Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (302923)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at Academic Hospital Nuremberg
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the central nervous system. To provide the most effective treatment, the department's specialists use state-of-the-art medical equipment, in particular, surgical microscopes, neuronavigation, laser devices, intraoperative ultrasound, equipment for stereotactic procedures, intraoperative electrophysiological monitoring, intraoperative fluorescence, etc. In addition, the successful treatment outcome is facilitated by close interdisciplinary cooperation with the experts in neurology, anesthesiology, otolaryngology, neuroradiology and traumatology. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Hans Steiner.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors
- Brain metastasis
- Diagnostics and treatment of skull base tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal cord tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary tumors (pituitary adenoma)
- Diagnostics and treatment of trigeminal neuralgia
- Diagnostics and treatment of traumatic brain injuries, spinal injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of peripheral nerve compression syndromes
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic back pain
- Diagnostics and treatment of vascular malformations of the nervous system
- Spinal surgery (for example, in spinal disc herniation, spondylolisthesis)
- Functional neurosurgery (treatment of chronic pain and movement disorders)
- Epidural spinal cord stimulation
- Deep brain stimulation
- Occipital nerve stimulation
- Dorsal root ganglion stimulation
- Therapy using intrathecal drug delivery systems
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurological disorders in children
- Congenital malformations (for example, Arnold-Chiari malformation, myelomeningocele)
- Vascular malformations
- Traumatic brain injuries and spinal fractures
- Brain tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases, other therapeutic methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hans Steiner
- 1975 - 1979 Faculty of Philosophy, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 1975 - 1982 Study of Human Medicine, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 04.1982 Medical examination and admission to medical practice.
- 1983 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Erlangen. Subject: "EEG results in autoimmune diseases".
- 2003 Habilitation and Venia legendi, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Heidelberg. Subject: "Profiles of vascular endothelial growth factor in primary and secondary glioblastomas and their clinical significance for therapy by using angiogenesis inhibitors".
- 2006 Extraordinary Professorship, University of Heidelberg.
- 04.1991 - 06.1991 Department of Neurosurgery (neurovascular microsurgery), Barrow Neurological Institute, University of Arizona, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- 07.1999 - 09.1999 Department of Neurosurgery (surgical treatment of epilepsy), Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- 04.1982 - 09.1982 Assistant Physician, Department of Ophthalmology, Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- 01.1984 - 11.1991 Assistant Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 04.1991 Board certification in Neurosurgery.
- 12.1991 Senior Physician (later Senior Executive Physician), Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 06.2006 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- Brain and spinal cord tumors (neuro-oncology).
- Vascular malformations of the nervous system (vascular neurosurgery).
- Degenerative spinal diseases (for example, spinal disc herniation).
- Head and spinal injuries (neurotraumatology).
- Congenital malformations of the skull, spinal cord and spine.
- Hydrocephalus, including endoscopic procedures.
- Diseases and injuries of the peripheral nervous system.
Prizes and Honors
- 2004 Clinical Science Award, German Society for Immunotherapy.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Neurosurgery.
- European Association of Neuro-Oncology.
- Working Group on Neuro-Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- German Society of Immuno- and Targeted Therapy (DGFIT).
Work in Editorial Boards
- Critical Care Medicine.
- Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology.
- Journal of Cell Biology.
- Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Nürnberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
Academic Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.