University Hospital RWTH Aachen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics (26101)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics University Hospital RWTH Aachen ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in joint replacement surgery!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment for patients with musculoskeletal diseases. The department treats patients of all age groups ranging from young children to elderly people. The department annually treats more than 15,000 patients, and also performs about 1,500 interventions yearly. The department has long traditions, long successful clinical experience, which contributes to its reputable status in the medical arena. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Markus Tingart.
One of the department's key activities is joint surgery and endoprosthetics, including revision interventions. With the support of the German Society for Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery, the department received the status of the Maximum Care Center for Endoprosthetics. The knee replacement surgery is carried out using cutting-edge navigation systems, which helps to achieve the optimal placement of the prosthesis shaft towards the acetabulum. Thus, the doctors provide excellent prosthesis functionality and reduce the risk of wear. Also, minimally invasive replacement techniques are widely used in the department, which help to ensure minimal traumatisation and quickest recovery of the patients. The department has all the options for high-precision diagnostics (CT, MRI) for the manufacture of individually designed prostheses.
Another priority focus of the department's work is the treatment of musculoskeletal cancers. The department's specialists have high competence and long experience in the diagnostics and treatment of bone and soft tissue tumors. The entire range of modern conservative and surgical treatment of tumors is available here. The treatment is provided in close cooperation with the Euregional Comprehensive Cancer Center Aachen.
The department also has unique experience in the treatment of orthopedic diseases in children. The doctors mostly have to deal with the treatment of congenital malformations, foot deformities and hip dysplasia. The department also treats congenital clubfoot using Ponseti method and corrects axial deformities of the lower limbs (using minimally invasive techniques). In addition, the spectrum is complemented by the treatment of neuro-orthopedic diseases.
The service range of the department includes:
- Joint surgery, endoprosthetics, revision interventions
- Sports orthopedics and arthroscopic surgery
- Shoulder and shoulder joint diseases
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Forearm calcification
- Shoulder dislocation
- Knee diseases
- Cruciate ligament injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Patellar luxation
- Shoulder and shoulder joint diseases
- Conservative and surgical treatment of spinal diseases
- Spinal disc herniation
- Spinal canal stenosis
- Pediatric orthopedics
- Hip dysplasia and hip dislocation
- Perthes disease
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis
- Axial deformities of the lower limbs and lower limb discrepancy
- Infantile cerebral paralysis
- Hallux valgus
- Flat feet
- Treatment of osteoporosis and other pathological changes in musculoskeletal system
- Conservative and surgical treatment of musculoskeletal cancers
- Foot surgery
- Hallux valgus
- Ankle osteochondritis dissecans
- Heel spur
- Other medical services
- 10.1989 - 11.1995 Study of Human Medicine, Rhine-Westphalian Technical Aachen University (Leerss Foundation Scholarship)
- 07.1995 First Stage of the United States Medical Licensing Examination.
- 11.1996 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 03.1996 Second Stage of the United States Medical Licensing Examination.
- 09.1997 Admission to medical practice.
- 03.1996 - 08.1997 Intern, Department of Orthopedics at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 09.1997 - 03.2000 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery II, University of Cologne.
- 09.1998 Theoretical Basis of the Specialty, Emergency Medical Care.
- 10.1999 Theoretical Basis of the Specialty, Radiation Protection: Emergency and X-ray Diagnostics of the Entire Skeleton.
- 04.2000 - 09.2001 Scholarship Program of the German Research Foundation, Harvard Medical School, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Boston, USA.
- 12.2001 - 02.2004 Assistant Physician, Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Regensburg.
- 02.2004 Board certification in Orthopedics.
- 11.2004 Additional specialization in Sports Medicine.
- 12.2004 Habilitation in Orthopedics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Regensburg.
- 01.2005 Additional specialization in Chiropractic.
- 02.2005 Board certification in Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 04.2005 Venia legendi in Orthopedics, University of Regensburg.
- 01.2005 - 12.2005 Senior Physician, Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Regensburg.
- 11.2005 Additional qualification in Rheumatology.
- 12.2005 Additional qualification in Physiotherapy.
- 01.2006 - 09.2010 Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Orthopedics at the University Hospital Regensburg.
- 03.2008 Optional training in Orthopedic Surgery.
- 05.2009 Additional qualification in Physiotherapy and Balneology.
- Since 10.2010 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics University Hospital RWTH Aachen.
Scientific Awards, Scholarships and Honors
- 07.2000 Clinical Grant, Orthopedic Research Laboratories Alumni Council, University of Pittsburgh, USA.
- 05.2006 Shoulder Fellowship, Working Group on Arthroscopy.
- 12.2006 Scientific Prize of the Working Group on Replacement Surgery.
- 02.2007 Austrian-Swiss-German Scholarship, German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery.
- 12.2007 Grant for Study Abroad, Working on Group on Joint Replacement Surgery.
- 06.2008 Albert Hoffa Prize of the North German Orthopedic Association.
- 03.2009 University Competition, Year of Science 2009, Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
- 10.2009 Themistokles Gluck Prize.
- 10.2011 Themistokles Gluck Prize.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German-speaking Working Group on Arthroscopy (AGA).
- Orthopedic Research Society (ORS).
- German Society for Orthopedics and Trauma (DGOOC).
- German Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (DAF).
- Working Group 16 (AK 16) of the German Society for Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery, Navigation Surgery.
- Working Group on Computerized Surgery of the German Society of Arthroplasty.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics.
University Hospital RWTH Aachen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.