Surgical treatment esophageal cancer with resection and plasty from small intestine tissues (program ID: 487172)
Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Joseph KlausnerSpecialized in: general surgery
Department of General Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- TSH-basal, fT3, fT4
- tumor markers
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- abdominal ultrasound
- gastroscopy with biopsy
- CT/MRI abdomen
- analysis on the hp (helicobacter pylori)
- preoperative care
- removal of the tumor with plastic of the esophagus
- histologically and immunohistochemically
examination of the remote tissues
- blood transfusions (if needed)
consultation on nutrition
1-day intensive care unit stay
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
You may also book
About the department
The Department of General Surgery at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center offers the full range of surgical treatment for patients. It performs both planned and emergency surgical interventions. The department is the leading medical facility in Israel, whose surgeons regularly demonstrate outstanding treatment results. The surgical interventions are performed by experienced doctors who were trained in the most famous American Medical Centers. The department's specialists prefer sparing minimally invasive interventions, which significantly shorten the hospitalization period and minimize the risks of complications. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Joseph Klausner.
The department specializes in pancreatic, liver and biliary tract surgery, surgical treatment of soft tissue sarcoma and stomach cancer, cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, surgical treatment of obesity, esophagectomy, advanced laparoscopic surgery and other types of surgical procedures.
The specialists also provide postoperative intensive care, which is an integral part of the patient's recovery. The comprehensive approach, which combines surgical intervention and postoperative care, ensures the best treatment results, which are not inferior to the results of the renowned Surgical Centers in Europe and the United States. The department pays particular attention to an individual approach to the patient and his family, thanks to which the patient and the doctor can establish a confidential contact, which contributes to rapid recovery.
The department's medical team is not only successfully engaged in clinical practice, but also makes a significant contribution to the development of modern surgery. It carries out fruitful research activities. The special research fields include the development and progression of cancer, as well as its metastasis, angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis (the formation of blood and lymph vessels), epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMF), diagnostics and treatment of cancer. The department's doctors also have academic ranks, train medical students, as well as train specialists in various disciplines of general surgery.
The department's range of surgical services includes:
- Hernia repair (in adults)
- Diagnostics and treatment of obesity
- Diagnostic laparoscopy
- Whipple procedure, partial/distal pancreatectomy
- Esophageal resection
- Stomach resection (total/distal/proximal)
- Liver resection
- Surgical treatment of hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic colectomy
- Laparoscopic gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic treatment of hiatal hernia
- Laparoscopic liver resection
- Laparoscopic nephrectomy followed by transplantation
- Laparoscopic resection of the small intestine
- Rectal resection
- Surgical treatment of retroperitoneal sarcoma
- Cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy
- Isolated limb perfusion
- Treatment of primary and metastatic melanoma
- Other medical services
- 1968 ‑ 1975 Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1976 Doctoral thesis defense, Tel Aviv University. Subject: "The modern surgical approach to malignant melanoma".
- 1979 - 1980 Postgraduate course at the Medical School of the Tel Aviv University.
- 1987 - 1988 Postgraduate course on Controversies in Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 1975 Intern at the New York University, Bellview Hospital, General Surgery.
- 1975 - 1976 Rotating internship, Tel Aviv Medical Center.
- 1977 - 1982 Resident in the Department of General Surgery, Hadassah Hospital, Tel Aviv.
- 1983 Certification of the Israel Board of Surgery (magna cum laude).
- 1983 - 1986 Fulltime Attending Surgeon, Department of Surgery, Hadassah Hospital, Tel Aviv.
- 1988 - 1989 Senior Surgeon, Department of Surgery, Hadassah Hospital, Tel Aviv.
- 1989 Deputy Director, Department of Surgery, Hadassah Hospital, Tel Aviv.
- 1991 - 1992 Head of the Department of Surgery, Hadassah Hospital, Tel Aviv.
- 1989 Head of the Department of Surgery "B", Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center.
- 1994 Head of the Department of Surgery "B" and "C", Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center.
- 1996 Chief Physician of the Department of Surgery, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center.
- 1980 - 1985 In charge of "Resuscitation Program" for military physicians, Military Medical School, Israel Defense Forces. Teaching undergraduates, School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1982 Chief Instructor in Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine, Tel Aviv Medical Center.
- 1984 In charge of Teaching Surgery at Tel Aviv School of Nursing.
- 1984 Teaching postgraduates in General Surgery.
- 1986 - 1988 Research Fellow, Harvard Medical School and Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- 1989 "Trauma Forum", Israel Defense Forces.
- 1989 Committee, Medical Council of the Tel Aviv Medical Center.
- 1989 Helsinki Committee, Medical Council of the Tel Aviv Medical Center.
- 1989 In charge of "Emergency Medicine" training, Sackler Faculty of Medicine.
- 1989 Surgical Advisor, Division of Health, Tel Aviv Municipality.
- 1989 Examiner, National Board of Surgery.
- 1990 In charge of "Morbidity and Mortality" conferences (Surgery), Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center.
- 1990 Committee on Basic Research, Israel Medical Council.
- 1990 National Board of Examinations, Israel Medical Council.
- 1990 - 1994 Committee on Advanced Studies and Conferences Abroad, Israel Cancer Association.
- 1991 In charge of Advanced Trauma Management, School of Continuing Education, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1992 Steering Committee for Board Certification, National Scientific Council.
- 1993 Teaching Committee, School of Continuing Education, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1993 Steering Committee, Israel Association of Disaster Medicine.
- 1993 Member of the National Ministerial Committee for Oncology, Ministry of Health.
- 1994 Member of the National Ministerial Committee for Surgery, Ministry of Health.
- 1994 Education Committee, Israel Surgical Society.
- 1994 - 1998 Chairman, Committee on Advanced Studies and Conferences Abroad, Israel Cancer Association.
- 1995 Chairman, Board of Surgery, Scientific Council of the Israel Medical Association.
- 1996 Committee for Reorganization of Surgical Clerkship, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1996 Committee for Reorganization, Scientific Council of the Israel Medical Association.
- 1996 Committee of the Israel Science Foundation.
- 1997 Best Teacher, Sackler School of Medicine.
- 1998 - 2004 Chairman, Israel Society for Surgical Oncology.
- 1998 Committee for Medical Education Planning, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1998 Committee for Reorganization of Pre-Clinical Teaching, Tel Aviv University.
- 2000 - 2005 Chairman, Israel Surgical Association.
- 2001 Scientific Committee, Center for Biological Research of Cancer.
- 2001 Board Member of the Scientific Council, Israel Medical Association.
- 2004 Chairman, National Scientific Council on Surgery, Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Ministry of Health.
- 2006 Head, Nicholas and Elizabeth Slezak Chair in Experimental Surgery.
- 2007 - 2010 Head of the International Committee and Executive Committee Member, American Society of Surgical Oncology.
- 2017 Chairman of the Meeting of the Israel Surgical Association.
- 1972 - 1975 Assistant Lecturer in Anatomy, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1985 Lecturer in Surgery, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1988 Senior Lecturer in Surgery, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1989 Associate Professor of Surgery, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 1997 Full Professor of Surgery, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
Prizes and Achievements
- 1981 Israel Cancer Association, Research Grant "Cancer induced fibrinolysis".
- 1985 Travel Grants: 1st International Conference on Malignant Melanoma, Venice, Italy; on Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy, Paris, France.
- 1986 Milvitzky Prize, Israel Surgical Society.
- 1988 Israel Cancer Association, Presentation at the American College of Surgeons Meeting, Chicago, USA.
- 1989 Shauder Memorial Fund, Tel Aviv University; "The role of oxygen radicals in IL 2 induced toxicity".
- 1989 - 1990 Stabarovtzy Memorial Prize for Surgical Research, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University (2 awards).
- 1989 - 1991 Israel American Cancer Research Fund, Career Development Award.
- 1989 Israel Cancer Association, Research Grant.
- 1990 Research Prize.
- 1990 Patey Prize Session, Surgical Research Society, Southhampton.
- 1990 NIH Grant in collaboration with Prof. Shepro, Dean of Science, Boston University.
- 1991 Israel Cancer Association, Research Grant.
- 1991 Israel Cancer Association, Medical Equipment Grant.
- 1991 Tel Aviv University, Shrieber Grant for Research.
- 1992 Tel Aviv University, Slezak Fund Grant.
- 1992 Israel Cancer Association, Research Grant.
- 1994 and 1996 Israel Cancer Association, Equipment Grant.
- 1996 Research Grant, Boehringer Ingelheim GmBH, Implementation of TNF.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- 1976 Israel Medical Association.
- 1984 Israel Surgical Society.
- 1985 World Association of Emergency and Disaster Medicine.
- 1985 European Society of Surgical Oncology.
- 1986 Harvard Medical Association (USA).
- 1993 Israel Association for Disaster Medicine.
- 1993 International Society for Regional Cancer Therapy.
- 1995 Israel Trauma Society.
- 1997 Society of Surgical Oncology (USA).
- 1999 Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (USA).
- 2007 Chairman of the International Committee of the American Society of Surgical Oncology.
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Surgical treatment esophageal cancer with resection and plasty from small intestine tissues
- Hospital: Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
- access_time Duration:
There are 23 esophageal cancer treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics