MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Bad Berka
Department for Diabetic Patient Rehabilitation (25915)
Specialized in: diabetic patient rehabilitation
About the Department for Diabetic Patient Rehabilitation at MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Bad Berka
The Department for Diabetic Patient Rehabilitation at the MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Bad Berka offers the full range of highly effective therapeutic methods to improve physical health, psycho-emotional state and the quality of life of patients suffering from diabetes mellitus. The department's medical team admits patients with all types of diabetes mellitus, including type 1, 2, 3 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes mellitus, secondary diabetes, etc. The department’s specialists use a comprehensive approach in their clinical practice, which contributes not only to the improvement of condition of the patient with diabetes mellitus and his return to a full life, but also to the normalization of the patient's health in the long term. Diabetes mellitus is an incurable disease, and therefore one of the important components of every rehabilitation program is teaching the patient the regular life with this pathology in order to prevent its progression. When admitted to the department, the doctors accurately study the patient's medical history, carry out the necessary diagnostic tests and individually develop a rehabilitation program aimed at improving the patient's health and prevent the development of irreversible complications of diabetes mellitus, which can pose a threat to human life. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Rainer Lundershausen.
Rehabilitation measures are a necessary stage in the effective comprehensive treatment of diabetes mellitus. The department's highly competent diabetologists and rehabilitation specialists carefully elaborate each stage of rehabilitation for the patient to improve his physical and psycho-emotional condition. The key to successful treatment and long life of the patients with diabetes mellitus is quitting bad habits. The department's specialists develop healthy lifestyle habits in patients. Depending on the patient's state of health and particular clinical indicators, they elaborate a proper diet, which excludes foods that can lead to increased blood sugar levels. Dosed physical activity also plays an important role. In addition, the doctors provide drug treatment using highly effective drugs of the latest generation. All rehabilitation activities are carried out under the close supervision of doctors with long experience and a high level of professional training.
The department's doctors carry out the rehabilitation procedures in well-equipped treatment rooms adapted to the needs of patients. The specialists devote a sufficient amount of time to counseling patients, communicating with them in order to establish a trusting relationship and make the stay in the clinic as comfortable as possible. The drug treatment involves the use of only those medicines that meet the highest requirements of national and international professional societies specializing in diabetes mellitus treatment. Thus, each patient of the department can count on the high-quality rehabilitation and optimal results.
The department specializes in the rehabilitation of patients with the following types of diabetes mellitus and its complications:
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Type 3 diabetes mellitus
- Gestational diabetes mellitus (diabetes mellitus in pregnant women)
- Secondary types of diabetes mellitus
- Diabetes mellitus accompanied by eating disorders
- Consequences of diabetes mellitus and comorbidities, including diabetic foot syndrome
- Diabetes mellitus accompanied by morbid obesity
- Diabetes mellitus accompanied by hyperlipoproteinemia
- Other types of diabetes mellitus and its complications
The department's range of therapeutic and rehabilitation services includes:
- Treatment and training of patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus using classical and intensive drug treatment regimens, as well as insulin pump therapy and differential drugs
- Healthy nutrition training, including practical classes in the training kitchen
- Specialized psychological care by the psychologists specializing in the treatment of diabetic patients
- Special training on the awareness of hypoglycemia, cardiovascular comorbidities, etc.
- Comprehensive physiotherapy and differential treatment of chronic pain
- Treatment of carbohydrate and lipid metabolic disorders, high blood pressure normalization
- Cardiopulmonary function improvement
- Restoration of work capacity and improvement of the quality of life
- Lifestyle modification, taking into account individual possible risks
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of PD Dr. med. Rainer Lundershausen
Higher Education and Professional Career
- Study of Medicine at the Leipzig University and the Medical Academy Erfurt.
- Graduate thesis defense in medicine. Subject: "Bretylium tosylate – electrocardiographic, mechanocardiographic and hemodynamic studies".
- Doctoral thesis defense in medicine. Subject: "Examination of metabolism in adult diabetic patients with the manifestation of the disease and after the beginning of therapy".
- Habilitation. Subject: "Prognosis of the influence of type 2 diabetes mellitus on metabolism and vascular system – the results of a 10-year prospective study in the city and region of Erfurt".
- Specialized medical training for board certification, Department of Internal Medicine at the Medical Academy Erfurt.
- 1986 - 1992 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, hospital at the University of Erfurt.
- 1990 Appointed as University Lecturer by the Thuringian Ministry of Education, Science and Culture.
- 1992 General Practitioner specializing in diabetology and infectious diseases.
- Since 2005 Chief Physician in the Department for Diabetic Patient Rehabilitation at the MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Bad Berka.
- Since 2005 Diabetologist and infectionist at the Diabetes Center Erfurt.
- Since 01.01.2015 Establishment of a joint medical practice specializing in internal medicine in cooperation with Dr. med. Sven Becker.
- Specialist in Internal Medicine, Diabetology, Infectology and Tropical Medicine.
- Additional Qualification in Drug Addiction.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Representative of the regional branches of the German Diabetes Association.
- Deputy Chairman of the Board of the Thuringia Society for Diabetes and Metabolic Disorders.
- Chairman of the Board of the Professional Association of Diabetologists of Thuringia.
Photo of the doctor: (c) MEDIAN Reha-Zentrum Bad Berka Ilmtal-Klinik
Department for Diabetic Patient Rehabilitation.
MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Bad Berka:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.