Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Neurology (302926)
Specialized in: neurology
About the Department of Neurology at Academic Hospital Nuremberg
The Department of Neurology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, as well as of the autonomic and peripheral nervous systems. Particular attention is paid to the provision of medical care for patients with inflammatory and infectious diseases, stroke, brain tumors, degenerative diseases (for example, Parkinson's disease). In addition, the department specializes in neurological intensive care. It treats about 4,500 patients every year. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Frank Erbguth.
Since 1997, the department has been operating the specialized Stroke Unit, which specialists provide emergency care to stroke patients. This unit was one of the first medical facilities of this kind in Bavaria. It is certified by the German Stroke Foundation and the German Stroke Society, and is also on the list of recommended German Stroke Units. The team of neurologists of the Stroke Unit provides both diagnostic and therapeutic services for about 500 patients annually. The purpose of the unit is to provide optimal care in acute phase of stroke in accordance with the very latest scientific achievements. The Stroke Unit takes part in the project of the Bavarian Working Group for Quality Management in Inpatient Health Care (BAQ). Thus, it has all the resources for the provision of the most effective and competent care for stroke patients and prevention of complications of this pathology.
An equally important field of work is the treatment of oncopathologies of the nervous system. The team of the department's neurologists diagnoses tumors in more than 50 patients every year. They mostly detect primary brain tumors and brain metastasis. The doctors also have successful experience in the treatment of such rare pathologies as paraneoplastic neurologic syndromes in tumors of various organs. The treatment regimen is developed for each patient individually, within the neuro-oncological boards with the participation of all the necessary doctors.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors, including brain metastasis
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of Parkinson's disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of headache
- Diagnostics and treatment of Lyme disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of meningitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of back pain
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological disorders
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Frank Erbguth
- 1992 Board certification in Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 1994 Optional advanced training in Neurological Intensive Care.
- 1999 Optional advanced training in Geriatric Neurology.
- 1998 C3 Professorship in the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since May 2011 Chief Physician of the Department of Neurology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
Scientific and Clinical Focuses
- Cerebrovascular diseases.
- Neurological intensive care.
- Motor disorders.
- Medical ethics.
Memberships in Professional Societies, Commissions and Organizations
- Commission Member of the "Digital Indicators and Quality Assurance" of the German Neurological Society (DGN).
- Commission Member on the Scientific Poster Presentations of the German Neurological Society (DGN).
- Commission Member of Leading Physicians of the German Neurological Society (DGN).
- Commission Member of the Leading Physicians of the German Neurological Society (DGN).
- Board Member of the Working Group "Botulinum Toxin Therapy" of the German Neurological Society (DGN).
- Advisory Board Member of the German Society for Neurocritical Care and Emergency Medicine (DGNI).
- Specialist and Consultant at the Bavarian State Medical Association, specialization "Optional Modern Neurological Intensive Care".
- Regional Representative of the German Stroke Foundation.
- Chairman of the Ethics Forum at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- Member of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Board of the German Dystonia Association.
- Commission Member for the determination of the voluntariness and gratuitousness of organ donation from living people at the Transplant Centre Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- Member of the Expert Group "Off-label drug use" at the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (appointed by the Federal Ministry of Health).
- Member of the specialized commission "Stroke" of the Bavarian Working Group for Quality Management in Inpatient Health Care (BAQ).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Nürnberg
Department of Neurology.
Academic Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.