About the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Metabolic Disorders and Nutritional Medicine at University Hospital Giessen UKGM
The Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Metabolic Disorders and Nutritional Medicine at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM offers the full range of medical services in these fields. The department specializes in the treatment of common and rare pathologies. Thanks to the active research orientation of the department, the patients have access to clinical trials of innovative drugs and treatment techniques. Despite the advanced technical infrastructure and the availability of state-of-the-art medical equipment, the specialists focus on the person with his individual needs and wishes.The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Schäffler.
The department's endocrinologists treat thyroid and pituitary diseases, as well as osteoporosis. The admission of patients is carried out within the specialized centers, which specialize in a particular diagnosis. For example, the experts of the Osteoporosis Center offer the treatment of this disease using kyphoplasty and drug therapy (injection of bisphosphonates). The doctors at the Thyroid Center specialize in the treatment of goiter. The main therapeutic options include iodine monotherapy, levothyroxine therapy, radioiodine therapy and surgical treatment.
Diabetology is represented by a separate specially trained team of experts who provide comprehensive medical care for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes and other types of this pathology. The scope of tasks also includes the treatment of patients with severe types of the disease. The department has a school for patients with diabetes mellitus, the task of which is to train patients how to lead a new lifestyle. The patients are offered lectures on proper nutrition, exercise, insulin therapy, the use of insulin pumps, hypoglycemia prevention and many other subjects. The spectrum is complemented by diabetic foot treatment.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases
- Thyroid diseases (focus on goiter)
- Pituitary diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of diabetes mellitus
- Outpatient diagnostics and treatment of all types of diabetes mellitus
- Regular monitoring of patients with diabetes mellitus in accordance with the recommendations of the German Diabetes Association
- Prescription and monitoring of insulin therapy
- Treatment of acute and chronic metabolic disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of complications caused by diabetes mellitus
- Qualified ultrasound examination
- Training for patients with diabetes mellitus on all therapeutic issues and disease control (in groups and individually)
- Insulin pump therapy
- Continuous, subcutaneous measurement of blood glucose up to five days
- Diabetic foot treatment
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of obesity (nutrition medicine)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH