Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (302877)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology, head and neck surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa offers the full range of comprehensive diagnostics and effective treatment for diseases of the nasal cavity, maxillary sinuses, ears, mouth, pharynx, as well as benign and malignant tumors of the head, neck and skull base. The department provides its services to patients of all age groups. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ziv Gil.
The surgical treatment is performed using the most advanced and innovative techniques. For example, the department actively uses minimally invasive interventions, which preserve organs and prevent damage to the healthy tissues. It also performs progressive robot-assisted interventions. The most complicated operations to remove neoplasms localized in hard-to-reach areas can be performed through natural openings, for example, through the nasal or oral cavity. Such surgical procedures are performed using the da Vinci surgical system.
The department is the absolute leader in the treatment of nasal tumors, endoscopic removal of brain tumors and minimally invasive removal of skull base tumors. Such operations are performed by the team of specialists led by leading surgeons of the department and in collaboration with neurosurgeons, plastic surgeons and maxillofacial surgeons.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of hearing loss
- Conductive hearing loss
- Sensorineural hearing loss
- Mixed hearing loss
- Diagnostics and treatment of snoring
- Diagnostics and treatment of hoarseness
- Drug and surgical therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of vocal cord paralysis
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck tumors
- Oral cancer
- Laryngeal cancer
- Tracheal cancer
- Tongue cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Salivary gland cancer
- Tonsil cancer
- Thymoma (thymus tumor)
- Diagnostic services
- Palpation and examination of the mouth floor and root of the tongue
- Assessment of the condition of the nasopharynx, laryngopharynx and larynx using flexible endoscope
- Computed tomography (CT) for the detection of the exact location of the neck and head tumors
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for the detection of tumors of the skull base and tongue
- Ultrasound scanning for the detection of highly differentiated thyroid cancer
- Positron emission tomography (PET) for the assessment of the extension of the malignant process
- 2D radiography for lesions of the upper or lower jaw
- Angiography for suspected tumor invasion to the carotid artery
- Therapeutic services
- Head and neck tumors at the stages I and II: surgical ablation, tumor removal, radiation therapy
- Head and neck tumors at the stages III and IV: comprehensive treatment using radiation therapy and chemotherapy
- Diagnostic services
- Diagnostics and treatment of skull base tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of nasal tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of lacrimal duct obstruction
- Diagnostics and treatment of leukoplakia
- Surgical removal of leukoplastic foci
- Laser surgery
- Cryoprobe treatment (exposure to the affected area by means of ultralow temperatures)
- Diagnostics and treatment of otolaryngological diseases in children
- Vocal cord paralysis
- Glottic stenosis
- Tracheal stenosis
- Laryngeal papillomas
- Vocal cord polyps
- Bronchogenic cysts
- Thyrolingual cyst
- Vascular malformations of the head and neck
- Lymphatic malformations of the head and neck
- Laryngotracheal reconstruction
- Choanal atresia
- Congenital nasal obstruction
- Pharyngeal tonsil hypertrophy
- Respiratory failure (apnea) during sleep
- Chronic otitis (middle ear inflammation)
- Hearing loss
- Excessive salivation
- Diagnostics and treatment of dizziness and imbalance
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Prof. Ziv Gil is the Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa. He also serves as the Head of the Applied Cancer Research Laboratory of the Technion (Israel Institute of Technology) at Rambam.
Prof. Gil received his doctoral degree and PhD in Biophysics and Neuroscience from Ben-Gurion University. He is a graduate of the Otolaryngology Residency Program at the Tel Aviv Medical Center. He also completed a two-year fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, NY. This was followed by another fellowship in Skull Base Endoscopic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Prof. Gil has established new techniques in skull base endoscopic and robotic surgery, and is frequently invited to lecture and teach courses internationally. In 2014, he established the first comprehensive Head and Neck Center in Israel at Rambam.
Prof. Gil is a Member of the Rappaport Research Institute and the Clinical Research Institute at Rambam. He has received awards from the Israeli Parliament, NY Head and Neck Society, Israeli Cancer Society and Folks Foundation, UK. He is the author of 4 books and over 200 scientific publications and book chapters. Prof. Gil serves on the editorial board of multiple journals, including Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Skull Base Journal and Head and Neck Journal. He has been listed several times on the "Faculty of 1000" best articles list.
He is also the leader of several international consortia in head and neck cancer, including the International Consortium for Outcome Research (ICOR) in head and neck cancer and the Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma International Study (AXIS) Group. His research is funded by numerous national and international agencies.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.