Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Cardiology (616903)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric diagnostic, interventional cardiology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Cardiology at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul offers all the possibilities of modern medicine for the diagnostics and treatment of cardiac pathologies of varying severity. The department specializes in the treatment of patients of all age groups – from infants to the elderly. In addition, the department includes the specialized center for the treatment of defects of the fetal cardiovascular system in the womb. To provide medical care to patients with acute coronary syndrome, the department has a Chest Pain Unit, which operates around the clock. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Barıs Okcun.
The department's medical team cooperates closely with cardiac surgeons, thanks to which the patients benefit from comprehensive treatment of all cardiovascular diseases. The department's cardiologists are distinguished by their exceptional professionalism and rich clinical experience, which, in combination with modern technical infrastructure, forms a solid base for the provision of top-class medical services. The specialists regularly participate in national and international congresses, undergo advanced training courses, which allow them to keep pace with innovations in their field of activity.
One of the most progressive treatment methods, which is successfully practiced in the department, is enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP). The procedure is a non-surgical method for the treatment of coronary artery disease and heart failure. Prior to the development of this technology, coronary artery disease was treated with bypass surgery and angioplasty. The main advantage of the EECP technique is the absence of interventional manipulations and side reactions. The therapeutic effect is achieved by compressing the lower leg, thighs and buttocks with special cuffs, which are gradually inflated with air at high pressure, thereby creating a wave of blood pressure in the arteries. Thus, the pressure in the aortic orifice is elevated and the blood flow through the coronary vessels is improved, which in turn helps to relieve pain in the sternum and improve the work of the heart muscle. In addition, the use of enhanced external counterpulsation increases the resistance of a person with cardiac problems to physical activity. It is worth noting that the EECP method was approved by the FDA in 1995 and today it is a medical innovation, which is not available in every hospital.
The therapeutic offer is complemented by other modern techniques, which have proven themselves worldwide. For example, cardiac pacemakers and catheter ablation are used for the treatment of arrhythmias, aortic valve stenosis is treated with advanced TAVI technique, while mitral valve stenosis is treated with a balloon mitral valvuloplasty, etc.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostic procedures, including interventional ones
- Echocardiography (ultrasound heart scanning)
- Treadmill exercise stress echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Holter monitoring
- Tilt table test
- Cardiac catheterization
- Coronary angiography
- Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy (in collaboration with the Department of Nuclear Medicine)
- CT angiography (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Cardiac MRI (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Interventional therapeutic procedures
- Placement of pacemakers and defibrillators for arrhythmia treatment
- Catheter ablation for arrhythmia treatment
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) for aortic valve stenosis treatment
- Balloon mitral valvuloplasty for mitral valve stenosis treatment
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) for the treatment of coronary artery stenosis caused by atherosclerosis
- Enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP) for the treatment of coronary artery disease and heart failure
- MitraClip for the treatment of mitral valve regurgitation in contraindications for open surgery
- Transcatheter balloon valvuloplasty for pulmonary valve stenosis
- Interventional procedures for correction of atrial septal defect, ventricular septal defect and patent foramen ovale
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Cardiology at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul.
- Since 2012 Professor of Cardiology, Heart Institute at the Istanbul University.
- 2005 - 2011 Assistant Professor of Cardiology, Heart Institute at the Istanbul University.
- 1999 - 2005 Cardiologist, Heart Institute at the Istanbul University.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1992 - 1998 Specialized training in Cardiology, Heart Institute at the Istanbul University.
- 1986 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the Ankara University.
- 92 scientific publications in national and international journals.
- 104 reports at the national congresses.
Participation in Professional Trainings, Courses and Conferences
- Attended over 100 national and international congresses.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Society of Cardiology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Cardiology.
Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.