Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in chronic myelogenous leukemia (program ID: 625507)
Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
Sebnem Izmir GunerSpecialized in: hematology, bone marrow transplantation
Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- case history collection
- general clinical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- TSH-basal, fT3, fT4
- differential blood count
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- CT/MRI scanners of the complete organism
- needle biopsy of the bone marrow
- biopsy and histological examination of CSF
- examination by experts of:
- registration in the European marrow donor base
- conducting high-dose chemotherapy
- allogeneic bone marrow transplantation from
- the cost of blood products
- isolation by neutropenic precautions
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of medical services for patients with benign and malignant diseases of the blood and hematopoietic system. In addition, the department is the leading highly specialized Turkish medical facility in the field of bone marrow transplantation. This procedure is indicated for patients with leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and aplastic anemia. The Section for Bone Marrow Transplantation meets all the current standards of modern medicine, as well as the criteria of the European JACIE organization, which accredits hospitals specializing in this procedure. The patients with blood malignancies receive the most effective chemotherapy regimens, which allow the doctors to achieve brilliant therapeutic results even in especially complex clinical cases. The department's doctors also successfully perform apheresis procedures. The department is headed by Assoc. Prof. Dr. med. Sebnem Izmir Guner.
The highly professional medical team with excellent training in the area of their specialization and exceptional clinical experience takes care of the health of patients with diseases of the hematopoietic system. The department's hematologists use in their daily practice progressive technological base and effective latest generation medicines for the accurate diagnostics and successful treatment of diseases of their profile. The comprehensive approach to the treatment of each problem in hematology or hematologic oncology also plays an important role in achieving a successful therapeutic result.
The priorities of the department's work include the treatment of lymphomas (Hodgkin's lymphomas and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas), multiple myeloma, acute and chronic leukemia. The optimal treatment methods for these pathologies are chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation. Antibody therapy, targeted therapy and radiation therapy can also be carried out. When prescribing chemotherapy, the doctors aim to destroy malignant cells in the human body by means of the latest cytotoxic drugs. Bone marrow transplantation serves for normalization of the production of blood cells and, accordingly, restoration of the normal hematopoiesis.
The department specializes in both autologous bone marrow transplantation, which involves the extraction of stem cells from the patient's own bone marrow and their repeated transfer after the necessary processing, as well as allogeneic transplantation, which involves the use of donor material (obtained from related and unrelated donors). The department's doctors actively use advanced treatment methods in their work, and bone marrow transplantation is no exception. This procedure is performed without any surgical manipulations. The donor material is obtained using apheresis, while the transplantation itself is carried out through the vascular access. Bone marrow cells have special biological properties, thanks to which they independently enter the bone marrow and begin to produce blood there. The main task of the doctor is to monitor the patient at the stage of activation of the transplanted bone marrow cells. During this period, the patient is at risk of developing infectious processes, anemia and haemorrhage. The primary purpose of the specialist is to prevent bone marrow rejection. A good technical infrastructure and strict hygiene standards are decisive factors in the success of the procedure. The department's specialists have all the necessary resources for high-quality bone marrow transplantation and regularly demonstrate high treatment success rates, which the leading clinics in developed countries can envy.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignancies of the hematopoietic system
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas
- Multiple myeloma
- Acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL)
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)
- Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML)
- Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS)
- Myeloproliferative disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign hematopoietic diseases
- Acquired and hereditary anemias
- Von Willebrand disease
- Blood-clotting disorders (coagulopathies)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other hematological pathologies
- Since 2019 Head of the Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2016 - 2018 Founder and Chief Physician, Department of Hematology with Bone Marrow Transplantation Center and Apheresis Center, Şişli Kolan International Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2010 - 2016 Founder and Chief Physician, Department of Hematology with Bone Marrow Transplant Center and Apheresis Center, Medical Park Bahcelievler Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2006 - 2010 Founder and Chief Physician, Department of Hematology, Istanbul Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2000 - 2003 Specialist in Internal Medicine, Istanbul Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 2006 - 2009 Master in Management, Institute of Health Sciences, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2003 - 2006 Specialized training in Hematology, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1995 - 2000 Training in Internal Medicine, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1987 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Awards and Honors
- February 2016 Incentive Poster Award, Hematologic Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation Symposium.
- September 2014 Incentive Poster Award, 9th National Apheresis Congress.
- September 2006 Industry Award of the Turkish Society of Hematology (Roche Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Award), 32nd National Congress of Hematology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Society of Hematology.
- Turkish Society of Apheresis.
- Turkish Society of Gastroenterology.
- Turkish Association for the Study of the Liver.
- Turkish Association of Internists.
- Turkish Medical Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Şişli Hospital
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in chronic myelogenous leukemia
- Hospital: Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
- access_time Duration:
There are 32 chronic myelogenous leukemia treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics