Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Neurology (302926)
Specialized in: neurology
The Department of Neurology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg under the direction of Prof. Dr. Frank Erbguth deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, autonomic and peripheral nervous systems, in particular, inflammatory and infectious diseases, strokes, brain tumors, degenerative diseases (e.g. Parkinson’s disease or dystonia). In addition, the department specializes in the treatment of seizures and neurological intensive care medicine.
The department has 94 beds for emergency neurological care. They belong to two general neurological departments, each of which include 30 beds, and to a certified interregional Intensive Care Unit for stroke patients. The department is the recognized Stroke Center within the Network for Stroke and Telemedicine in Northern Bavaria (“STENO”).
The Department of Neurology is focused on the treatment of oncological diseases. Every year, the department treats 50 patients diagnosed with cancer. The doctors provide treatment of common tumors, such as primary brain tumors and metastases, as well as the treatment of rare neurological paraneoplastic syndromes in cancers of various organs. There are used innovative techniques, such as intrathecal chemotherapy, i.e. administration of the drug directly into the cerebrospinal fluid.The physicians of the department regularly participate in neuro-oncological tumor boards for brain tumors.
The range of medical services of the department:
- Diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnosis and treatment of degenerative diseases of the nervous system
- Diagnosis and treatment of demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system
- Diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory CNS disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the meninges
- Diagnosis and treatment of extrapyramidal and motor disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of geriatric diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of benign brain tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the nerves, nerve roots and nerve plexus
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the neuromuscular junctions and muscles
- Nuremberg, Germany