St. Lukas Clinic Solingen
Department of Neurology (303042)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the St. Lukas Clinic Solingen offers the full range of medical services for patients with diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, as well as neuromuscular diseases. One of the key focuses of clinical practice is stroke treatment. This pathology is treated within the high-tech Stroke Unit, the quality of which is marked by prestigious certificates. A competent team of doctors, who have extensive clinical experience, takes care of the patients' health. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Marcel Dihné.
Along with the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, motor disorders and dementia, the department also treats muscle diseases (myopathies), synapses and diseases of the peripheral nerves, as well as syndromes with the affection of the anterior horns of the spinal cord. For this purpose, the department has in its arsenal well-equipped Electrophysiological Laboratory, which serves to assess evoked potentials, neurography and myography. The special genetic testing, muscle and nerve ending biopsy are carried out in cooperation with specialists from related fields.
The experts in the field of epileptology are responsible for the treatment of neurological seizures. These include various types of epilepsy, syncopes and other diseases with impaired consciousness. The department carries out differential diagnostics of epileptic seizures and seizures of a different genesis, as well as clarification of the causes of epileptic seizures. The EEG Laboratory has at its disposal a mobile digital EEG assessment system, as well as a mobile device for continuous EEG monitoring and several computerized systems.
A key focus of the department’s work is also the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system. Multiple sclerosis is the most common chronic inflammatory disease of the central nervous system. To confirm the diagnosis, the doctors apply clinical neurological examinations, computed tomography, neurophysiological tests and cerebrospinal fluid analysis. Inpatient therapy is based on the use of high-dose pulse therapy with cortisone, symptomatic treatment (for example, treatment of spasticity, fatigue), as well as physiotherapy and occupational therapy. The treatment on an outpatient basis is also possible.
The treatment of stroke is a special focus for the department's experts. For this purpose, the department has a high-tech Stroke Unit awarded by the LGA Intercert certificate for outstanding quality of medical care. The doctors of the Stroke Unit annually treat more than 1,500 patients with stroke of varying severity. For the diagnostics of stroke and assessment of the amount of hemorrhage in the brain, the doctors use such modern systems as intracranial and extracranial duplex ultrasound, dopplerography, laboratory tests, electrophysiological examinations, CT, MRI, including CT and MR angiography. After staying in the Stroke Unit, the patient is moved to a regular patient room where the doctors provide necessary therapeutic measures and rehabilitation procedures.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke
- Diagnostics and treatment of Parkinson's disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of sciatic nerve diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant brain tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurological diseases accompanied by dizziness and eye movement disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of various types of dementia
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases of the neurological spectrum
- Since June 2013, Chief Physician of the Department of Neurology at the St. Lukas Clinic Solingen, Germany.
- May 2011 - May 2013 Medical Advisor in Neurology, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Tuebingen, Germany.
- July 2004 - April 2011 Resident Physician, Consultant and Senior Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Duesseldorf, Germany.
- November 2001 - June 2004 Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Molecular Neurobiology, University of Hamburg, Germany.
Photo of the doctor: (c) St. Lukas Klinik GmbH
Department of Neurology.
St. Lukas Clinic Solingen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.