St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg
Department of General, Abdominal and Vascular Surgery (333745)
Specialized in: general, abdominal and vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of General, Abdominal and Vascular Surgery at the St. Vincentius Hospital-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg offers the entire range of relevant services at the highest level. Along with intestinal and thyroid surgeries, the most important areas of the department are minimally invasive (laparoscopic) and oncological surgery. Together with the gastroenterological clinic, the department forms one of the leading certified centers for the treatment of colon cancer, recommended by the German Cancer Society. it has three new modern operating rooms, which have been used since 2011. The head of the department is Prof. Dr. Oliver Drognitz.
A key focus of the department is minimally invasive methods. In addition to laparoscopic operations for cholelithiasis, acute appendicitis, inguinal hernia, heartburn, laparoscopic methods are also widely used in the treatment of diseases of the large and small intestine, liver and adrenal diseases.
In the treatment of malignant tumors, specialists of the department work in close contact with the specialized Departments of Oncology, Radiotherapy, Radiology and Nuclear Medicine. During weekly scientific oncologic consultations, conducted with the participation of all clinics, doctors develop a diagnostic and treatment concept based on modern scientific knowledge and achievements for each individual patient.
The spectrum of Subdivision of Vascular Surgery covers full outpatient and inpatient treatment of arterial and lymphatic vessels and veins. In close cooperation with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, the department uses minimally invasive methods for treatment of occlusive diseases of arteries of the abdominal cavity, pelvis and extremities. It also offers a wide range of especially sparing endovascular operative methods (implantation of stents) in abdominal, pelvic and lower limb vessels. Also there is cooperation with the Departments of Cardiology and Endocrinology (coronary artery disease, diabetic foot) for the treatment of patients of this profile.
Inpatient range of services:
- Inpatient range of services:
- General diseases
- Peritonectomy and HIPEC-therapy with peritoneal cancer
- Surgical treatment of inguinal hernia
- Surgery of the ventral, umbilical and other abdominal hernias
- Surgery of the gallbladder
- Surgery for heartburn (gastroesophageal reflux)
- Surgery of acute inflammation of the cecum
- Thyroid Surgery
- Parathyroid Surgery
- Surgery of the adrenal glands
- Surgery for inflammatory processes of the colon (diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon)
- Surgery for malignant diseases of the colon
- Surgery for malignant diseases of the rectum (rectum)
- Surgery for diseases of the small intestine
- Surgery of the liver and biliary tract
- Surgery of the pancreas
- Surgery of the stomach
- Surgery of the esophagus
- Surgery for chronic inflammatory bowel diseases
- Surgery for diseases of the anus and rectum (proctology)
- Surgical treatment of incontinence
- Endoluminal endoscopic surgery
- Special areas:
- Minimally invasive surgery (including minimally invasive liver surgery)
- Endocrine Surgery
- Oncological surgery of the gastrointestinal tract
- Vascular Surgery
- 1990 - 1997 Studying medicine at the Medical University of Lübeck.
American State Examination
- 09/1995 Examination for obtaining a US medical license (1st stage).
- 08/1996 Examination for obtaining a US medical license (2nd stage).
- 08/1997 English Exam, Education Commission for Alumni of Foreign Medical Institutes (ECFMG).
- 07/1997 - 12/1998 Internship at the University Hospital Rostock, Department of General, Vascular, Thoracic and Transplant Surgery (Head: Professor, Honorary Doctor UT Hopt).
- 01/1999 - 08/2001 Researcher at the University Clinic Rostock, Department of General, Vascular, Thoracic and Transplant Surgery (Head: Professor, Honorary Doctor UT Hopt).
- 09/2001 - 04/2005 Researcher at the University Hospital Freiburg, Department of General and Abdominal Surgery (Head: Professor, Honorary Doctor UT Hopt).
- 04/2005 Appointment to the post of head physician.
- 11/2008 Appointment to the post of head of the Department of Liver Surgery.
- 03/2009 Appointment as a financial officer of the department.
- From 03/2009 Head of the Interdisciplinary Center for Liver Surgery, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 08/2009 Appointment to the position of the 1st senior doctor.
- From 05/2010 Head of interdisciplinary surgical oncological consultation "Hepatocellular carcinoma", University Hospital Freiburg.
- 10/2011 Appointment to the post of head physician.
- 10/2011 Head of the certified interdisciplinary Center for Intestinal Surgery, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 04/2013 Chief physician of the Department of General, Abdominal and Vascular Surgery, St. Vincentius Clinic, Karlsruhe.
- 09/2003 The Surgeon (the Medical Chamber of Southern Baden).
- 04/2009 Abdominal surgeon (Medical Chamber of Southern Baden).
- 04/2009 Additional specialization in the field of intensive medicine (Medical Chamber of Southern Baden).
Defense of doctoral thesis
- 09/1998 Defense of doctoral thesis at the Medical University of Lübeck, Department of Surgery. Subject: "Characterization of released vancomycin and teicoplanin from the gel-sponge glycerine foam resorbed by the sponge: Experimental studies of possible local therapy with glycopeptide antibiotics."
Obtaining of a pre-qualification
- A Senior Lecturer in Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg. Theme: "Pathophysiology of ischemia / reperfusion after pancreatic transplantation with a special focus on microcirculation, apoptosis and gene expression".
- 04/2010 Honorary title of a freelance professor, Surgery, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg
Photo of the doctor: (c) ViDia Kliniken Karlsruhe
Department of General, Abdominal and Vascular Surgery.
St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.