University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology (114017)
Specialized in: nephrology, rheumatology
About the Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology at University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
The Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services to patients suffering from kidney and rheumatic diseases. The competence of doctors of the medical facility also includes the provision of medical care to patients after kidney transplantation. In addition, the department's specialists have successful experience in the treatment of rare and especially severe kidney diseases. The department is a recognized Research Center of the European Renal Association-European Dialysis and Transplant Association (ERA/EDTA), as well as a certified center of the German Society of Nephrology, which testifies to the outstanding treatment results and excellent medical care. Many patients receive medical care on an outpatient basis, and 24 beds are available here for patient hospitalization. The department enjoys a reputation as the largest and the best medical facility of this kind in Germany. The Head Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Uwe Heemann.
The department's nephrologists have vast experience in the treatment of various kidney diseases, including glomerulonephritis, pathological kidney lesions caused by arterial hypertension, inflammatory kidney diseases, systemic autoimmune diseases with kidney lesions, and genetic kidney diseases. To determine the optimal treatment tactics, the patient needs a comprehensive examination – the department has a wide arsenal of diagnostic options to assess the condition and function of the kidneys. Depending on the particular diagnosis, the department's doctors consider the possible treatment methods. The first-line treatment is pharmacotherapy with modern drugs. In case of ineffectiveness of such therapy, renal replacement therapy (dialysis) is recommended to the patient.
An integral part of the department's clinical practice is the diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic pathologies. The competent doctors of the medical facility provide effective therapy to patients suffering from joint and spinal inflammatory diseases (rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, spondyloarthritis, gout), systemic lupus erythematosus, Sjogren's syndrome, inflammatory myopathies, vasculitides (giant cell arteritis, Takayasu's arteritis, ANCA-associated vasculitis), IgG4-related disease, rare inflammatory diseases (Behcet's disease, relapsing polychondritis). The examination involves various laboratory tests, ultrasound and X-ray scanning, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, etc. Once an accurate diagnosis is made, the necessary course of treatment is prescribed, which is often limited to the intake of effective drugs.
The department's range of diagnostic and therapeutic services includes:
- Diagnostics for suspected kidney diseases
- Ultrasound scanning of the abdominal organs
- High-frequency sonography of the abdominal organs
- Doppler ultrasound scanning of the abdominal organs and vessels
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound scanning of the abdominal organs
- Thyroid sonography
- Lymph node sonography
- Doppler ultrasonography and compression sonography of the peripheral vessels
- Doppler ultrasound of the extracranial vessels (vessels outside the skull)
- B-scan and Doppler ultrasonography of dialysis shunts
- Ultrasound-guided needle biopsy of the abdominal organs
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid gland
- Diagnostics for suspected rheumatic diseases
- Joint ultrasound scanning
- Capillary microscopy
- Joint puncture with emergency microscopic testing of the synovial fluid, for example, for the presence of gout crystals or bacteria
- Modern imaging techniques: magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, dual-energy CT, PET-CT, PET-MRI (in collaboration with the Departments of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine)
- Therapeutic options
- Drug therapy
- Infusion therapy
- All modern types of dialysis (renal replacement therapy)
- Care for patients after kidney transplantation
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Uwe Heemann
University Education and Professional Career
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Medicine at the Ruhr University Bochum.
- 1986 - 1989 St. Johannisstift Hospital Paderborn.
- 1989 - 1991 Center for Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Essen.
- 1991 - 1994 Department of Transplant Surgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 1994 - 2002 Center for Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Essen.
- Since 2002 Head of the Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- Treatment of glomerulonephritis.
- Ultrasound diagnostics.
- Peritoneal dialysis.
- Kidney biopsy.
- Treatment of hypertension caused by kidney disease.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- 2002 - 2003 Secretary General of the German Society for Tissue Transplantation.
- 2002 Member of the Eurotransplant Control Committee.
- Since 2002 Member of the Organ Transplantation Advisory Committee.
- Since 2002 Member of the Kidney Transplant Advisory Committee, Eurotransplant.
- 2003 - 2008 President of the German Academy of Transplantation Medicine.
- Since 2003 Chairman of the Living Donation Foundation.
- 2005 - 2010 President of the German Society for Tissue Transplantation.
- Since 2005 Member of the Eurotransplant Control Committee.
- Since 2009 Chairman of the Kidney Transplant Advisory Committee, Eurotransplant.
Awards and Honors
- 1992 Research Award of the Transplantation Society.
- 1994 Young Investigator Award, Transplantation Society.
- 1997 and 1998 Research Award of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association.
- 1999 Honorary Professor, Sun Yat-sen University, China.
- 2000 Award of the Hungarian Society for Kidney Transplantation.
- 2001 Hans Zollinger Medal of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 2007 Honorary Doctor of Semmelweis University in Budapest.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München
Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.