Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen
Department of Urology and Andrology (327075)
Specialized in: urology, andrology
About the Department of Urology and Andrology at Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen
The Department of Urology and Andrology at the Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen offers the full range of medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of disorders of the urinary system in women and men, as well as pathologies of the male genitalia. The focus of the department's urologists is on the patients suffering from cancer: prostate cancer, bladder cancer and kidney cancer. The specialists of the medical facility also have successful experience in the treatment of such benign urologic pathologies as kidney stone disease, infectious diseases of the urinary system, benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostatitis, kidney cysts and others. The department offers modern diagnostic tests and high-quality drug therapy for men suffering from androgen deficiency. In addition, the doctors of the medical facility specialize in sparing surgical treatment using the advanced da Vinci surgical system. Great attention is paid to the preventive diagnostic examinations in order to exclude urologic disorders.
The department is headed by Dr. med. Stephan Buse. The specialist has an excellent reputation in the area of his specialization both in Germany and far beyond its borders. Dr. Buse is rightfully proud of his unique clinical experience in the field of surgical interventions using the innovative da Vinci surgical system, which is available only in the best medical centers in Europe and other developed countries. During his career, the surgeon has performed more than 4,500 robot-assisted surgeries, thanks to which he saved thousands of human lives. In addition, the specialist trains doctors in robot-assisted surgery, including abroad, sharing with the pleasure his experience with other surgeons.
The most common diagnosis in the department 's clinical practice is prostate cancer. The disease progresses quite slowly, so a man may not even be aware of his diagnosis for many years. For the prevention or detection of prostate cancer at the initial stages, the department's urologists recommend regular clinical examination and PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test, especially for older men (after 50 years). With a suspected malignant tumor, the attending physician appoints imaging tests and a biopsy for the patient. If the diagnostic results confirm the presence of an oncological process in the patient's prostate gland, the doctors immediately begin treatment. Surgical tumor resection is an integral part of a comprehensive treatment regimen. Thanks to the advanced da Vinci surgical system, the department performs prostate cancer surgery using robot-assisted surgical techniques. Such interventions require only a few small skin incisions. The surgical procedures performed by the robot under the control of an experienced urological surgeon guarantee perfect accuracy. Robot-assisted surgery provides high treatment efficiency, but at the same time it allows doctors to preserve the nerve endings in patients and, accordingly, potency as much as possible. Such interventions also almost eliminate the risks of developing problems with urination in the future. The operation can be supplemented with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy and other conservative treatment methods aimed at the complete destruction of cancer cells in the human body. The required set of therapeutic measures is selected for the patient strictly on an individual basis, taking into account the particular stage of prostate cancer, the patient's age and general health status.
The department's medical team often admits patients suffering from bladder and kidney cancer. With suspected oncology, the patient undergoes laboratory and imaging tests, after which the attending physician makes a diagnosis and develops the optimal treatment regimen. The first-line therapy is usually surgical resection of the malignant tumor. The department's urologists prefer da Vinci robot-assisted surgery, if possible. Such interventions demonstrate high-quality results, and at the same time ensure minimal trauma, contribute to the early recovery of the patient and eliminate serious postoperative risks. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are most commonly used as additional therapeutic measures.
The department also has state-of-the-art laser equipment for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (for example, thulium laser), modern systems for treating kidney and bladder stones. In the case of infectious diseases of the urinary system in men and women, doctors provide high-quality drug therapy.
In the field of andrology, the diagnostics and treatment of androgen deficiency, erectile dysfunction, age-related changes in men and male hypogonadism (testicular failure) are of particular interest. As a rule, to eliminate andrological problems, the department's doctors individually prescribe modern drugs to patients.
The department's main clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant urologic diseases
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney stone disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary tract infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cysts
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant urologic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of androgen deficiency
- Diagnostics and treatment of erectile dysfunction
- Diagnostics and treatment of age-related changes in men
- Diagnostics and treatment of male hypogonadism (testicular failure)
- Other medical services
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Conservative treatment
- Drug therapy
- Chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy for cancer pathologies (in cooperation with specialized experts)
- Surgical treatment
- Da Vinci robot-assisted surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Laser surgery for benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for treating kidney stones
- Classic open surgery (rarely performed)
- Other conservative and surgical treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Stephan Buse
Dr. med. Stephan Buse is a world-known specialist in Urology. Dr. Buse became one of the pioneers in Germany in the field of surgery using the innovative da Vinci surgical system. The specialist has been carrying out robot-assisted surgery since 2005, and as of today he has performed more than 4,500 such interventions. He is also the Official Instructor for the da Vinci surgical system. Dr. Buse trains surgeons at hospitals around the world. Since 2009, more than 150 surgeons have successfully trained and studied the technology under his guidance. Currently, Dr. Buse is the Head of the Department of Urology and Andrology at the Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen.
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1993 - 2000 Study of Human Medicine, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf. Medical internships in New York, Malta, Vienna, St. Gallen.
- 2000 - 2003 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, Cantonal Hospital St.Gallen, Switzerland.
- 2003 - 2004 Assistant Physician and Research Fellow, Department of Abdominal and Transplant Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2004 - 2006 Assistant Physician and Research Fellow, Department of Urology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2006 - 2009 Senior Physician and Research Fellow, Department of Urology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 2009 Chief Physician, Department of Urology and Urologic Oncology, as well as Head of the Section of Robotic Surgery, Alfried Krupp Hospital Essen.
- Since 2012 Deputy Medical Director of the Alfried Krupp Hospital Essen.
- Since 2003 Laparoscopic and minimally invasive interventions.
- Since 2004 Laser interventions for prostate diseases (Greenlight laser and thulium laser).
- Since 2005 High-precision robot-assisted surgery using the innovative da Vinci surgical system.
- Since 2016 Head of the Robotic Urologic Section (ERUS) certified by the European Association of Urology, Essen.
- Since 2017 Practical seminars on the use of the da Vinci surgical system at the Research Institute in Strasbourg, France.
- SInce 2018 Practical seminars on the use of the da Vinci surgical system at the Paris Descartes University.
- Since 2020 Practical seminars on the use of the da Vinci surgical system at the ORSI Academy, Melle, Belgium.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Since 2001 German Society of Urology (DGU).
- Since 2001 European Association of Urology (EAU).
- Since 2009 German Society of Robotic Urology (DGRU).
- Since 2009 Society of Robotic Surgery (SRS).
- Since 2010 North-Rhine Westphalian Association of Urology (NRWGU).
- Since 2016 Robotic Urologic Section (ERUS) certified by the European Association of Urology, Essen.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Preventicum Facharztzentrum
Department of Urology and Andrology.
Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.