University Hospital RWTH Aachen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (26100)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. The priority focuses of clinical practice are the treatment of tumors of the brain, skull base, pituitary, spine, spinal cord, spinal disc herniation, spinal canal stenosis, vascular diseases of the brain and spinal cord, pediatric neurosurgical diseases, peripheral nerve disorders, injuries of the head, brain, spine and etc. As one of the largest and leading medical facilities in the field of its specialization at the national level, the department provides each patient with an individual, optimal treatment. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Hans Clusmann.
When performing surgical treatment, the doctors use the very latest techniques, such as neuronavigation, fluorescence and intraoperative neuromonitoring. Also, the department's surgeons have vast experience in the field of neurosurgical interventions in waking state. Such a state-of-the-art department's technical base allows for performing high-precision operations with great success.
The department has long experience in the treatment of neurosurgical diseases in children and adolescents. Important attention is paid to counseling parents and their participation in the treatment process. Any surgical intervention is carefully planned in cooperation with the experts from related fields, for example, neuroradiologists, pediatric radiologists, maxillofacial surgeons, plastic surgeons, otorhinolaryngologists and pediatric surgeons.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Surgical treatment of oncopathologies of the central and peripheral nervous system
- Spinal surgery
- Minimally invasive interventions in disc herniation and decompression of all spinal parts
- Stabilizing interventions on the craniocervical area
- Fusion (360°) in degenerative, traumatic, infectious and tumor diseases of all spinal parts (especially in accompanying neurological deficit)
- Percutaneous, minimally invasive implantation of stabilizing systems for the thoracic and lumbar spine
- Cervical disc replacement in spinal disc herniation
- Thoracoscopic, reconstructive and intervertebral spinal disc surgery of the thoracic spine
- Dynamic stabilization of the lumbar spine
- Functional-guided microsurgical resection of intraspinal tumors
- Vertebroplasty/kyphoplasty in osteoporosis and tumors
- Surgical treatment of neurovascular diseases
- Cerebral aneurysms (ruptured and unruptured)
- Dural arteriovenous fistulas in brain and spinal cord
- Spinal and cranial arteriovenous malformations
- Cavernomas in the eloquent brain regions (including brainstem)
- Cerebral revascularization (bypass grafting) for complex aneurysms, skull base tumors and Moyamoya disease
- Skull base and pituitary surgery (for example, pituitary adenomas, craniopharyngiomas)
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Tumor resection
- Treatment of hydrocephalus
- Treatment of skull and spinal malformations
- Treatment of inflammatory diseases of the nervous system
- Treatment of traumatic brain injuries in children
- Treatment of congenital disorders of the central nervous system
- Functional neurosurgery
- Deep brain stimulation
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome
- Meralgia paresthetica
- Peroneal syndrome
- Morton's metatarsalgia
- Treatment of traumatic brain injuries (for example, closed or open head injuries, including brain compression, intracranial hemorrhage and skull base fractures)
- Spinal injuries
- Other medical services
- 1986 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Cologne.
- 1989 - 1993 Experimental PhD thesis at the Institute of Neurophysiology of the University of Cologne (under the supervision of Prof. Dr. med. Uwe Heinemann).
- 1996 Doctoral thesis defense with honors.
- 1991 Internship at the University of California, Los Angeles (USA) in Dr. med. PhD Jerome Engel.
- 1994 Intern at the Institute of Neurophysiology, University of Cologne.
- 1994 - 2001 Intern and Assistant Physician in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Bonn.
- Board certification in Neurosurgery.
- 2003 Appointment as Senior Physician.
- 2004 Venia legendi in Neurosurgery and the title of PD at the University of Bonn. Subject of the habilitation work: "Differentiated limited resections in the surgical treatment of temporal lobe epilepsy. Research of prognostic factors, chances for the successful treatment outcome and operational risks".
- 2007 Position of the Leading Senior Physician.
- 2007 Additional specialization in Special Intensive Care.
- 2007 - 2009 Repeated stay in the Arab States, Advisory Activities and Neurosurgical Operations.
- 2009 Deputy Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 2010 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor of Neurosurgery, RWTH Aachen and the Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- Since May 2010 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery and Professor of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen.
Scientific Awards and Honors
- 1998 Hans Imhoff Research Prize, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cologne.
- 2001 Encouraging Award of the Neurosurgical Research Foundation, German Society of Neurosurgery.
- Interventions on the brain and skull base:
- Brain tumor resection (using neuronavigation and intraoperative monitoring).
- Skull base and pituitary surgery.
- Vascular neurosurgery.
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy.
- Pediatric neurosurgery (special focus on endoscopic treatment of hydrocephalus).
- Treatment of traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal surgery:
- Degenerative diseases of the spine and intervertebral discs of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine with lesions of the nerve roots or spinal cord.
- Spinal tumors and injuries.
- Minimally invasive treatment of osteoporosis, vertebral fractures (taking into account the patient’s age).
- Reconstructive interventions on the spine.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital RWTH Aachen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home