Sarcoma of the femur is one of the most malignant tumors. It grows rapidly, spreads metastasis to the lungs and other organs. However, in recent years, the doctors in Germany have noted a significant increase in the survival rate of the patients with this disease. This country performs high-quality organ-preserving operations. In combination with chemotherapy, they can provide a recovery of the patient, whereas the follow-up rehabilitation makes it possible to return him to an active full life.
How is the treatment of osteosarcoma carried out?
Surgery remains the primary treatment option in osteosarcoma, but regardless of the stage of the process, if it is a high-grade tumor, chemotherapy can be additionally performed.
The standard treatment regimen for a resectable tumor is as follows:
- Biopsy. A doctor performs a surgical intervention, during which he obtains a small fragment of the tumor. It is sent for the histological examination. As a result, the accurate diagnosis is established. In addition, it enables the determination of the histological type of the tumor, which affects the choice of treatment tactics. It is desirable that the biopsy is performed by the same orthopedist who will perform further radical surgery. Such an approach allows the doctor to reduce the extent of operation and maintain the function of the limb. If an excisional biopsy is aimed at the upcoming radical surgery, the likelihood of leg amputation is reduced.
- Chemotherapy. Most оsteosarcomas have a high grade, and therefore, in the classic option, the treatment begins with chemotherapy. It is required for the destruction of cancer cells, which could spread in the body. In addition, they help to reduce the size of the neoplasm, thereby facilitating the process of its removal. The operation performed after chemotherapy can be less invasive, and this reduces the risk of disability in the patient. Chemotherapy is prescribed for 10 weeks.
- Radical surgery. It is performed directly to remove the osteosarcoma. German surgeons always prefer organ-preserving surgical interventions. This is technically a more complicated operation. It is prolonged, requires many efforts, experience and skills from the doctor. However, in the end, a person retains a limb. Eventually, he recovers not only the ability to self-service, but can also return to his professional activities.
- Chemotherapy. It is required for the prevention of a recurrence. It is carried out within 1 year after the operation. It significantly increases the survival of the patient in comparison with the operative therapy alone. Chemotherapy drugs can destroy the remaining cancer cells, regardless of their location. Therefore, such treatment reduces the possibility of not only local, but also long-term recurrence.
Simultaneously, the patient will undergo a rehabilitation. It will allow him to restore the limb function, to return to a normal social and professional life. Rehabilitation can last up to 12 months.
At what stages is the operative therapy of sarcoma of the femur possible?
Osteosarcoma can be divided into the following types:
- localized or metastatic;
- resectable or unresectable.
Resectable cancer is considered a sarcoma, which can be removed. It does not matter if it is localized or metastatic. If the metastases are small, they can also be removed. The primary tumor at the time of the appearance of metastasis is not necessarily large. In some cases, metastatic lesions are detected earlier than the osteosarcoma itself.
Nonetheless, localized sarcoma of the femur is significantly more resectable. As a rule, it can be removed. The symptoms of the disease occur early. The pathology causes severe pain, which forces a person to visit a doctor.
The tumors, which are too large or with the location near vital anatomical structures cannot be removed, but they can become resectable after chemotherapy, as they decrease in size. In the case of success, the operation can still be carried out. If the neoplasm does not decrease, only radiation and chemotherapy can be carried out, which do not cure the disease, but help a person to prolong life.
How is the surgical treatment of osteosarcoma carried out?
There can be used the following two main options for the surgical treatment of sarcoma of the femur:
- Amputation of a limb.
- Organ-preserving operation for osteosarcoma removal.
German experts prefer organ-preserving operations. They are sufficiently qualified for successful performance of these complex surgical interventions. These surgical procedures allow for achieving similar long-term results. In the case of success, the person is completely cured of the disease.
The sarcoma of the femur can be removed with the indent from the edge of the tumor. During the surgery, bone and soft tissue defects always occur. Bone defects can be replaced by one of two methods or a combination of both of them. The doctor can use either autologous bone tissue of the patient from the donor area, or a tumor endoprosthesis. The implantation of an endoprosthesis made of synthetic materials has an obvious advantage, it does not require additional surgery and does not carry a risk of complications from the donor area. The artificial bone after implantation successfully grows into the tissue, thereby ensuring the preservation of the function of the operated limb.
After surgery, the removed material is always examined for the presence of tumor cells. They should not be detected at the edges of the resection. Should cancer cells be detected, the risk of recurrence of femoral sarcoma will be assessed as high. In this case, to prevent osteosarcoma recurrence, the patient requires an additional operation or a course of radiation therapy.
In Germany, the surgical treatment of sarcoma of the femur is performed by the best professionals in the world. They achieve excellent results in the treatment of the dangerous disease. Therefore, foreign patients often come to German clinics in order to undergo surgery to remove osteosarcoma.
Treatment in Germany with the Booking Health company
To undergo the treatment of osteosarcoma in Germany, you can use the services of the Booking Health company. We will arrange a trip for you to one of the best German clinics, so that you can take advantage of the very latest achievements in orthopedics and oncology. You will be treated by the best specialists in the world. This is important in the case of osteosarcoma, since the survival of patients with this disease largely depends on the skills of the surgeon who performs the operation.
You will receive a number of benefits:
- Treatment of sarcoma in Germany will take place within the specialized Center for Orthopedics, which shows the best statistics on this disease.
- Provision of favorable costs for medical procedures and the entire therapeutic program up to 50% due to the absence of coefficients and overpricing for foreign patients.
- Booking an appointment on the most suitable dates for you.
- Preparation of the program taking into account previously performed examinations.
- Establishment of communication directly with the attending physician who carries out surgical treatment.
- Monitoring of the program at all its stages.
- Control of invoices and return of unspent funds.
- Buying and forwarding of medicines.
- Organization of additional diagnostic, therapeutic procedures or rehabilitation.
- Communication with the Department of Orthopedics upon the treatment completion.
We will provide top-class services. We will buy airline tickets, book a room at the hotel near the Center for Orthopedics, meet you at the German airport and take you to the clinic by car.