Sana Hospital Duisburg
Department of Neurosurgery (35)
Specialized in: neurosurgery
The Department of Neurosurgery at the Sana Hospital Duisburg offers surgical treatment of neurological, neuropediatric and orbital diseases. With 68 beds, the department ranks among the largest German Neurosurgy Centers and has a long experience in all fields of microsurgery and neuroendoscopy. The team of the department treats about 3,000 inpatients and 7,000 outpatients every year. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Martin Scholz.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following diseases: cerebral hemorrhages, brain tumors, orbital tumors, tumors and malformations in children, herniated disks, spinal stenosis, spinal cord tumors. There are specialized consultations, in particular, on oncology and pediatric neurosurgery, as well as on spine surgery and vascular diseases. Other priorities include neuromodulation for severe pain syndromes and symptoms. In cooperation with the teams of the Departments of Neurology, Neuroradiology, Neuropediatrics, Radiation Therapy and Oncology, the department forms the interregional Neuro Center. The Neuro Center at the Sana Hospital Duisburg is internationally recognized and provides its medical services to foreign patients as well.
The department is especially focused on pediatric neurosurgery. The treatment of children is provided in collaboration with pediatricians, neuropediatricians, neuroradiologists and neurosurgeons. In addition to the treatment of brain tumors, the department also treats craniosynostosis, pediatric pathologies and hydrocephalus. The neurosurgical interventions are performed with the use of ultrasound, Doppler ultrasound, navigation devices, a microscope and endoscopic equipment. The interdisciplinary team of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit treats children with brain injuries. The department has optimal capabilities for imaging diagnosis by means of US, MRI, CT, angiography, X-ray, as well as for electrophysiological diagnosis and EEG. A distinctive feature of the department is its opportunity to treat neurovascular diseases in childhood, including angiomas and cavernomas.
To ensure a stable quality of medical care, the Department of Neurosurgery uses infrastructure of the whole Sana Hospital Duisburg and maintains tight collaboration with other specialized departments. The mission and key objective of all employees of the department is to provide the best patient care.
The service range of the department includes:
- Microsurgical treatment of complex brain and spinal cord tumors in adults and children
- Neoplastic and other diseases of the skull base, including acoustic neuromas
- Treatment of cerebral vascular malformations (aneurysms, angiomas, cavernomas)
- Treatment of spinal cord vascular malformations
- Treatment of brain hemorrhages
- Treatment of all forms of hydrocephalus, including endoscopic therapy
- Surgical treatment of strokes (craniectomy)
- The full range of pediatric neurosurgery, including open and endoscopic treatment of complex skull deformities
- Treatment of pituitary tumors (microsurgery and endoscopy)
- Stereotaxy and brain biopsy
- Neurostimulation / neuromodulation in complex pain syndromes and symptoms
Sana Hospital Duisburg
Department of Neurosurgery
- Duisburg, Germany