A discectomy with the placement of an intervertebral disc endoprosthesis is a modern and reliable treatment method for a herniated disc in the cervical spine. The main advantages of the procedure are the stability and mobility of the spinal column, the low risk of developing the disease in adjacent segments of the spine, and the absence of the need for revision operations. You can opt to go to Germany for the treatment of your intervertebral disc herniation with good results. On the Booking Health website, you can find out the cost of treatment and choose a medical care program for your preferred dates. We will help you select a German hospital that specializes in spine surgery.
- The essence of this treatment method for a herniated disc
- Who may need a discectomy and hernia prosthetic repair?
- Benefits of a discectomy and disc replacement surgery for a herniated disc
- Where to undergo your herniated disc treatment?
The essence of this treatment method for a herniated disc
There are disks between the human vertebrae that provide mobility to the spine. A disk consists of a fibrous sheath and an enclosed nucleus pulposus. If the disk wall protrudes and then ruptures, the fragments of the nucleus pulposus compress the nerve structures, such as the spinal cord or the spine nerve roots. This is how a hernia is formed.
The standard treatment for a herniated disc is a discectomy with the fixation of two adjacent vertebrae. Such an operation impairs the mobility of the spinal column and increases the risk of degeneration of adjacent segments.
As an alternative treatment option, doctors in the departments at German hospitals can perform the operation for total removal of the intervertebral disc with the implantation of an artificial endoprosthesis in its place. The prosthesis imitates all physiological movements while maintaining the mobility and stability of the spinal column.
The first replacement surgery for a herniated cervical disk was performed back in the 1960s of the twentieth century. The first endoprostheses in the form of metal balls did not provide spinal mobility, and the results were the same as in conventional rigid fixation of two vertebrae.
The first prosthesis providing the possibility of movement was created in Germany. It was developed at the Charite University Hospital Berlin in the 1980s. This endoprosthesis has been widely used around the world. It was initially used only in Europe, and doctors in the USA have started using the endoprosthesis since 2004. Since 2012, these types of prostheses have been discontinued due to the development of newer and more advanced models. Today, healthcare professionals in Germany use cervical disk prostheses of the very latest generation, which provide good long-term results.
Who may need a discectomy and hernia prosthetic repair?
Whenever possible, an intervertebral disc herniation is treated with the following conservative methods: painkillers, antispasmodics, muscle relaxants, and physiotherapy. However, if the treatment of pain is ineffective or severe neurological symptoms appear, patients undergo an operation.
There are different options for surgery of spine. Prosthetics are considered an effective treatment in the following situations:
- the lesion is at the same level (the operation is less often performed in the case of a lesion involving two cervical segments);
- there is no vertebral displacement, or it is insignificant;
- age up to 40 years (but in recent years, the influence of age on the outcomes of operations has been questioned as even patients over 60 years get good results in Germany);
- unsuccessful operations for a herniated disc in the patient's medical history.
Treatment in Germany with disk replacement surgery is not carried out for patients with osteoporosis, vertebral fractures, poor mobility of the operated segment, or concomitant spine diseases such as facet syndrome or spinal stenosis. A previous operation with the removal of facet joints is also considered a contraindication for disk replacement surgery.
Benefits of a discectomy and disc replacement surgery for a herniated disc
Endoprosthesis placement for the intervertebral disc of the cervical spine has many advantages as compared to a standard microdiscectomy with rigid vertebral fixation. These are the following:
- because the patient's own disk is completely removed, a cervical disk hernia cannot reoccur at the same level after surgery;
- stability of the spine can be achieved without any rigid fixation;
- the ability to move the operated segment in any anatomical direction allows for the avoidance of disease in the adjacent segment (degenerative changes do not develop in any adjacent discs)
- there is no need to restrict movements in the cervical spine after operations;
- a disk prosthesis performs a motor function immediately after its implantation;
- revision surgery is unlikely, both on the operated segment and at adjacent levels.
Where to undergo your herniated disc treatment?
You can undergo your hernia treatment using a discectomy with intervertebral disc replacement in Germany. Please leave your request on the Booking Health website to get a consultation from medical tourism specialists. After receiving your request, we will contact you, help you select a hospital in Germany, and agree on all the details of your trip.
There are a few reasons for you to undergo your surgery in Germany. These are the following:
- new modifications of operations on the spine that are safer and less traumatic;
- high-quality intraoperative diagnostics that allow doctors to reduce the risk of complications and more accurately place the implant;
- severe postoperative complications are uncommon;
- the use of the latest reliable and mobile endoprostheses;
- revision spinal surgery is very unlikely.
Doctors in Germany have the world's largest experience in intervertebral disc replacement, as it was here that the first movable prosthesis in the history of medicine was developed and implanted. Such operations have been performed at German hospitals since the 1980s, whereas in most other countries, the first operations to replace intervertebral discs were performed only at the beginning of the 21st century.
You are welcome to use the Booking Health website to undergo your treatment in Germany at a favorable price. The website presents the best German hospitals. Here you can compare the cost of treatment in different centers specializing in spine surgery and choose an affordable option. Our specialists will help you select a hospital that suits your request and arrange your trip.
Self-organization of treatment is often difficult and time-consuming for patients. You need to send a request to the hospital, wait a long time for a response to your request, and there is a risk of rejection. The waiting time for treatment will be long, and this is highly undesirable for a herniated disc with neurological symptoms because the later the operation is performed, the lower the chances that the symptoms will subsequently regress. When organizing your trip on your own, you have to independently look for interpreting services, book hotel and airline tickets, and resolve organizational issues that arise during the treatment process. However, you can leave these concerns to us. You are welcome to leave your request on the Booking Health website to get help in choosing a hospital and organizing a trip.
When you make your treatment appointment through our service, the cost of treatment will be lower for you. The prices will be reduced due to the lack of taxes for foreign patients. You will receive insurance against unforeseen medical expenses, so the original cost of treatment will not increase even if additional procedures are required.
The article was edited by medical experts, board-certified doctors Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova and Dr. Vadim Zhiliuk. For the treatment of the conditions referred to in the article, you must consult a doctor; the information in the article is not intended for self-medication!
National Spine Health Foundation