Multimodality treatment of ovarian cancer with cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC (program ID: 639485)
Samsung Medical Center Seoul
Bae Duk SooSpecialized in: gynecology, obstetrics
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- TSH-basal, fT3, fT4
- tumor markers
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators of blood coagulation
- abdominal ultrasound scan
- CT scan/MRI or PET-CT of abdomen
- preoperative care
- cytoreductive surgery to remove visible tumors
inside the abdomen and HIPEC
- histological and immunohistochemical
examination of removed tissues
- symptomatic treatment
- cost of essential medicines
- nursing services
- stay in the hospital with a full board
- accommodation in a 2-bedroom ward
- elaboration of further recommendations
How program is carried out
During the first visit, the physician will conduct a clinical examination and go through the results of the available diagnostic tests. After that, you will undergo the necessary additional examination, such as the assessment of liver and kidney function, ultrasound scan and tomography of the abdominal organs. Based on the results of the examination, the physician will choose the surgical technique and the type of anesthesia. After that, preparation according to the preoperative standard will start.
Cytoreductive surgery begins with general anesthesia. The intervention is performed as open surgery, i.e. through the incision in the anterior abdominal wall, so that the surgeon can carefully examine the peritoneum and the surface of the abdominal organs. The surgeon removes affected by the malignant process ovaries, areas of the peritoneum and metastases in other internal organs. This stage of the operation can take several hours, since the overall effectiveness of the treatment depends on the completeness of the malignant tissues removal.
At the next stage of the operation, the surgeon inserts several catheters into the abdominal cavity. Through the catheters, a heated solution of a chemotherapy drug is pumped inside. The special system maintains the required temperature (42-43 degrees Celsius), pressure and circulation rate of the medicinal solution. The solution mechanically flushes out blood clots and remnants of malignant tissues, and a heated chemotherapy drug destroys micrometastases in internal organs and lymph nodes (micrometastases can’t be detected by the naked eye).
After 1-1.5 hours, the chemotherapy drug is removed from the abdominal cavity and the abdominal cavity is washed with saline. After that, the surgeon removes the catheters and sutures the incision of the anterior abdominal wall.
After the completion of the operation, you will be transferred to the ward of the intensive care unit, under the round-the-clock supervision of doctors and nurses. In 1-3 days after the operation, your drains will be removed and you will be transferred to a regular ward for further recovery. The whole treatment takes 10-12 days on average.
Finally, the attending physician will evaluate the results of control examinations, schedule the date of discharge from the hospital and give you detailed recommendations for further follow-up and treatment.
- Medical records
- MRI/CT scan (not older than 3 months)
- Biopsy results (if available)
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Samsung Medical Center offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The medical team of the department makes every effort to provide patients with effective treatment of both benign and malignant diseases of the female genital organs. The department also specializes in providing high-quality obstetric services. There is a unique experience in managing high-risk pregnancies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Bae Duk Soo.
The department annually performs 3,600 surgical interventions (1,830 operations to treat benign gynecological diseases and 1,770 operations to treat female genital cancer). The big advantage of the department is that more than 50% of interventions to treat gynecological cancer are performed with the help of laparoscopic techniques. In addition, the department performs many minimally invasive and robot-assisted interventions to treat benign and malignant diseases in women.
The department operates the Research Center for Molecular Targeted Therapy that conducts clinical trials to test various new domestic and foreign medicines, such as bevacizumab, sorafenib, pazopanib, morab and AMG386 used for the treatment of ovarian cancer, cervical cancer and endometrial cancer. Certainly, the patients of the department have the opportunity to take part in these trials.
In the field of obstetrics, there is offered the full range of diagnostic services at all stages of pregnancy, safe delivery and quality postpartum care. The obstetricians have a huge clinical experience and all the necessary knowledge to cope with urgent conditions, for example, early delivery, bleeding, other complications. Particular attention is paid to women with high-risk pregnancies. In addition, the department is equipped with a special intensive care unit to identify and eliminate health problems in the baby immediately after birth.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of benign gynecological diseases
- Uterine fibroid
- Uterine adenoma
- Benign ovarian neoplasms
- Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia
- Uterine prolapse
- Other diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of malignant gynecological diseases
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Uterine sarcoma
- Other diseases
- Obstetric services (diagnostic tests at all stages of pregnancy, delivery, postpartum care)
- Managing of high-risk pregnancy
- Emergency care in case of complications during childbirth
- Other medical services
- Study of Medicine at the
- Seoul National University.
- Residency at the Seoul National University Hospital.
- Internship at the Seoul National University Hospital.
- Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center, Durham, NC, USA.
Membership in the Academic Societies
- Active Member of IGCS.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Korean Society of Gynecologic Oncology and Colposcopy.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Korean Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Vice Chairman of the Korean Society of Gynecologic Endoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery.
- Member of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopy.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Samsung Medical Center
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Multimodality treatment of ovarian cancer with cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC
- Hospital: Samsung Medical Center Seoul
- access_time Duration:
There are 87 ovarian cancer treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics