University Hospital RWTH Aachen
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery (113795)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiac surgery
About the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at University Hospital RWTH Aachen
The Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery University Hospital RWTH Aachen offers all the advanced surgical techniques for the treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects in children. The department's doctors mostly have to deal with such pathologies as tetralogy of Fallot, atrial septal defect, ventricular septal defect, patent ductus arteriosus and others. With appropriate indications, the surgeons perform operations using sparing minimally invasive techniques. Pediatric cardiac surgeons also have excellent experience in interventions using a heart-lung machine. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Jaime Vázquez-Jiménez.
The department's tasks include the preparation for heart surgery, surgical intervention itself, postoperative monitoring and therapy, including general and postoperative intensive care. In collaboration with the Department of Gynecology, the department treats cardiac arrhythmias and heart defects at the stage of intrauterine development.
It is worth noting that the department has all the advanced systems for non-invasive diagnostics, for example, electrocardiography, 24-hour ECG monitoring, stress electrocardiography with spiroergometry, long-term blood pressure measurement, examinations using event recorders, echocardiography, including stress echocardiography and transesophageal echocardiography. Magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography of the heart and nearby vessels are carried out in collaboration with the Department of Radiology.
Invasive diagnostics is conducted within the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory. The laboratory equipment meets the needs of small patients. Both catheter diagnostics and therapy of heart diseases can be performed here (balloon dilatation of vessels, stent implantation, closure of intracardiac communications, etc.). The therapeutic options are complemented by radiofrequency ablation. The department also provides monitoring for adult patients with congenital heart defects.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Correction of congenital and acquired heart defects in children of all age groups (operations with and without heart-lung machine)
- Surgical treatment of adults with congenital heart defects
- Surgery for mediastinal and tracheal diseases in childhood
- Implantation of pacemakers and operations on the central vessels in children
- Preoperative consultations on the possible treatment options (in collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Cardiology, the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Jaime Vázquez-Jiménez
- 1973 - 1979 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Seville, Spain.
- Internships at the German Heart Center Munich, Heart Center of St. Augustine, University of Cologne.
- Since 2004 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen.
- October 2003 - December 2003 Surgeon, University of Seville, Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío.
- September 2002 - September 2003 Surgeon, Hospital do Meixoeiro.
- August 1995 - June 2002 Surgeon, then Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital RWTH Aachen.
- 1998 Board certification in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Aachen.
- 2000 Board certification in Cardiac Surgery (at the European level), Aachen.
- 2001 Venia legendi in Cardiac Surgery, Rhine-Westphalian Technical Aachen University.
- July 1994 - June 1995 Postdoctoral Student, Prof. Al Pacifico, University of Alabama, Birmingham.
- January 1993 - June 1994 Surgeon, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital RWTH Aachen.
- September 1989 - December 1992 Assistant Surgeon, and then Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Friedrichshafen Clinic.
- January 1988 - September 1989 Assistant Surgeon, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Cologne.
- September 1983 - January 1987 Assistant Surgeon, Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Heart Center Of Saint Augustine.
- April 1981 - January 1983 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service in Cardiothoracic Surgery, German Heart Center Munich.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Uniklinik RWTH Aachen
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
University Hospital RWTH Aachen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.