology. The department is a certified member of the interdisciplinary Cancer Center of the hospital, which guarantees the comprehensive and most effective cancer therapy in accordance with the very latest scientific achievements. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Martin Wilhelm.
The department annually diagnoses and treats about 5,000 patients, while 2,900 of them are diagnosed with cancer. Thus, the medical facility is one of the leading specialized Cancer Centers in Germany. An experienced and competent team of highly qualified specialists, who have more than 1,000 systems of therapy schemes, takes care of the patients' health. The department offers all the options of modern therapy for the treatment of malignancies, including bone marrow transplantation. Close cooperation with the experts from the Department of Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy allows the doctors to provide professional psycho-oncological care, which is an essential component of successful treatment. The therapeutic offer is also complemented by the provision of palliative care for patients with incurable cancer.
It is worth noting that the Research Center has been operating on the basis of the department for more than 20 years. Currently, it carries out 45 clinical trials on oncology and hematology, which gives patients the opportunity to receive innovative treatments.
In addition, the department specializes in autologous and allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in accordance with modern international standards. Such transplantations are performed as part of the treatment of blood and lymph node cancers. The bone marrow can be transplanted from both related and unrelated donors.
Another priority focus of specialists is the diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory rheumatic and autoimmune diseases. A team of doctors of this specialization treats all types of inflammatory rheumatic diseases. The collaboration with other institutes and departments of the hospital allows them to carry out the comprehensive interdisciplinary diagnostics and treatment of patients. The department carries out all diagnostic examinations, including immunological and molecular genetic tests, high-resolution arthrosonography, magnetic resonance imaging, X-ray and computed tomography. The treatment can take place on both inpatient and outpatient basis. Depending on the complexity and severity of the pathology, the optimal drug therapy scheme is selected for the patient. The rheumatologists mostly have to deal with the treatment of vasculitides, collagenoses, severe types of inflammatory joint diseases (for example, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, spondylitis), infections caused by immunosuppressive therapy, fevers of unknown origin and systemic diseases.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancer, including palliative care and psycho-oncological support
- Diagnostics and treatment of hematological diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood-clotting disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious and parasitic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of tropical diseases
- Diagnostics and therapy of congenital and acquired immunodeficiency conditions (including HIV and AIDS infections)
- Bone marrow transplantation (autologous and allogeneic), including preparation and follow-up care after transplantation
- Other medical services
- 1983 - 1985 Research Activities at the Institute of Immunology, University of Munich.
- 1992 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1994 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Internal Medicine.
- 1994 Creation of the Department of Stem Cell Transplantation at the University of Würzburg.
- 1996 Specialization in Hematology and Oncology.
- 1996 MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA.
- 1999 Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, USA.
- 2001 Extraordinary Professorship, University of Würzburg.
- 2001 C3 Professorship in Internal Medicine, University of Würzburg.
- Since 2003 Chief Physician of the Department of Oncology, Hematology, Infectology and Rheumatology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- 2004 Certificate of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO).
- Tumor Immunology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society for Immunology.
- German Working Group on Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation.
- South Germany Hemoblastosis Group.
- German Society of Hematology and Oncology.
- German Cancer Society.
- Working Group on Oncology.
- Working Group on Gene Therapy.
- European Hematology Association.
- American Society of Hematology.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Nürnberg
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Infectology and Rheumatology.
Academic Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.