Specialized Pulmonary Clinic Asklepios Munich-Gauting
Department of Thoracic Surgery (588477)
Specialized in: thoracic surgery
About the department
The Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Specialized Pulmonary Clinic Asklepios Munich-Gauting offers the full range of modern surgical treatment of thoracic diseases. The department is one of the largest German medical facilities of this kind, and it is also the leading Lung Cancer Center. The patients are treated in two high-tech operating rooms. The clinical practice involves the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques, which contribute to sparing treatment and improve the patients' quality of life. The main value of each department's employee is the health and well-being of any patient. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Rudolf Hatz.
The department's surgeons often have to deal with the treatment of pulmonary oncopathology. In this case, the basis of the therapy is an interdisciplinary approach to each clinical case. The thoracic surgeons, oncologists, pulmonologists and radiation therapists take part in weekly tumor boards. Cooperatively, they develop the optimal treatment tactics.
The department performs more than 1,000 surgical interventions on the thoracic organs every year. Modern techniques of imaging-guided thoracoscopic surgery are widely practiced here.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung tumors
- Computed tomography
- CT-guided puncture
- CT scan of the upper abdomen and cranial CT scan, skeletal scintigraphy and PET for the detection of metastases
- Surgical treatment, including video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with appropriate clinical indications
- Radiation therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma
- Hyperthermic intrathoracic chemotherapy perfusion (HITHOC)
- Extrapleural pleuropneumonectomy
- Diagnostics and treatment of mediastinal tumors
- Germ-cell tumors
- Lymphomas, metastases of other tumors, benign and inflammatory diseases of the lymphoid tissue (sarcoidosis, tuberculosis)
- Bronchial or pericardial cysts
- Radiation therapy
- Combined chemoradiation therapy (especially in malignant lymphoma)
- Diagnostics and treatment of spontaneous pneumothorax
- Thoracic drainage
- Aspiration therapy to restore lung volume
- Surgical treatment
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural empyema
- CT-guided effusion puncture
- Thoracic cavity washing (at the initial stages of pathology)
- Drainage installation
- Thoracoscopic pus removal
- Combination of surgery with drainage
- Minimally invasive (videotorascopic) surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural effusion
- Diagnostics and removal of tumors in the lungs, mediastinal organs and pleura
- Removal of lung lobe in cancer
- Pneumothorax treatment
- Pleural empyema treatment
- Lung volume reduction
- Hyperhidrosis treatment
- Correction of pectus excavatum
- Pleurectomy with hyperthermic intrathoracic chemotherapy (HITHOC) for the treatment of malignant pleural tumors
- Tracheal surgery
- Lung metastasis surgery
- Lung volume reduction in pulmonary emphysema
- Other medical services
- 1985 Study of Human Medicine.
- 1983 Summer Semester at the Faculty of Medicine at Stanford University, USA.
- 1986 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Campus Grosshadern.
- 1987 Research Fellow at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School.
- 1988 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery.
- 1998 Venia Legendi, PD and Senior Physician.
- 1998 Habilitation.
- 2001 Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
- 2001 Specialization in Thoracic and Abdominal Surgery.
- 2002 Qualification Certificate: Quality Management, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 2003 Head of the Section of Thoracic Surgery with responsibility for advanced training, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 2004 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Campus Grosshadern.
- 2005 Professor at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 2006 Head of the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Specialized Pulmonary Clinic Asklepios Munich-Gauting.
- 2007 Responsible for advanced training and Medical Consultant in Thoracic Surgery, Bavarian State Medical Association.
- 2008 Full University Professor (W2) for Thoracic Surgery.
Membership in Professional Medical Societies
- 2015 Member of the American Surgical Association as Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
- Association of Bavarian Surgeons.
- Professional Association of German Surgeons.
- Surgical Working Group on Endoscopy of the German Society of Surgery.
- Surgical Working Group on the Treatment of Wounds of the German Society of Surgery.
- German Society of Surgery.
- German Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- German Society for Wound Healing, Secretary, and since 1996 till 1998 – Member of the Advisory Council.
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- Head of the Munich Lung Transplant Group.
- Project Group "Gastrointestinal infections" of the German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology.
- Project Member of the Munich Cancer Center.
Scientific Awards and Honors
- 1993 Prize of the European Research Group on Gastroduodenal Pathologies, Brussels, Belgium.
- 1994 Prize of the European Research Group on Gastroduodenal Pathologies, Barcelona, Spain.
- 1998 and 2000 Prize of the European Research Group on Immunology and Pathogenesis in Mucosal Infectious Lesions, Helsingør, Denmark.
- 2001 Video Award for Minimally Invasive Surgery of the German Society of Surgery, Munich.
- 2002 Rudolf Schindler Award, Society for Endoscopy and Imaging, Munich.
- 2007 Georg Heberer Prize.
- 2007 Walter Schulz Prize.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Asklepios Fachkliniken München-Gauting
Department of Thoracic Surgery.
Specialized Pulmonary Clinic Asklepios Munich-Gauting:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.