University Hospital RWTH Aachen
Department of Vascular Surgery (278200)
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen offers all progressive surgical interventions for the treatment of vascular pathologies of varying severity. In addition to classic surgical techniques, sparing minimally invasive procedures are increasingly being used in clinical practice. In addition, specialization covers venous surgery with a particular focus on the treatment of varicose veins. The close cooperation of vascular surgeons with interventional radiologists and angiologists allows to provide each patient with comprehensive treatment of the highest quality. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Jacobs.
One of the department’s important clinical focuses is the treatment of aortic aneurysms. The most common treatment for this pathology is stent implantation (access through the inguinal region). The patients with contraindications to stent implantation are offered abdominal surgery. The department has earned the status of the European Reference Center for Aortic Pathologies.
Another important field of the department's work is the treatment of carotid stenosis, which poses a risk of stroke. Neurologists are often involved in the treatment process. Since the choice of therapy depends on many factors, it is always made individually. The department annually performs more than 175 interventions for the treatment of carotid artery stenosis, therefore the department's vascular surgeons have a perfect command of all modern techniques in this field. All interventions are performed using neuromonitoring with EEG and transcranial Doppler ultrasonography, which guarantees minimal postoperative risks.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of aortic aneurysms
- Stent implantation
- Abdominal surgery
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the intestinal arteries
- Acute intestinal hypoperfusion (acute mesenteric ischemia)
- Chronic intestinal hypoperfusion (chronic mesenteric ischemia)
- Visceral artery aneurysms
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of diabetic foot syndrome
- Endovascular catheter procedures (balloon dilatation, stent implantation)
- Open surgical interventions (thromboendarterectomy, bypass grafting of the arteries of the thigh, lower leg and foot)
- Hybrid interventions (combination of endovascular and open interventions)
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of carotid stenosis
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of peripheral arterial occlusive disease
- Conservative therapy
- Minimally invasive catheter therapy (balloon dilatation, stent implantation)
- Bypass grafting
- Combined interventions
- Dialysis access formation
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of venous diseases
- Varicose veins
- Deep vein thrombosis
- May-Thurner syndrome
- "Nutcracker syndrome"
- Pelvic congestion syndrome
- Postthrombotic syndrome
- Leg ulcers
- Conservative therapy (compression therapy, lifestyle modification, for example, weight loss)
- Minimally invasive catheter interventions (vein recanalization, balloon dilatation, stent implantation, ultrasound-guided local thrombolysis)
- Laser ablation for varicose veins
- Foam sclerotherapy
- Open surgical intervention
- Other surgical options
Education and Professional Career
- Since 2005 Chief Physician and Professor of the Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen, Germany.
- Since 2000 Chief Physician and Professor of the Department of Surgery, Maastricht University Medical Center, NL.
- Since 2003 Director of Cardiovascular Center, Maastricht University Medical Center, NL.
- 2003 - 2004 Head of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Maastricht University Medical Center, NL.
- Since 1995 Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- 1995 - 2000 Professor of Vascular Surgery, University of Amsterdam, NL.
- 1993 - 2000 Chief Physician of the Department of Vascular Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, NL.
- 1991 - 1993 Head of the Division of Clinical Microcirculation, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, NL.
- 1990 - 1994 Established Investigator, Dutch Heart Foundation.
- 1990 Staff Member, Department of Surgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, NL.
- 1989 - 1990 Clinical Fellowship, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Texas Heart Institute, Houston, Texas, USA.
- 1984 - 1989 Resident, Department of Surgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, NL.
- 1982 - 1984 Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Surgery and Physiology, Academic Hospital Maastricht, NL.
- 1982 Doctoral Degree.
- 1976 Study of Human Medicine, University of Limburg, Maastricht, NL.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Netherlands Society of Surgery.
- Netherlands Society of Vascular Surgery.
- Society for Vascular Surgery.
- European Society for Vascular Surgery.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Denton Cooley Cardiovascular Surgical Society.
- Société de Chirurgie Vasculaire de Langue Française.
Department of Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital RWTH Aachen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.