Academic Teaching Hospital Luisenhospital of the Aachen University
Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery (23)
Specialized in: general, abdominal and thoracic surgery
About the department
The Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery at the Academic Teaching Hospital Luisenhospital of the Aachen University in Aachen under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Reinhard Kasperk offers surgical treatment of all clinical pictures of the abdominal cavity, thorax and thyroid gland. If possible, surgical procedures are minimally invasive. The department specializes in the treatment of hernias, thyroid surgery and proctology. These medical focuses have been successfully certified by the German Cancer Society and other professional surgical societies.
One of the key focuses of the department is the treatment of thyroid and parathyroid glands. For many years now, the department has been the only hospital in the region certified with a special quality mark “Centre of Competence for Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery” by the German Society for General and Visceral Surgery. This quality mark can be awarded only to those departments that offer surgery at the highest level confirmed by external quality certificates. A high level of surgical care can be confirmed not only by a large number of operated patients, but also by a low number of complications.
Another focus is placed on stomach diseases. Today, gastric ulcer is mostly treated with drugs. If this treatment is ineffective, the surgeon can remove a part, rarely the whole stomach. Similarly, most of the stomach bleedings can now be treated non-surgically (i.e. endoscopically) so that only severe cases require surgery. In case of benign and malignant stomach tumors the situation is different. These always require surgical intervention and for benign tumors it is often performed laparoscopically.
In malignant diseases, surgery is often preceded by chemotherapy, since it increases the chances of recovery. Even if the patient needs the stomach to be removed completely, the quality of life remains very good and causes virtually no restrictions (after a certain period of habituation).
In addition, the department has a special competence in the treatment of lung cancer. The department is part of the interregional Cancer Center. The center has state-of-the-art infrastructure: Pulmonary Function Laboratory, Sleep Laboratory, endoscopy with bronchoscopy, mediastinoscopy and video-assisted thoracoscopy.
The Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery pays considerable attention to minimally invasive procedures performed with the use of a video camera and special endoscopic instruments. Another important focus is the treatment of malignant tumors in the lungs and thoracic cavity, whereby there are used modern (neoadjuvant) interdisciplinary treatment programs, including pretreatment to shrink the tumor and prepare the patient for the subsequent surgery.
The main focuses of the department include:
- Thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Gallbladder and biliary tract
- Small / large intestine
- Hernias / inguinal hernias
- Adrenal glands
- Changes in fat and muscle tissues
- Thoracic surgery
- and other diseases
- 1982 - 1983 Basic military service as a doctor.
- 1983 Doctor’s Degree (Prof. Dr. J. Wawersik, Kiel).
- 1983 - 1987 University Hospital Düsseldorf, Department of Surgery (Prof. Dr. Kremer, Prof. Dr. Bircks, Prof. Dr. Röher, Prof. Dr. Sandmann).
- 1988 University Hospital Aachen, Department of Surgery (Prof. Dr. Schumpelick).
- 1990 Surgeon.
- 1995 Habilitation and the right to teach (PD). Chief physician of the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Aachen, additional specialization in sports medicine.
- 1998 Chief Physician.
- 1999 Specialization "Visceral Surgery".
- 2000 Unscheduled Professorship, Deputy Director of the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Aachen.
- 2002 Chief Physician of the Department of Surgery, St. Johannes Clinic (Duisburg).
- 2003 Chief Physician of the Department of Surgery, St. Barbara Clinic, Duisburg.
- 2007 Leading Doctor of the Center for Coloproctological Surgery of the Catholic Clinic Duisburg.
- Since 2010, the Chief Physician of the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Aachen.
Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery.
Academic Teaching Hospital Luisenhospital of the Aachen University:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home