Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa
Department of Pediatric Surgery (302907)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa offers the full range of modern surgical treatment of various diseases in children of all age groups. The department is headed by Dr. med. Ran Steinberg, who is one of the leading pediatric surgeons in Israel.
Preference is always given to minimally invasive interventions. Also, the department's specialists have unique surgical techniques, which have no analogues all over the world. The pediatric surgeons of the department are the only Israeli specialists, who perform minimally invasive robotic operations in children. To this end, they use the DaVinci robotic system, which is capable to make movements with a 360-degree angle. In the case of such operations, the risk of postoperative complications, as well as the period of hospitalization is significantly reduced. The service range of the department also includes open interventions.
The department performs hundreds of operations on the thoracic and abdomen organs, correction of congenital malformations, and interventions in children with serious injuries. It should be noted that the department is one of the leading in the country in the field of surgical treatment of children with oncological diseases, congenital defects, Crohn's and Hirschsprung's diseases. Particular attention is paid to congenital anal malformations, which lead to incontinence and prolonged constipation.
The treatment is based on the comprehensive approach to each clinical case. In addition, it is very important for young patients and their parents to receive not only medical care, but also a psychological support. Therefore, the department's doctors tell the parents in detail about the scheme of operations, as well as answer any questions that may arise. The pediatric psychologists work in the department for children, as well as animators who help young patients to cope with the fear of the upcoming operation.
The department specializes in the following interventions:
- Removal of lymphangiomas
- Surgical treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia dysfunction
- Thoracoscopic correction of atresia and esophageal stenosis
- Thoracoscopic correction of diaphragmatic hernia and diaphragm paralysis (including the recurrences)
- Biopsy and surgical removal of mediastinal tumors
- Complete or partial laparoscopic splenectomy (spleen removal)
- Laparoscopic bowel resections
- Removal of tumors of the abdominal organs and retroperitoneal neoplasms
- Partial hepatectomy (removal of benign or malignant liver tumors)
- Biliary tract surgery (removal of the gallbladder, correction of bile duct anomalies, choledochal cysts)
- Testicular vein ligation in varicocele
- Laparoscopic orchiopexy
- Surgical treatment of Hirschsprung's disease (laparoscopic or rectoscopic method)
- Anal atresia repair
- Laparoscopic gastrostomy
- Laparoscopic fundoplication in gastroesophageal reflux
- Laparoscopic Heller procedure in esophageal achalasia
- Laparoscopic correction of urogenital fistulas
- Surgery in hyperhidrosis
- Surgical treatment of injuries of varying severity in children
- Correction of congenital abnormalities
- Other surgical services
- Haifa, Israel