Specialized Clinic Hornheide
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology (579879)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric dermatology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology at the Specialized Clinic Hornheide offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases. The priority of the department’s specialization is melanoma therapy. More than 1,000 patients with melanoma are treated here annually. The department is one of the largest and leading medical institutions for melanoma treatment in Europe. The department has at its disposal progressive diagnostic methods that allow to identify skin pathology at an early stage, as well as the most effective treatments. In addition to the therapeutic result, due attention is paid to the aesthetic aspect, which contributes to the best possible patient satisfaction and the absence of possible complexes associated with the consequences of treatment. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Hans-Joachim Schulze.
For more than 75 years, the main focus of the department is the treatment of malignant skin tumors, in particular melanoma. The department is recognized as a specialized medical institution in this field by the German Cancer Society, the Association of Dermatological Oncologists and the German Society of Dermatology. From the first day of the department's work, the dermatologists, specialists in the field of dermatosurgery, plastic surgeons, maxillofacial surgeons and oncologists, anesthesiologists, dermatohistopathologists and psycho-oncologists work here hand in hand. Thus, each patient is provided with a comprehensive and interdisciplinary treatment with due consideration of the smallest details. The doctors’ specialization covers not only the treatment of melanoma, but also the therapy of other malignant skin tumors, for example, basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma. The department implements a skin cancer screening program that helps to early identify pathology and ensure timely treatment. The histological diagnostics of skin cancer and other skin diseases is carried out in the department’s in-house Dermatologic Laboratory. The scope of tasks of the department’s doctors also includes the enzymatic cytological and immunohistological studies, for example, for the diagnostics of sentinel lymph nodes, which plays a crucial role in the selection of the type of therapy (chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, "antitumor vaccination", treatment with monoclonal antibodies).
Another focus of the department is the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the veins (varicose veins, chronic venous insufficiency accompanied by trophic disorders) and lymphatic vessels, as well as blood flow disorders in arteries with symptomatic manifestations on the skin. The therapeutic options range from conservative treatments, the imposition of special dressings and to surgical treatment. The accurate diagnostics is based on the use of the very latest painless ultrasound methods. Varicose veins may be treated using both classical and innovative microwave sclerotherapy. The cutting-edge laser technologies serve for the removal of spider veins.
The specialists of the department also have excellent qualifications in the treatment of severe skin diseases, for example, chronic inflammation and disorders of wound healing, chronic skin diseases (psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, acne, systemic scleroderma and lupus erythematosus), allergic reactions. Particular importance is attached to the preventive measures and patient counseling.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant skin diseases (special focus on melanoma therapy)
- Surgical dermatology
- Dermatologic laser medicine
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the venous system (varicose veins, chronic venous insufficiency accompanied by trophic disorders, spider veins)
- Diagnostics and treatment of general dermatologic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases in children and in patients with immunodeficiency states
- Aesthetic and cosmetic dermatology
- Special therapeutic options
- Diseases of the skin and mucous membranes (especially in childhood, during pregnancy and in old age)
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant and benign skin neoplasms (nevi, skin cancer, lymphomas)
- Outpatient and inpatient dermatologic surgery
- X-ray, photodynamic therapy, cryotherapy
- Surgical treatment of varicose veins
- Treatment of chronic wounds
- Phototherapy (isodose irradiation with narrow-band UVB, UVA plus UVB or UVA1 with cold light) for the treatment of severe forms of psoriasis, neurodermatitis, etc.)
- Laser therapy of vascular neoplasms, pigmentation disorders, keloid scars, laser removal of tattoos and hair
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Career
- 1975 Study of Human Medicine, University of Cologne (MAGS Fellow, North Rhine-Westphalia).
- 1982 Admission to medical practice (since 1981, the publication of relevant publications).
- 1982 Research Fellow, Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Cologne.
- 1984 Doctoral dissertation defense, University of Cologne (first experience of participation in lectures).
- 1985 and 1987 Research Internship, Stanford University, USA.
- 1986 Board certification in Dermatology and Venereology.
- 1986 Advanced training in Allergology, Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 1987 Appointment as an Assistant Teacher (C1) of G.K. Steigleder, Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 1990 Habilitation and Venia legendi in Dermatology and Venereology, Cologne.
- 1991 Appointment as a Senior Assistant (C2) of T. Krieg, Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 1993 Appointment as an Acting Senior Physician, Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 1986 - 1997 Senior Physician in the Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 1997 Leading Physician in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology at the Specialized Clinic Hornheide, Muenster.
- 2007 Head of the Center for Skin Tumors Hornheide-Muenster.
- 2014 Head of the Cancer Center "Muenster Alliance against Cancer" (MAgKs).
Membership in the Professional Societies and Positions
- Head of the Cancer Center "Muenster Alliance against Cancer" (MAgKs) within the framework of the Specialized Clinic Hornheide, Clemens Clinic and Raphael Clinic in Muenster.
- Chairman of the Association of Chief Physicians in Dermatologists of non-university Dermatological Clinics in Germany.
- Chairman of the Commission for Quality Assurance of Dermatologic Histology of the German Society of Dermatology (DDG) and the Professional Association of German Dermatologists (BVDD).
- Specialized Auditor and Chairman of the German Cancer Society (DKG) Committee for the Management of Skin Tumor Centers.
- Member of the Expert Committee on Medical Responsibility of the Medical Association of the State of Westphalia-Lippe.
- Member of the Ethics Committee of the Medical Association of the State of Westphalia-Lippe and the University of Muenster.
- Chairman of the Commission on Dermatohistopathology of the Association of Physicians of the Public Health Insurance Fund of the State of Westphalia-Lippe.
- Visiting Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Fachklinik Hornheide
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology.
Specialized Clinic Hornheide:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.