Academic Hospital Nuremberg
Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology (302931)
Specialized in: nephrology, hypertensiology
About the department
The Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg offers the comprehensive diagnostics and modern treatment for patients with kidney diseases, including such hereditary pathologies as polycystic kidney disease. The tasks of the medical team also include the provision of care for patients before and after kidney transplantation, performance of all classic and innovative types of renal replacement therapy. In addition, the department's specialists have extensive experience in the treatment of hypertension. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Roland Veelken.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of all kidney diseases, including systemic and hereditary pathologies
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial hypertension
- Patient care before and after kidney transplantation
- Intensive care in acute kidney failure and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome
- Renal replacement therapy
- Chronic hemodialysis
- Plasma separation and immunoadsorption for diseases caused by immunological problems
- Lipid apheresis in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis
- Continuous cyclic peritoneal dialysis
- Intermittent peritoneal dialysis
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Career
- 1978 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the Heidelberg University and Indiapolis University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA.
- 1982 - 1985 Doctoral thesis defense at the Institute of Pharmacology at the University of Heidelberg.
- 1985 - 1987 Research Fellow at the Institute of Pharmacology at the University of Heidelberg.
- 1987 - 1989 Educational Grant of the German Research Foundation, Heart Center, College of Medicine at University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA.
- 1989 Assistant Physician in the Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology at the University Hospital Erlangen and the Academic Hospital Nuremberg; Association of the Institute of Physiology I of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 1994 Habilitation in Physiology.
- 1997 Board certification in Internal Medicine, Senior Physician in the Department of Nephrology and Hypertension at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 1997 Habilitation in Internal Medicine.
- 2000 Board certification in Nephrology and Hypertensiology, certified European Specialist in Hypertensiology.
- 2001 Professorship in Internal Medicine.
- 2009 Deputy Head of the Department of Internal Medicine and Nephrology at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- 2017 Chief Physician of the Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology at the Academic Hospital Nuremberg.
- Kidney International.
- Journal of Hypertension.
- American Journal of Physiology.
- Expert activity within the scholarship programs of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Nephrology.
- German Hypertension League.
- German Physiological Society.
- American Physiological Society.
- Association of Leading Nephrologists.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum Nürnberg
Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology.
Academic Hospital Nuremberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.