St. Antonius Hospital Eschweiler
Department of Orthopedic, Cardiac and Neurological Rehabilitation (134)
Specialized in: orthopedic, cardiac and neurological rehabilitation
About the Department of Orthopedic, Cardiac and Neurological Rehabilitation at St. Antonius Hospital Eschweiler
The Department of Orthopedic, Cardiac and Neurological Rehabilitation at the St. Antonius Hospital Eschweiler offers the full range of services in the fields of its competence. The department's medical team specializes in outpatient rehabilitation for patients who have suffered from diseases of the musculoskeletal system, cardiovascular and nervous systems. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Markus Schlaechter.
The patients' health is in the good hands of a multidisciplinary team of physicians, consisting of physiotherapists, specialists in therapeutic exercises, massage therapists, occupational therapists, nutritionists and other experts. The department has an excellent modern infrastructure, including the advanced exercise equipment for the restoration of fine and gross motor skills, rehabilitation swimming pools, medical bathtubs, treatment rooms for massage, respiratory therapy, etc. The department has a pleasant and friendly atmosphere, while the doctors are always ready for personal communication with the patients and their loved ones. Each patient benefits from an individually developed optimal rehabilitation plan, based on the rehabilitation goals and the patient's needs.
The team of rehabilitation specialists have in their arsenal many effective methods that allow restoring mobility after an injury or illness, providing the patient with maximum independence in everyday life and a high quality of life. The specialists actively use therapeutic exercises, including therapeutic exercises in the swimming pool, Bobath therapy, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, craniosacral therapy, manual therapy, training therapy, massage, lymphatic drainage, cryotherapy, heat therapy, electrotherapy and other modern methods. Prior to prescribing certain rehabilitation measures, the doctors assess the patient's condition and select the optimal intensity of training for him, which will be gradually increased during the therapeutic process. Whenever required, the patients can receive qualified psychological care. In addition, the rehabilitation doctors welcome the participation of the patient's family and friends in the therapeutic process.
Since movement disorders often lead to a sedentary lifestyle, the patients are prone to excessive weight gain. Therefore, the nutritionists working in the department give recommendations on proper nutrition. In addition, the department has a special training kitchen for practical training in cooking. The department also has a special cozy relaxation area where patients can communicate with each other or with their visitors.
The department specializes in the rehabilitation of patients who have suffered from the following diseases:
- Pathological conditions after joint replacement surgery of the hip, knee, shoulder and other joints
- Pathological conditions after ligament replacement surgery (for example, knee cruciate ligament replacement surgery)
- Pathological conditions after surgical interventions for injuries and diseases of the bones, muscles, tendons, etc.
- Pathological conditions after surgical interventions for injuries and pathologies of the spine
- Pathological conditions after acute diseases of the cardiovascular system (for example, after myocardial infarction)
- Pathological conditions after acute neurological disorders (for example, stroke)
- Pathological conditions after acute lung diseases
- Pathological conditions after acute gynecologic and urologic diseases (for example, gynecological cancers)
- Other diseases and pathological conditions
The department's range of therapeutic services includes:
- Bobath therapy
- Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation
- Craniosacral therapy
- Kinesio taping
- Manual therapy
- Therapeutic exercises (individually and in groups)
- Therapeutic exercises in the swimming pool (individually and in groups)
- Special course of exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles
- Special physiotherapy course for patients with urinary and fecal incontinence
- Training therapy
- Special combined course of physiotherapy, therapeutic exercises and training therapy
- Massage, including connective tissue massage and hydromassage
- Lymphatic drainage, including complex antiedema therapy
- Heat therapy, including hot mud wraps
- Ultrasound therapy
- Medical baths
- Kneipp therapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Other rehabilitation procedures
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Markus Schlaechter
- 1999 - 2007 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, RWTH Aachen University.
- 1998 - 1999 Professional training in physiotherapy, Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, the Netherlands.
- Since July 2019 Chief Physician of the Department of Orthopedic, Cardiac and Neurological Rehabilitation at the St. Antonius Hospital Eschweiler.
- Since April 2010 Senior Physician in the Department of Traumatology and Orthopedic Surgery at the St. Antonius Hospital Eschweiler.
- August 2007 - March 2010 Assistant Physician, St. Mary's Hospital Dueren.
Photo of the doctor: (c) St.-Antonius-Hospital
Department of Orthopedic, Cardiac and Neurological Rehabilitation.
St. Antonius Hospital Eschweiler:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.