Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery (302924)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric cardiac surgery
About the department
According to the reputable Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the surgical treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
The department offers the full range of surgical interventions on the cardiovascular system, including the very latest techniques, for example, minimally invasive surgery or cardiac valve reconstruction. The operations are performed by highly qualified cardiac surgeons with successful clinical experience and thousands of lives saved. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Theodor Fischlein.
The department annually performs more than 1,500 surgical interventions on the heart and large vessels. At the same time, about 1,000 of them are performed on an open heart, using a heart-lung machine. The team of surgeons is also ready for emergency surgery around the clock.
Thanks to modern operating technologies, which make it possible to carry out sparing minimally invasive interventions, the department can also successfully perform operations in elderly patients. To ensure effective treatment, the department has 3 new operating rooms, including a hybrid operating room with the possibility of HD-quality imaging diagnostics and cardioangiography for the treatment of arrhythmias. Thus, all endovascular and open surgical diagnostic and therapeutic techniques are available for the patients.
The key areas of the department's clinical practice include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting for the treatment of coronary heart disease
- Aortic aneurysm surgery
- Aortic valve surgery
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation
- Implantation of seamless aortic valve prostheses
- Surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation (ablative techniques)
- Implantation of pacemaker
- Implantation of defibrillator
- Surgical treatment of heart failure, including cardiac resynchronization therapy, artificial heart implantation
- Surgical correction of congenital heart defects in infants and children
- Emergency cardiac surgery
- Hybrid interventions on the heart and large vessels
- Outpatient care for patients with impaired wound healing
- Other surgical options
- 1978 - 1985 Study of Human Medicine and Biology, University of Vienna.
- 1985 Doctoral Degree, University of Vienna.
- 1985 - 1991 Research Fellow, Institute of Anatomy, University of Vienna (highly specialized anatomy training).
- 01.09.1985 - 30.11.1985 Internship at the Heeresspital Wien, Vienna.
- 01.12.1985 - 28.02.1987 Assistant Physician, Institute of Anatomy, University of Vienna.
- 30.06.1986 - 28.02.1987 Doctor of the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Vienna.
- 01.03.1987 - 30.09.1991 Assistant Physician in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, as well as rotation in General Surgery.
- 1991 Board certification in Surgery, Austrian Medical Association.
- 01.10.1991 - 28.02.1997 Research Fellow (since 01.03.1995 Senior Physician) of the Department of Cardiac Surgery, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich; Internship abroad at Stanford University, California, USA, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery.
- 1994 Board сertification in Surgery, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 1996 Habilitation in Cardiac Surgery, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 01.03.1997 - 30.04.2000 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 01.05.2000 C3 Professor (Extraordinary Professor of Cardiac Surgery), University of Erlangen-Nuremberg; until 28.02.2007 – Representative of the Director of the Hospital and Leading Senior Physician, as well as Head of the Transplantation Program.
- Since 01.03.2007 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- Since 2014 Professor of Cardiac Surgery, Paracelsus Private Medical University of Salzburg.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- German Society of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Research.
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery.
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery.
- Austrian Society of Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery.
- International Society for Applied Cardiovascular Biology (Member of the Executive and Advisory Boards).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Nürnberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
Academic Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.