Natural childbirth (program ID: 147645)
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Sven MahnerSpecialized in: obstetrics, adult and pediatric gynecology
Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology
For 2 weeks before birth:
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- pelvic ultrasound
- gynecological examination:
- transvaginal ultrasound
- scraping with subsequent analysis
- fetal examination:
- 4 D sonography
- determine fetal position before delivery
- nursing services
- observation by chief physician and all leading experts
- maintaining an obstetrician until birth
Day of birth
- gynecological examination
- fetal examination
- childbirth natural
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- maintaining an obstetrician after birth
- examination during the postnatal period (during the first three weeks)
- control gynecological examinations during the postnatal period
- the first pediatric examination of the newborn
- Medical records, obstetric history
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine rating, the Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranks among the top German clinics specializing in obstetrics and breast cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the female reproductive system, urinary system, hormonal disorders, problems with conceiving a child, and first-class obstetric services. In addition, the department provides comprehensive consultations, diagnostics and treatment of puberty disorders and problems of the gynecological spectrum in girls and young girls. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Sven Mahner.
Of particular interest to the department's doctors is the treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the female genital organs. Depending on the diagnosis and clinical indications, there is provides an individual conservative or surgical therapy. Surgical options include both microsurgical interventions and extensive surgeries, including reconstructive plastic surgery. Also, chemotherapy is required in most cases of malignant gynecological diseases (before or after surgical treatment). An important aspect of the treatment process is psychological support for patients.
In the field of obstetrics, the department offers comprehensive medical care for pregnant women before, during and after childbirth. The doctors have a vast, successful experience in the management of high-risk pregnancies. The department was awarded the title of the Level I Perinatal Center, which indicates the highest quality of obstetric services, the best possible safety for both mother and child. More than 2,400 babies are born in the department annually. All the delivery rooms are equipped with a special bed for childbirth, as well as aids such as balls, mats, wall bars, rope, etc. There is a special room for childbirth in the bath. Thus, the patient receives all the opportunities for childbirth in any comfortable position for her. Great importance is attached to pain relief. The most popular methods of pain relief include homeopathy, acupuncture, epidural anesthesia.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of gynecological diseases
- Uterine diseases (for example, uterine fibroids)
- Cerviсal diseases (for example, cervical dysplasia)
- Ovarian diseases (for example, cysts)
- Diseases of the fallopian tubes
- Inflammatory and infectious diseases of the female urogenital organs
- Hormonal disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant gynecological diseases
- Uterine cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Breast cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of urogynecological diseases
- Urinary incontinence
- Female genital prolapse
- Diagnostics and treatment of problems with conceiving a child (reproductive medicine)
- In vitro fertilization
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection
- Diagnostics and treatment of gynecological disorders in children
- Puberty disorders
- Menstrual irregularities
- Inflammatory and infectious diseases of the genitourinary system
- Consultations on all gynecological issues
- Obstetric services
- Prenatal diagnostics and therapy
- Management of high-risk pregnancies
- Obstetric surgeries
- Pain relief during childbirth (homeopathy, acupuncture, epidural anesthesia)
- Postpartum care of mother and baby
- Intensive care for premature infants and babies with congenital abnormalities
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases of the female reproductive system
- Since 09.2015 Head of the Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Grosshadern and Innenstadt Campuses.
- 2015 Acting Head of the Department and Polyclinic of Gynecology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2012 - 2015 Leading Senior Physician of the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2009 - 2012 Senior Physician of the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2008 Medical Specialist in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 2003 - 2008 Advanced training in Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2003 State examination and admission to medical practice, Heidelberg University.
- Medical education abroad: Harvard Medical School (Boston, USA), Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (New York, USA), University of Zurich (Switzerland), University of Manitoba (Winnipeg, Canada).
- Habilitation. Subject: "Prognostic factors associated with surgical treatment and biological properties of the tumor in ovarian cancer."
- Defense of doctoral thesis. Subject: "Expression and localization of proteins with multiple drug resistance 2 and 3 in the intestines (rat testing)", Department of Internal Medicine IV, Heidelberg University (Prof. Dr. med. V. Stremmel), note: excellent.
- 100 Publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- 200 Published national and international congress reports.
- 20 Articles in books.
Awards and Scholarships
- 2012 Staude-Pfannenstiel Award of the North-German Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- 2010 Niall O'Higgins Award of the European Society of Surgical Oncology.
- 2009 Georg Ernst Konjetzny Award of the Hamburg Cancer Society.
- 2009 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Merit Award.
- 2009 Translational Research Award, Association of Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2006 Award of the North-German Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- 2001 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service.
- 2001 Carl Duisberg Scholarship.
- 2001 Scholarship of the International Academy of Life Sciences.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
- Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology (AGO).
- Working Group on Cervical and Colposcopy Pathology (AG CPC).
- Bavarian Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology (BGGF).
- German Society for Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- European Society of Gynaecologic Oncology (ESGO).
- Obstetrics Society of the Hamburg Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology.
- International Academy of Life Sciences (IALS)
- International Gynecologic Cancer Society (IGCS)
- North-German Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (NGGG)
- Northeast German Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (NOGGO).
- Commission for Ovarian Diseases of the Gynecologic Oncologist Working Group (AGO-OVAR).
- Head of the Gynecologic Oncology Research Group (AGO-SLG).
- Acta Obstetrica et Gynecologica Scandinavica.
- Annals of Oncology.
- Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- BMC Cancer.
- Breast Cancer Research and Treatment.
- British Journal of Cancer.
- Cancer Management and Research.
- Cancer Research UK.
- Cancer Treatment Reviews.
- European Journal of Cancer.
- European Journal of Cancer Care.
- European Journal of Nuclear Medicine.
- Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology.
- European Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Charity.
- Gynecologic Oncology.
- International Journal of Gynecological Cancer.
- International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- OncoTargets and Therapy.
- The Lancet.
- The Lancet Oncology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum