Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa
Department of General Surgery (302866)
Specialized in: general surgery
About the department
The Department of General Surgery at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa offers the full range of services in this field. The department specializes in cancer and endocrine surgery, surgical treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases and colorectal pathology, metabolic disorders, hernias, emergency surgical care and traumatology. The department annually treats more than 6,000 patients and performs about 3,000 operations. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Yoram Kluger.
Most surgical interventions are performed using a minimally invasive method, which allows the doctor to operate without wide incisions. This can not only shorten the patient’s rehabilitation period, but also help avoid postoperative complications, such as adhesions, infections, fistulas, etc. The high-tech surgical equipment, the use of very latest surgical techniques in the modern system of sterile operating rooms provide the successful results during the surgical interventions of varying complexity.
The success of the surgical treatment also depends on the professionalism of the specialists who work in the department. The masters of their specialization take care of the patients' health. They regularly improve their qualifications both in Israeli hospitals and in the hospitals of Western Europe and USA.
The service range of the department includes:
- Cancer surgery
- Surgical treatment of malignant diseases of the liver and biliary tract
- Pancreatic resections
- Surgery to remove sarcomas
- Cytoreductive surgery with HIPEC for the treatment of malignant tumors of the abdominal organs
- Thoracic surgery
- Surgery to treat malignant diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Endocrine surgery
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant thyroid diseases
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant parathyroid diseases
- Hernia repair
- Hiatal hernia repair
- Inguinal hernia repair
- Anterior abdominal wall hernia repair
- Surgical treatment of inflammatory bowel disease and colorectal pathology
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the colon and rectum
- Surgery to treat Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis surgery
- Metabolic and laparoscopic surgery
- Bariatric procedures (sleeve gastrectomy, Scopinaro procedure, gastric bypass surgery)
- Comprehensive corrective surgery for patients who could not lose weight with the help of bariatric procedures
- Laparoscopic resection of the adrenal glands and spleen
- Heller myotomy for the treatment of esophageal achalasia
- Emergency surgical care for acute surgical conditions and injuries
- Other medical services
- 1980 Study of Medicine, Hadassah Medical School, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- 1988 Lecturer, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem.
- 1993 Lecturer, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem.
- 1996 Assistant of the Clinical Professor, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 2000 Clinical Assistant Professor, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 2005 Clinical Assistant Professor, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa.
- 1982 - 1985 Military Doctor (Captain).
- 1989 - 1990 Head of the Trauma Medical Service, Israel Defense Forces (Major).
- 1990 - 1991 Leading Surgeon, Department of Surgery, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1993 - 1994 Leading Surgeon, Department of Surgery, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1994 - 2004 Founding Director of the Rabin Trauma Center, TLV Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 1996 - 2002 Commander, Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, (MASH), Israel Defense Forces (Lieutenant Colonel).
- 1998 - 2000 Member of the Examination Commission for Surgery, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1999 Member of the Academic Council, Israel Defense Forces.
- 2000 - 2005 Chairman of the Education Committee, Israeli Surgical Association.
- 2001 - 2005 Chairman of the Examination Committee, Academic Council.
- 2001 Committee Member on Fundamental Sciences, Academic Council, Israel Medical Association.
- 2001 - 2002 Head of the Department of General Surgery (A), Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel.
- 2002 - 2004 Director of the Rabin Trauma Center, Tel Aviv Medical Center.
- 2004 Committee Member of the Residency Program Review.
- 2004 - 2010 Head of the Department of General Surgery (B), Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel.
- 2009 - 2013 Chairman of the Training Committee, Israeli Surgical Association.
- 2009 - 2012 Deputy Head of the Department of General Surgery, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel.
- 2010 - 2011 Chairman of the Council of Doctors, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel.
- 2010 Head of the Department of General Surgery, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel.
- 2010 - 2011 Head of the Forum on General Surgery of the Northern District, Israel.
- 2010 - 2013 Board Member of Directors for the Personnel Management, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel.
- 2011 Director of the Pancreatic Surgery Center, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel.
- 2012 Chairman of the Steering Committee, Postgraduate Program in Traumatology, Israeli Trauma Society.
- 2012 - 2014 National Committee Member (Surgery, Anesthesiology and Intensive Care), Ministry of Health, Israel.
- 2014 Member of the RHCC Pancreatic Disease Research Consortium.
- The use of recombinant factor VIIa in traumatology.
- Clinical aspects of injury kinematics.
- Reperfusion injuries.
- Complications due to the reperfusion injuries.
- New opportunities in the treatment of pancreas.
- Education in surgery.
- Infrastructure of the surgical system in medicine.
Membership in Professional Societies
- 1982 Israel Medical Association.
- 1987 Israeli Trauma Society (since 1995 till 1997, the position of Secretary).
- 1992 Israeli Surgical Association.
- 1993 Eastern Trauma Association for the Surgery of Trauma (USA).
- 1993 Panamerican Trauma Society (USA).
- 1993 Israel Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- 1998 - 1999 Society of Critical Care Medicine (USA, SCCM).
- 1999 - 2010 Israel Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery.
- 2000 - 2006 Israeli Society of Breast Diseases.
- 2002 American College of Surgeons.
- 2004 World Society of Emergency Surgery (Board Member).
- 2004 European Society for Trauma and Emergency Surgery (until 2006, Board Member).
- 2013 European Society of Surgical Oncology.
Prizes and Awards
- 1988 Dean's Prize for Excellence in Medical Work, Hadassah Medical School.
- 1992 First Prize for the Best Scientific Report: "Increased risk of intracranial injuries due to the blunt closed head injury", Pennsylvania Trauma Systems Foundation.
- 1996 First Prize for the Best Scientific Report: "Intraperitoneal injection of methylene blue in fecal peritonitis in rats", Israeli Trauma Society.
- 1997 Director General Award for achievements in Medical Practice, Israel Ministry of Health.
- 2005 First Prize for the Best Scientific Report: "A randomized study of the factor VIIa effectiveness in the control of hemorrhages in patients with severe blunt trauma: re-analysis after the excluding of the early death (less than 48 hours)", International Society of Intensive Care Medicine.
- 2006 Best Lecturer Award, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Israel.
- 2011 Prize for the Best Research Project: "The availability of alcohol dispensers as a factor in improvement of hand hygiene quality among the medical personnel", Rambam Health Care Campus.
- 2011 First Prize for the Best Scientific Report: "Electronic monitoring and feedback as factors for improvement of hand hygiene quality among the medical personnel of the Department of Surgery", Israeli Surgical Society.
- 2012 Dean's Prize for Excellence in Educational Activities.
- 2012 Award for the second place, scientific report: "Electronic observation and feedback as factors for improvement of hand hygiene quality among the medical personnel of the Department of Surgery", ESTES, Basel, Switzerland.
- 2013 One of the top ten research projects in 2013: "Diagnostics of colon cancer in younger and older patients, regardless of patient's complaints," Israel Medical Association Journal.
Department of General Surgery.
Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.