ERCP for obstruction of bile duct obstruction with endoscopic bougienage and stent implantation (program ID: 622220)
Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
Erdem AkbalSpecialized in: adult and pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- TSH-basal, fT3, fT4
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- abdominal ultrasound
- CT/MRI abdomen
- ERCP with endoscopic bougienage and stent implantation
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- nutrition recommendations
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology at the Memorial Bahсelievler Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of high-precision diagnostics and effective treatment of gastrointestinal diseases. The department's specialists admit patients of all age groups, including children. Endoscopic procedures are widely used in clinical practice for detection of the slightest pathological changes in the gastrointestinal tract, as well as for their treatment. An individual therapy regimen is developed for each patient, taking into account all specificities of the disease and state of health, as well as age. The tremendous experience of the department's doctors allows them to successfully cure even the most complex and rare gastroenterological pathologies. The department's medical services meet the highest standards of modern medicine. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Erdem Akbal.
The doctors of the medical facility are convinced that the accurate diagnostics is the key to successful treatment. After the clinical examination and study of the medical history, the patient undergoes the necessary instrumental and laboratory tests. The department's diagnostic options include gastroscopy to assess the condition of the mucous membrane of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum, colonoscopy and rectosigmoidoscopy to assess the condition of the colon, esophagogastroduodenoscopy, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography to examine the biliary tract and pancreas. In addition, the department performs percutaneous liver biopsy.
One of the key activities of the department is the diagnostics and treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease – chronic recurrent disease characterized by regular reflux of stomach and duodenal contents into the esophagus. In the absence of timely treatment, the pathology can cause serious complications, such as esophageal stricture, haemorrhage and precancerous conditions (Barrett's esophagus). Thus, the aim of treatment is not only to relieve symptoms and eliminate inflammatory processes in the esophagus, but also to prevent life-threatening complications. To confirm the diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux disease, the department's specialists carry out radiography of the esophagus and duodenum with barium sulfate solution, esophagogastroduodenoscopy, esophageal manometry and daily esophageal pH-metry. For patients with mild pathology, it is enough to modify their lifestyle (cessation of smoking, carbonated and acidic beverages, as well as exclusion from the diet of foods that increase acidity – alcohol, chocolate, caffeine, coffee, tea, fatty and spicy products, etc.), as well as drug therapy, the scheme of which is adapted to the clinical case of each patient.
In addition, the department's gastroenterologists are especially focused on the treatment of benign and malignant gastrointestinal neoplasms (in cooperation with general surgeons and other specialized doctors), gastritis, gastric ulcers, stomach and bowel polyps, esophageal strictures, gastrointestinal bleeding, removal of foreign bodies from the esophagus, stomach and rectum, treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases, etc.
Digestive diseases in children are diagnosed and treated by specially trained doctors. When developing a treatment plan, the age of the child and the features of the growing organism are necessarily taken into account. The focus is on conservative therapy and lifestyle modification. A competent combination of innovative medicines allows the department's doctors to achieve excellent therapeutic results.
The focus of hepatology specialists is on the treatment of hepatitis, including viral hepatitis A, B, D, E, cirrhosis, alcoholic liver disease, liver cancer, etc. The doctors use effective state-of-the-art drugs to treat hepatological diseases. If surgical intervention is necessary, the doctors from the Department of General Surgery are involved in the therapeutic process.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostic procedures
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
- Percutaneous liver biopsy
- Ultrasound examinations
- Laboratory tests
- Therapeutic procedures
- Esophageal variceal ligation
- Endoscopic foreign body removal
- Arrest of gastrointestinal haemorrhages using special clips, drug injections, thermal and laser coagulation
- Endoscopic removal of gastrointestinal neoplasms
- Endoscopic dilatation of atresias and stenoses
- Endoscopic polypectomy
- Feeding tube placement
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Since 2019 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology at the Memorial Bahсelievler Hospital Istanbul.
- 2016 - 2019 Gastroenterologist, Department of Gastroenterology, Florence Nightingale Hospital.
- 2012 - 2015 Gastroenterologist, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital at the Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University.
- 2008 - 2009 General Practitioner, Department of Gastroenterology at the Amasya Suluova Devlet Hastanesi.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2019 Professorship in Gastroenterology.
- 2014 Assistant Professorship in Gastroenterology.
- 2009 - 2012 Specialized training in Gastroenterology, Ankara Egitim ve Arastirma Hastanesi.
- 2003 - 2008 Residency in Internal Medicine, Dışkapı Yıldırım Beyazıt Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi.
- 1996 - 2002 Study of Human Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the Ankara University.
- More than 100 articles in international journals.
- Numerous posters and oral presentations at the national and international congresses.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Society of Gastroenterology.
- Turkish Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
- Turkish Association for the Study of the Liver.
- Turkish Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Surgery Association.
- Turkish Medical Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
ERCP for obstruction of bile duct obstruction with endoscopic bougienage and stent implantation
- Hospital: Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
- access_time Duration:
There are 93 bile duct obstruction treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics