Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa
Department of Neurosurgery (302869)
Specialized in: neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Neurosurgery at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa provides the highly accurate diagnostics and modern surgical treatment of diseases of the nervous system. The medical facility is recognized as the national leader in the treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the brain and spinal cord, vascular diseases, traumatic brain injuries, skull base surgery, microsurgery, as well as in the treatment of degenerative diseases and tumors of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. The department has 32 beds for inpatient treatment, including 11 beds in the Intensive Care Unit. The department treats about 6,000 patients and performs more than 1,300 surgical interventions every year. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Gill Sviri.
The team of the department's doctors includes 8 neurosurgeons and 6 interns who successfully combine clinical activities with research in immunotherapy, robotics, evoked potentials, neurophysiology, etc. The department's nursing staff also has extensive experience in the provision of intensive care.
The department has state-of-the-art surgical and monitoring equipment, while the team of doctors has extensive experience in performing operations using the most advanced surgical techniques. For example, it uses an advanced ultrasound intraoperative navigation technique, which provides the best possible accuracy when removing neoplasms of the nervous system. To detect brain tumors, 5-ALA fluorescence methods are used. Moreover, the department was the first to use the coagulation factor VIIa to arrest hemorrhage in the case of traumatic brain injuries.
The department operates the specialized sections, such as the Intensive Care Unit, Neurophysiological Laboratory and the Tremor Section, which is the only one in Israel and the second in the world in the provision of highly accurate non-invasive MRI-guided intracerebral interventions.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors
- Pituitary adenomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of cerebral hemangiomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of intracranial hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired hydrocephalus
- Endoscopic ventriculocysternostomy of the floor of the third ventricle
- Aqueductoplasty (stent implantation in cerebral aqueduct)
- Ventriculocystocysternostomy (creation of anastomosis between the brain ventricles)
- Septostomy (dissection of the transparent septum of the brain in monoventricular and biventricular forms of the disease, as well as in polycystic hydrocephalus)
- Endoscopic removal of intraventricular brain tumors
- Endoscopic bypass grafting
- Diagnostics and treatment of arteriovenous malformations
- Diagnostics and treatment of tremor
- Deep brain stimulation
- Innovative and non-invasive MRI-guided treatment of tremor using focused ultrasound
- Diagnostics and treatment of cavernomas
- Open neurosurgical interventions
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of epilepsy
- LINAC linear accelerator radiosurgery
- Epiduroscopy for the diagnostics and treatment of spinal diseases
- Other medical services
Dr. Gill Sviri graduated from the Technion’s Ruth & Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine in 1996. Dr Sviri completed his training in Neurosurgery (2002) at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa. It was followed by a fellowship in clinical skull base and cerebrovascular surgery at the University of Washington (2004 - 2006), where he is currently an Affiliated Associated Professor. Dr. Sviri did some advance neurosurgical training at the University Pittsburg and in the Houston Methodist Hospital, in which he is affiliated as a Research Fellow. He is one of the leading Neurosurgeon in Israel. Since May 2018, Dr. Sviri is the Chief Physician of the Department of Neurosurgery and the Head of the Skull Base and Pituitary Program at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa. He also holds the position of a Clinical Assistant Professor in Neurosurgery at Technion (Israel institute of Technology).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa
Department of Neurosurgery.
Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.