Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology (603931)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the eye and its appendages. The department deals with the treatment of patients of various age groups – from infants to the elderly. The key attention in clinical practice is paid to refractive eye surgery, surgical treatment of cataracts, glaucoma, treatment of corneal and retinal diseases, neuro-ophthalmic diseases, correction of strabismus, as well as plastic surgery outside the eyeball (oculoplasty). The department has advanced medical equipment for high-precision diagnostics of eye pathologies and effective treatment of any degree of complexity. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Abdullah Ozkaya.
Before prescribing any type of treatment, an ophthalmologist needs to assess the health status of the eye and its appendages, as well as test the visual acuity. The department has state-of-the-art diagnostic systems for autorefractoceratometry, tonometry for intraocular pressure measurement (as well as applanation one), direct and indirect ophthalmoscopy, biomicroscopy and other tests. All examination results are stored in a special computer database, which provides doctors with an easy and quick access to them.
The specialists begin treatment with the use of conservative techniques, but in some cases, the only way to restore or maintain vision is surgical treatment. The surgical interventions are performed by experienced ophthalmic surgeons who have a perfect command of both classic and innovative techniques. For example, in almost all patients with cataracts, surgery is performed with eye drop anesthesia using seamless phacoemulsification. The department's doctors also successfully perform vitreoretinal interventions, including pars plana vitrectomy for vision correction due to diabetes mellitus, internal limiting membrane peeling and macular translocation for age-related macular degeneration.
The department's competence also includes corneal transplantation (keratoplasty) – when performing the operation, the doctors use graft from the Eye Bank. Corneal transplantation is prescribed for patients with pathological lesions of this organ. It serves for the restoration of vision, pain management and improvement of appearance of the affected cornea. In most cases, surgery is performed for patients with such pathologies as corneal ulcers (including those of the infectious genesis), corneal scarring caused by infections or injuries, Fuchs' dystrophy, keratoconus, clouding and corneal edema.
Particular attention is also paid to the diagnostics and treatment of ophthalmic diseases in children. A team of pediatric ophthalmologists provides the diagnostics at the age of 1-2 months after birth in order to exclude or confirm such ophthalmic pathologies as congenital cataract, glaucoma or tear duct obstruction. The diagnostics of strabismus is also carried out in children under one year. Depending on the diagnosis, the optimal treatment regimen is selected for the child, which is aimed at improving or preserving vision.
It is worth noting that the department's specialists also have excellent qualifications in the diagnostics and treatment of retinopathy of prematurity. It often develops at a weight of 1500 g, in children who were born before the 32nd week of pregnancy.
The department's clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cataract
- Diagnostics and treatment of glaucoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of retinal diseases (for example, retinal detachment, retinal dystrophy, diabetic retinopathy, retinal tear)
- Diagnostics and treatment of corneal diseases, including corneal transplantation (for example, keratoconus, degenerative and dystrophic lesions)
- Diagnostics and treatment of vitreous diseases (for example, congenital malformations, inflammatory processes, vitreous hemorrhages)
- Diagnostics and treatment of lacrimal duct diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuro-ophthalmic diseases (for example, optic neuritis, abnormal eye movements)
- Diagnostics and treatment of refractive errors
- Diagnostics and treatment of strabismus
- Diagnostics and treatment of eyelid diseases (for example, blepharitis, chalazion, benign and malignant tumors)
- Diagnostics and treatment of eye injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric eye diseases (congenital cataract, congenital glaucoma, strabismus, retinopathy of prematurity)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other eye diseases
- Since 2019 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Since 2018 Assistant Professor at the Istanbul Aydın University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2018 - 2019 Ophthalmologist, Department of Ophthalmology, Surp Pirgic Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2015 - 2018 Assistant Professor, Beyoglu Eye Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2013 - 2015 Deputy Head, Beyoglu Eye Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2010 - 2012 Ophthalmologist, Beyoglu Eye Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2009 - 2010 Ophthalmologist, Department of Ophthalmology, Bakirkoy Dr. Sadi Konuk Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2008 - 2009 Ophthalmologist, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2002 - 2007 Highly specialized training in Ophthalmology, Tepecik Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey.
- 1996 - 2002 Study of Human Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of the Aegean, Izmir, Turkey.
- 83 articles in international scientific journals.
- 29 reports in international scientific conferences and published as scientific articles.
- 46 articles in Turkish scientific journals.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Ophthalmological Association (TOD).
- Turkic Turkish Republics Ophthalmology Society (TROS).
- European VitreoRetinal Society (EVRS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Şişli Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.