PAN Clinic Cologne
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology (113995)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetology
About the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at PAN Clinic Cologne
The Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at the PAN Clinic Cologne offers all the options of modern medicine for the diagnostics and conservative treatment of diseases of the endocrine organs – thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, pituitary gland and reproductive glands (gonads). The competence of the department's doctors also includes medical care for the patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. The department is headed by Dr. med. Georg Mansmann.
The specialists of the medical facility have all the necessary resources to assess the condition and functioning of the endocrine organs, as well as to effectively eliminate hormonal disorders. The treatment involves the use of modern drugs to regulate the work of the endocrine system. The doctors from related medical fields are often involved in the therapeutic process, including gynecologists, specialists in reproductive medicine, urologists, neurosurgeons, nutritionists, etc. Thus, all the aspects of the patient's health status are taken into account during the treatment planning, which contributes to the achievement of the best treatment outcome.
The department's endocrinologists often admit patients with thyroid diseases: Hashimoto's thyroiditis, postpartum thyroiditis, De Quervain's thyroiditis, nodular goiter, functional autonomy of the thyroid gland, thyroid cancer and other pathologies. To make an accurate diagnosis, both laboratory and instrumental tests are used. The standard diagnostic protocol includes an assessment of thyroid hormone levels (thyroid-stimulating hormone, thyroxine and triiodothyronine) and ultrasound scanning. In case of suspected cancer, a thyroid biopsy is also required. The treatment regimen for thyroid pathologies is developed for each patient individually and often includes hormone replacement therapy. During the treatment, the patient is under the supervision of doctors who, if necessary, adjust the prescribed treatment course, depending on its success.
Endocrinologists also provide medical care to the patients with parathyroid and adrenal diseases, disorders of calcium and phosphorus metabolism, neuroendocrine gastrointestinal tumors, gonadal (testicular and ovarian) disorders and many other pathologies. When a diagnosis is confirmed, the department's specialists prescribe an optimal drug therapy regimen for a patient in order to alleviate symptoms and normalize hormone levels, which in turn leads to an improvement in the patient's health.
The department's therapeutic offer also includes the diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus – the disease characterized by a chronic increase in blood sugar levels caused by insulin deficiency or its incorrect action. The basis of diabetes mellitus diagnostics is a laboratory test to assess blood and urine sugar levels. Diabetes mellitus is an incurable disease, and therefore the treatment is aimed at normalizing blood glucose levels and metabolic processes, as well as preventing complications of diabetes mellitus. The primary and integral part of the treatment regimen is diet correction. Quitting bad habits (smoking, drinking alcohol) and changing a sedentary lifestyle to a more active one are also important. Nevertheless, in most cases, these measures are not enough to compensate for diabetes mellitus, and therefore they are supplemented with drug therapy (intake of antidiabetic drugs and insulin therapy).
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis
- Postpartum thyroiditis
- De Quervain's thyroiditis
- Riedel's thyroiditis
- Nodular goiter
- Functional autonomy of the thyroid gland
- Thyroid cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary and hypothalamus diseases
- Pituitary failure
- Cushing's disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of parathyroid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal diseases
- Primary adrenal insufficiency
- Cushing's disease
- Primary hyperaldosteronism
- Adrenal incidentaloma
- Adrenal cancer
- Adrenogenital syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of gonadal (testicular and ovarian) disorders
- Androgen deficiency
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Hormonal changes during menopause
- Diagnostics and treatment of disorders of calcium and phosphorus metabolism
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuroendocrine gastrointestinal tumors (carcinoids, vipomas)
- Diagnostics and treatment of type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of secondary arterial hypertension caused by endocrine disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of other endocrine disorders
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Georg Mansmann
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1987 - 1996 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cologne and Faculty of Medicine, University of Montpellier, France.
- 01.1997 - 07.1999 Internship, Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Cologne.
- 07.1999 - 11.2000 Assistant Physician, Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Cologne.
- 11.2000 - 09.2001 Scientific Coordinator of the Competence Centers for Malignant Lymphomas, Cologne.
- 10.2001 - 12.2011 Assistant Physician, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2006 - 2011 Board certification in Internal Medicine, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Since 2012 Chief Physician of the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at the PAN Clinic Cologne.
- 06.2006 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 04.2009 Specialization in Endocrinology and Diabetology.
- 09.2000 Specialization in Emergency Medical Care.
- 02.2010 Specialization in Radiation Protection.
- 03.2011 Medical Auditing Training, German Society for Pharmaceutical Medicine.
- 06.2011 Specialization in the use of ionizing radiation for assessing bone mineral density (osteodensitometry).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Endocrinology (DGE).
- German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO).
- North Rhine-Westphalian Society for Endocrinology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) PAN Klinik
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology.
PAN Clinic Cologne:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.