Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Urology (302917)
Specialized in: urology
About the department
The Department of Urology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg offers the full range of modern diagnostics and treatment of genitourinary diseases in men. One of the department's key clinical focuses is the treatment of prostate cancer. This pathology is treated within the specialized center, which is certified in accordance with DIN EN ISO 9001: 2008 LGA InterCert standard and is part of the German Association of Prostate Centers. In addition, the department operates the specialized Center for Incontinence and Pelvic Floor Disorders. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Sascha Pahernik.
The department has 70 beds and annually treats about 4000 patients. The department has an in-house Section of Radiology, operating rooms, diagnostic and outpatient units. In addition, the patients are provided with round-the-clock emergency medical care.
The team of the department's doctors has rich and successful experience in the treatment of various urological diseases. One of the most common diagnoses is prostate cancer. The department offers the very latest and the most effective treatment methods for this pathology. In addition to radical prostatectomy, brachytherapy (a type of radiation therapy, during which the radiation source is placed inside the prostate gland) and external radiation (sessions are performed using linear accelerator, 5 times a week for 7-9 weeks). This type of therapy is optimal for the patients with contraindicated surgery, and patients over the age of 65 years. The department's specialists also use high-intensity focused ultrasound (using this technique, high power ultrasound waves focus on prostate tissue through acoustic lenses, which leads to coagulative tumor necrosis) and hormone therapy (in the form of surgical castration, drug castration and administration of antiandrogens).
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostate cancer
- Radical prostatectomy
- External irradiation
- High-intensity focused ultrasound
- Hormone therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Greenlight laser vaporization
- Holmium laser treatment
- Transurethral electroresection of the prostate
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of penile cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of bladder diseases
- Bladder augmentation surgery
- Removal of bladder diverticula
- Removal of bladder fistulas
- Surgery to treat bladder neck stenosis
- Resection of the bladder neck
- Transurethral resection of the bladder tumor
- Lithotripsy for bladder stone fragmentation
- Partial bladder resection
- Injections of botulinum toxin in the bladder
- Removal of foreign bodies from the bladder
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence in men and women
- Diagnostics and treatment of erectile dysfunction in men
- Diagnostics and treatment of ureteral diseases
- Ureteral plastic surgery
- Ureteral neoplasm resection
- Ureteral splinting
- Implantation of a transrenal (antegrade) stent
- Diagnostics and treatment of urethral diseases
- Bougienage or dissection in urethral stricture
- Urethral stenting in its stricture
- Urethral reconstruction in its stricture
- Urethral plastic surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney stone disease
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of testicular diseases
- Orchiectomy (testicle removal surgery)
- Orchiopexy (operation, which is performed in order to fix the testicle by means of sutures in cryptorchidism)
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases
- Kidney cyst removal
- Kidney fistula removal
- Removal and fragmentation of kidney stones
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal gland diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of infertility in men
- Diagnostics and treatment of other urological diseases, other therapeutic procedures
- 02.2016 Chief Physician of the Department of Urology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- 02.2014 Theoretical basis of the specialty in Radiation Protection.
- 05.2012 Academic Exchange Program, Minimally Invasive Surgery in Urologic Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, People's Republic of China.
- 03.2012 Admission to carry out the advanced training courses in the drug tumor therapy.
- 07.2011 Academic Exchange Program, Minimally Invasive Surgery in Urologic Oncology, General Hospital (Chinese PLA General Hospital), Beijing, People's Republic of China.
- 01.2011 Deputy Head of the Department of Urology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 04.2010 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Urology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 06.2009 Additional qualifications in Drug Tumor Therapy.
- 05.2009 Additional qualification in Andrology.
- 04.2009 Optional advanced training in Special Urologic Surgery.
- 01.2008 Senior Physician, Department of Urology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 10.2006 Board certification in Urology, Department of Urology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 03.2004 - 10.2006 Board certification in Urology, Department of Urology, University Hospital Mainz.
- 03.2004 Board certification in Urology.
- 09.1999 - 03.2004 Research Fellow in the Department of Urology, University Hospital Mainz.
- 01.1998 - 08.1999 Research Fellow at the Institute for Surgical Research, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 07.1996 - 12.1997 Internship, Department of Surgery and Institute of Surgical Research, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 12.2008 Habilitation in Urology, University of Heidelberg. Subject: "Stage-adapted therapy for local renal cell carcinoma".
- 01.2000 Doctoral thesis defense, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "Human hepatocytes immobilized in 3D collagen matrix – an in vitro model for long-term studies of differentiated hepatocytes".
- 05.1990 - 07.1996 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Urology.
- European Association of Urology.
- International Society of Urology.
- Chinese-German Urological Association.
- German Continence Society.
Positions in Funds and Organizations
- 2005 Board Member of the Else Kröner-Fresenius Foundation.
- Since 2006 Member of the Scientific Commission of the Else Kröner-Fresenius Foundation.
- Since 2014 Board Member of the Chinese-German Urological Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Nürnberg
Department of Urology.
Academic Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.