Leg lengthening surgery with intramedullary lengthening nail FITBONE ® SAA (program ID: 150259)
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Volkmar JanssonSpecialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation
- indicators of blood coagulation
- X-ray examination
- preoperative care
- implantation of the intramedullary lengthening
nail FITBONE ® SAA
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- physiotherapeutic procedures
- orthopedic appliances
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
How program is carried out
During the first visit, the physician will conduct a clinical examination with measurements of all lengths and axes of the lower extremities, as well as go through the results of previous examinations. After that, you will undergo additional tests, including the assessment of liver and kidney function, comprehensive X-ray examination, high-resolution CT and MRI. Based on the results of additional tests, the physician will determine the optimal areas of the bone incision and the model of the intramedullary nail.
The Fitbone® intramedullary nail implantation is performed under general anesthesia. After dissecting soft tissues and coagulating the blood vessels, surgeons dissect the femur and / or tibia at predetermined locations. The individually manufactured Fitbone® nail is placed inside the bones.
During the operation, the special mesh with radiopaque coating is used, which ensures perfect alignment of the inserted nail along the axis of the femur and / or tibia. The total duration of the operation is up to 3 hours. After the completion of the intervention you will be transferred back to the ward, as you will not need to stay in the intensive care unit.
You will stay in the hospital for another 5-10 days. The very next day after the operation, you will start walking using crutches. You will also do special gymnastics under the supervision of the rehabilitologist and learn how to work with the external control unit of the Fitbone® nail. After the control X-ray examination, you together with your physician will perform the first distraction (leg lengthening) session. This usually occurs 5 days after the surgery. Before leaving the hospital, your physician will give you detailed recommendations on the duration and intensity of bone distraction at home, follow-up examinations and physical activity.
- Medical records
- X-ray examination (if available)
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranks among the best departments in Germany specializing in joint replacement surgery!
The department offers the full range of accurate diagnostics, effective conservative and surgical treatment of all diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The scope of tasks of the department’s medical team is to conduct physiotherapeutic and rehabilitation measures. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Volkmar Jansson.
It should be noted that since October 25, 2012 the department has been certified as the Maximum Care Center for Endoprosthetics (Endocert) by the German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery, which indicates the outstanding quality of services in this field.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Joint replacement surgery, including revision interventions
- Knee replacement surgery
- Hip replacement surgery
- Postoperative recovery with an effective Fast Track program
- Treatment of artificial joint infections
- Knee surgery
- Injuries and lesions of the meniscus
- Injuries and lesions of the cruciate ligaments
- Cartilage lesions
- Worn articular cartilage and degenerative changes in the knee in elderly patients
- Treatment of sports injuries, physiotherapeutic and rehabilitation measures
- Shoulder surgery
- Shoulder arthrosis
- Shoulder instability and dislocation
- Rotator cuff tear
- Frozen shoulder
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Hip arthroscopy
- Hip impingement syndrome
- Damages to the articular lip
- Loose articular bodies
- Inflammatory processes
- Cartilage lesions
- Treatment of orthopedic diseases in children
- Hip dysplasia
- Hip diseases and injuries in childhood and adolescence (for example, Perthes disease)
- Congenital clubfoot and foot deformities
- Neuro-orthopedic diseases
- Leg length discrepancy and axial deformations
- Benign and malignant bone and soft tissue tumors
- Aseptic necrosis
- Joint and bone infections
- Treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the musculoskeletal system
- Spinal surgery
- Radicular pain and inflammation of the spinal roots
- Axial pain in degenerative changes
- Erosive osteochondrosis
- Spinal stenosis
- Hand surgery
- Rheumatic diseases
- Wrist arthrosis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Trigger injuries
- Hand injuries
- Foot surgery
- Pathological changes and malformations of the ankle joint
- Flat feet
- Hollow foot
- Transverse flatfoot
- Hallux valgus
- Hallux rigidus
- Hammer-shaped and hooked toes
- Osteoporosis treatment
- Other medical services
- 1979 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1986 Doctoral Degree, Laboratory of Experimental Nephrology (Prof. K.M. Koch and Prof. H. Stolte), Hannover Medical School. Subject: "On the influence of small molecular weight substances on the filtration in the glomerulus and in artificial membrane systems – a simulation model".
- 1986 Assistant (Internal Medicine) at the Hannover Medical School (Prof. K.M. Koch).
- 1986 - 1987 Assistant (Surgery) at the Henrietten Foundation Hospital Hannover (Prof. C. Käufer).
- 1987 - 1993 Assistant Physician in the Department of Orthopedics, Campus Grosshadern of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1994 Habilitation, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Department of Orthopedics, Campus Grosshadern, Munich (Prof. H.J. Refior). Subject: "The cement canal prosthesis – development and optimization of a new type of hip endoprosthesis shaft for implantation in secondary cementing technique".
- 1993 - 2001 Senior Physician of the Department of Orthopedics, Campus Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Prof. H.J. Refior).
- 2000 Appointed as a Visiting Professor.
- 2001 – 2003 Full Professor of the Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Rostock.
- Since 2003, Full Professor of the Department of Orthopedics, Campus Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Since 2013, Full Professor of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Campus Grosshadern.
- Since 2015, Speaker of the Joint Convention of the Chairs of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- Since 2015, Scientific Director of the German Endoprosthesis Register (EPRD).
- Board Member of the German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery (DGOOC).
- European Orthopaedic Research Society (EORS).
- Section for Fundamental Research of the DGOOC.
- Working Group on Endoprosthetics.
- Award for Best Scientific Paper on the Forum for Biomechanics of the German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery (DGOT).
- Poster Award: "New resorbable bioimplants (cartilage patch) for cartilage defect repair", European Orthopaedic Research Society (EORS).
- Laureate of the Innovation Competition of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (with Dr. E. P. Müller).
- Poster Award, German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Leg lengthening surgery with intramedullary lengthening nail FITBONE ® SAA
- Hospital: University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- access_time Duration:
There are 5 short legs (limbs) treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics