University Hospital RWTH Aachen
Euregional Comprehensive Cancer Center Aachen (26094)
Tim Henrik Brümmendorf
Specialized in: oncology
About the department
The Euregional Comprehensive Cancer Center Aachen at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen offers accurate diagnostics, comprehensive treatment and follow-up care of patients with malignant pathologies. The center was founded on March 15, 2010 as a maximum care interdisciplinary medical facility. Since 2018, the Cancer Center Aachen in collaboration with the Cancer Centers of the University Hospitals in Bonn, Cologne and Duesseldorf has been part of the Center for Integrated Oncology Aachen Bonn Cologne Duesseldorf, which is funded by the German Cancer Aid. The center regularly demonstrates high treatment success rates and is justifiably considered one of the best German medical facilities. The Director of the center is Prof. Dr. med. Tim Henrik Brümmendorf.
The center integrates experts from all specialized departments of the university hospital, which provides highly competent treatment of malignant neoplasms of all organs and anatomical structures of the human body. Any therapeutic measures are preceded by comprehensive diagnostics, which allows to determine the tumor type, its exact location and degree of spread of the malignant process. The services include the provision of a second opinion, which often plays a crucial role in selection of a treatment strategy. The cancer diagnosis entails a huge emotional shock, and in most cases it is not possible for the patient to cope with it on his own. In this regard, psycho-oncological care is an integral part of the treatment process, which serves to set the patient up for a favorable treatment outcome.
The doctors of the center also take care of the preservation of reproductive function in patients, since chemotherapy or radiation therapy may cause infertility. Many modern methods are available here, for example, the administration of hormones to immobilize the ovaries, in vitro fertilization with cryopreservation of fertilized oocytes, hormonal stimulation with follicular puncture and cryopreservation of unfertilized oocytes, semen cryopreservation from the ejaculate, ovarian tissue cryopreservation and others.
Each clinical case is considered on an interdisciplinary tumor board with the participation of oncologists, surgeons, radiation therapists, radiologists, neuroradiologists, specialists in nuclear medicine, exact specialists (for example, gastroenterologists, endocrinologists, urologists, etc.). The doctors cooperatively develop the most effective treatment regimen.
The center specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of patients with the following oncological diseases:
- Tumors of the endocrine organs (for example, thyroid, parathyroid cancer)
- Gastrointestinal tumors (for example, tumors of the stomach, intestine)
- Tumors of the female reproductive organs (for example, tumors of the uterus, cervix, ovaries)
- Tumors of the male reproductive organs (for example, cancer of the prostate gland, testicle, penis)
- Skin tumors
- Malignant blood diseases (various leukemias)
- Head and neck tumors
- Lung tumors
- Breast tumors
- Tumors of the nervous system
- Tumors in children and adolescents
- Bone and soft tissue sarcomas
- Cancer of unknown primary
- Rare tumors
- Other oncopathologies
Education and Professional Сareer
- Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Heidelberg and Hamburg.
- Clinical training at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (two-year internship in Vancouver, Canada).
- 2004 Habilitation, University of Tuebingen.
- Work at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, where he founded the University Cancer Center Hamburg.
- Since 2009 Work at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen. Founder and Head of the Euregional Comprehensive Cancer Center Aachen.
Spcial Fields of Specialization
- Acute and chronic leukemia.
- Malignant lymphomas.
- Molecular targeted therapy.
- Blood stem cell biology.
- Protein kinase inhibitors in the treatment of hematologic neoplasms.
- Eukaryotic initiation factor 5a (eIF5a).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Uniklinik RWTH Aachen
Euregional Comprehensive Cancer Center Aachen.
University Hospital RWTH Aachen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.