Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Pulmonology, Allergology and Somnology (302930)
Specialized in: pulmonology, allergology, somnology
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology, Allergology and Somnology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg provides all services for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract, allergic reactions and sleep-related breathing disorders. Clinical practice focuses on the comprehensive treatment of respiratory diseases, lung parenchyma, circulatory disorders in the lungs, respiratory failure, lung infections and allergic diseases. The department also specializes in the treatment of lung cancer and is part of the Lung Cancer Center, which is certified by the German Cancer Society. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Ficker.
The department has 155 beds for inpatient treatment. In addition, the department operates a special unit for patients with tuberculosis and a general unit with experts in the field of pulmonology and thoracic surgery. The department's structure also includes the Intensive Care Unit with 36 beds. The department has cutting-edge equipment for all the necessary therapeutic measures, including extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. To provide the diagnostics of sleep, the department offers a progressive laboratory with 18 polysomnography beds. All structural units of the department form a solid foundation for the comprehensive and effective treatment.
The department annually diagnoses and treats about 7,500 patients, and therefore is considered the largest Pulmonary Center in Germany. Lung cancer treatment is a primary focus of clinical practice. Lung cancer is diagnosed in about 100 patients of the department annually. This pathology is diagnosed and treated within the specialized Lung Cancer Center. The department employs an interdisciplinary team of pulmonologists, thoracic surgeons and specialists in radiation therapy who work for the benefit of their patients. The therapeutic options include radiation therapy, chemotherapy, endoscopic treatment techniques, treatment as part of clinical trials, etc.
The priorities of the department's clinical activities include:
- Pulmonary function testing
- Spirometry/body plethysmography
- Lung diffusing capacity measurement
- Blood oxygenation measurement
- Inhalation provocation tests
- Ultrasound diagnostics of the respiratory system, including ultrasound-guided therapeutic procedures (for example, the drainage implantation)
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, including pulmonary emphysema
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic cough
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of tuberculosis
- Diagnostics of suspected tuberculosis using all the options of laboratory, imaging diagnostics and interventional diagnostic procedures
- Treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis: miliary, extensive cavernous tuberculosis of the lymph nodes of the lung hilum, tuberculous pleurisy
- Treatment of all types of extrapulmonary tuberculosis: bone tuberculosis, urogenital tuberculosis, lymph node tuberculosis
- Treatment of tuberculosis in concomitant immunodeficiencies or cancers (for example, concomitant hepatitis or HIV infection, lung cancer)
- Treatment of tuberculosis with concomitant psychiatric disorders
- Correction of side effects caused by tuberculosis therapy
- Treatment of tuberculosis in multidrug resistance (up to the surgical treatment in collaboration with thoracic surgeons)
- Treatment of atypical mycobacteriosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep-related breathing disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions
- Pollen allergy
- Insect venom allergy
- Bronchoscopy (for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes)
- Home mechanical ventilation in acute and chronic respiratory failure
- Intensive care
- Smoking cessation programs
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 17.05.1989 Admission to medical practice.
- 1989 - 1999 Research Fellow in the Department of Internal Medicine I at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 09.08.1995 Board certification in Internal Medicine (Internist) of the Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 12.12.1996 Board certification in Pulmonology of the Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 05.07.1998 Qualification certification in Somnology of the German Society for Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine (DGSM).
- 07.10.1999 Habilitation in Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 01.11.1999 - 31.05.2003 Senior Physician and Head of the Section of Pulmonology in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Erlangen I.
- Since 13.11.1999 Admission to carry out advanced training courses in Pulmonology, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 31.07.2002 Certificate "Quality Management in Medicine", Bavarian State Medical Association.
- Since 01.06.2003 Head of the Department of Pulmonology, Allergology and Somnology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- 29.09.2003 Authorization for advanced training courses in Internal Medicine, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 05.10.2005 Qualification in Sleep Medicine, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 19.12.2005 Extraordinary Professorship at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 02.10.2007 Qualification in Drug Therapy of Tumors, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- Since 06.06.2009 Head of the Interdisciplinary Lung Cancer Center at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- 22.09.2008 Appointment in the Examination Committee "Sleep Medicine", "Pulmonology", "Internal Medicine with a focus on Pulmonology" of the Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 10.30.2008 European Diploma in Respiratory Medicine for Adults awarded by the European Respiratory Society.
- 15.11.2008 Profile Expert of the Cancer Center, Certification Institute of the German Cancer Society.
- 01.07.2011 - 31.12.2012 Deputy Head of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- Bronchial carcinoma, pleural mesothelioma.
- Bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Interstitial lung diseases (pulmonary fibrosis, sarcoidosis, alveolitis).
- Obstructive sleep apnea, home mechanical ventilation.
- Pulmonary hypertension.
- Bronchoscopy, including with laser therapy, stent implantation, brachytherapy.
Memberships and Positions in Professional Societies and Organizations (selected)
- American Thoracic Society (ATS).
- Atemwegsliga Organization.
- German Society of Pulmonology (DGP).
- Board Member.
- President of Congress 2012.
- German Society for Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine (DGSM).
- Commission Member of the "Scientific Coordination".
- Head of the DRGs Commission (until 2006).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- Member of the Working Group on Pulmonary Oncology (POA).
- Profile Expert of the Cancer Center.
- European Respiratory Society (ERS).
- South German Society of Pulmonology (SDGP).
- Deputy Chairman.
- President of Congress 2010.
- Bavarian Expert Group on Tuberculosis.
- German-Turkish Medical Association Bavaria.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board.
- Comprehensive Cancer Center Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- Representative of the Project Team on Lung Cancer.
- German DPLD Network (GOLDnet).
- American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.
- European Respiratory Journal.
- International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Nürnberg
Department of Pulmonology, Allergology and Somnology.
Academic Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.