University Hospital Giessen UKGM
Department of General Pediatrics and Neonatology (113957)
Specialized in: general pediatrics, neonatology
The Department of General Pediatrics and Neonatology at the University Hospital Giessen under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Klaus-Peter Zimmer is part of the Children’s Hospital Giessen and the Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. The Department offers a wide array of treatments. Its primary area of specialization is diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver (nutritional disorders), kidneys and urinary tract, vessels and skeleton, e.g. in rheumatism or growth disorders.
In the field of pediatric and adolescent medicine, the Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Klaus-Peter Zimmer (in cooperation with other institutes of the university hospital) offers a comprehensive diagnosis and age-appropriate treatment for diseases of the digestive tract.
The Department specializes in the treatment of the following gastrointestinal diseases:
- Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Malabsorption disorders (celiac disease, carbohydrate malabsorption, food allergies)
- Diseases of the upper digestive tract (gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, achalasia)
- Diseases of the liver and gallbladder (Wilson's disease, hepatitis, pancreatitis)
- Nutritional problems (growth disorders, short bowel syndrome)
- Nutrition assistants and ecotrophologists help in providing nutrition counseling (in cooperation with the Institute of Nutritional Sciences)
The Unit of Pediatric Pulmonology, Allergology and the Cystic Fibrosis Center of the Children’s Hospital at the University Hospital Giessen provides treatment of all lung diseases in children. In particular, these are children suffering from bronchial asthma, allergy, cystic fibrosis, primary ciliary dyskinesia, bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
The priority focuses of the Department of General Pediatrics and Neonatology at the University Hospital Giessen are:
- Endocrinology (consultation on hormonal disorders)
- Family psychosomatics
- Pediatric gastroenterology
- Pulmonology, allergology, cystic fibrosis
- Metabolic disorders
- Giessen, Germany