Meoclinic Hospital Berlin
Department of Rheumatology (696206)
Specialized in: rheumatology
About the Department of Rheumatology at Meoclinic Hospital Berlin
The Department of Rheumatology at the Meoclinic Hospital Berlin offers the full range of medical services in the area of its specialization. The department's rheumatologists admit patients with rheumatic lesions of the musculoskeletal structures: joints, bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, nerve endings and blood vessels. The department has an excellent technical base, including a laboratory for performing tests, diagnostic rooms with advanced systems for arthrosonography and magnetic resonance imaging. To fight against rheumatic diseases, the specialists of the medical facility use the very latest drugs, as well as innovative types of immunotherapy, which allow curing the pathology, slowing down its progression, alleviating pain and providing the patient with a decent quality of life. An important part of the therapy is therapeutic exercises and physiotherapy procedures (thermotherapy, cryotherapy, electrotherapy, ultrasound therapy, massage). The department's doctors are convinced that an effective result can be achieved only through the development of an individual treatment regimen, taking into account the particular clinical case of the patient, his needs and wishes. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Berliner.
The department's specialists admit patients with all types of rheumatic diseases: inflammatory, non-inflammatory and rheumatic pathologies caused by metabolic disorders. In addition, doctors have rich experience in the treatment of osteoporosis. When a patient comes to the department, the primary task of the doctors of the medical facility is a comprehensive examination, which allows them to make an accurate diagnosis. The attending physician studies the patient's medical history, carries out a general clinical examination and asks the patient in detail about his complaints. The next step involves laboratory tests, X-ray scanning, joint ultrasound scanning and magnetic resonance imaging. The doctor prescribes a particular set of diagnostic procedures based on the results of the examination and questioning. Since rheumatic diseases often affect the internal organs, the patient may be indicated for consultations with doctors of related specialties.
The treatment regimen is developed taking into account the causes of the development of rheumatic pathology and its type. For example, in case of inflammatory rheumatic diseases, doctors primarily prescribe oral and injectable anti-inflammatory drugs. The therapeutic protocol also necessarily includes painkillers. As a basic therapy, the patients with rheumatic pathologies often receive biological drugs. Therapeutic exercises are an integral part of treatment as well. To relieve pain, rheumatologists recommend physiotherapy procedures, including thermotherapy, cryotherapy, ultrasound therapy, electrotherapy, and massage. Swimming, Nordic walking, water aerobics and Pilates also have a beneficial effect on the well-being of patients suffering from rheumatic diseases. In addition, the patients need to reconsider their diet – eat less meat and sausages, increase the amount of vegetables, fruits and fish.
The department's specialists also offer patients with inflammatory rheumatic diseases the very latest types of immunotherapy, which is well tolerated, does not cause side effects and provides excellent therapeutic results. Immunomodulators are prescribed in the form of pills or injections. Immunotherapy makes it possible to prevent the progression of rheumatism and improve the patient's quality of life.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, including rare forms
- Diagnostics and treatment of classical and mixed collagenosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Diagnostics and treatment of CREST syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of dermatomyositis
- Diagnostics and treatment of progressive systemic scleroderma
- Diagnostics and treatment of Sjogren's syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of antiphospholipid syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of ankylosing spondylitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of spondyloarthropathies
- Diagnostics and treatment of Reiter's syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of reactive arthritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute rheumatic fever
- Diagnostics and treatment of crystalline arthropathies
- Diagnostics and treatment of arthropathy caused by internal diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of fibromyalgia
- Diagnostics and treatment of other rheumatic pathologies
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Michael Berliner
University Education and Professional Career
- 1973 - 1979 Study of Human Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1979 Admission to medical practice.
- 1980 Thesis defense, Justus Liebig University Giessen. Subject: "Isozyme in hairy cell leukemia".
- 1979 - 1984 Research Fellow in the Department of Rheumatology and Physiotherapy, University Hospital Giessen.
- 1984 - 1987 Advanced training in Internal Medicine, Municipal Hospital Bad Nauheim.
- 1987 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1987 - 1999 Senior Physician, Department of Rheumatology and Physiotherapy, University Hospital Giessen.
- 1988 Board certification in Rheumatology.
- 1988 Advanced training in Naturopathy.
- 1994 Board certification in Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Medicine.
- 1996 Habilitation, Justus Liebig University Giessen. Subject: "Influence of physiotherapy on skin microcirculation. Laser Doppler flowmetry with a special focus on rheumatic diseases".
- 1998 Deputy Head of the Department of Internal Medicine III and Head of the Section of Rheumatology at the University Hospital Giessen.
- 1999 - 2005 Extraordinary Professorship, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 2004 Head Physician of the Department of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Medicine, Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch (Academic Hospital of the Charite University Hospital Berlin).
- Since 2005 Head of the Department of Rheumatology at the Meoclinic Hospital Berlin.
Special Clinical Interests
- Methods of comprehensive immunotherapy for inflammatory rheumatic diseases (rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis and others).
- Immunotherapy for the treatment of collagenosis (systemic lupus erythematosus, vasculitis).
- Comprehensive drug therapy for the treatment of osteoporosis.
- Multimodal concepts for the treatment of fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndromes, including physiotherapy and psychotherapy.
- Rehabilitation concepts and classical naturopathy methods for the treatment of rheumatic diseases.
- Arthrosonography (joint ultrasound scanning).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Meoclinic
Department of Rheumatology.
Meoclinic Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.