University Hospital Giessen UKGM
Department of Neurology (113969)
Specialized in: neurology
About the Department of Neurology at University Hospital Giessen UKGM
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with acute and chronic diseases of the nervous system. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Manfred Kaps.
The competent medical team of the department consists of more than 50 doctors, about 150 nurses and specialists in neurophysiology, speech therapy and physiotherapy. The department operates an Intensive Care Unit, a Stroke Unit, a Day Clinic and an Outpatient Clinic. As a maximum care medical facility, the department provides first-class medical care in accordance with international standards.
The diagnostic spectrum includes all electrophysiological techniques, such as EEG, evoked potentials and electromyography. The department conducts ultrasound examinations of the cerebral vessels (also as part of preoperative diagnostics). The Neurochemical Laboratory serves for the comprehensive diagnostics of cerebrospinal fluid. An integral part of the treatment are physiotherapy and speech therapy. In collaboration with the Departments of Neuroradiology, Neurosurgery and other related specialists, the department offers various methods of interventional therapy, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, etc.
The department’s priority areas of competence include the treatment of neuromuscular diseases, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, motor disorders and Parkinson's syndrome. The department annually treats about 3,000 inpatients and more than 3,500 outpatients with neurological pathologies of varying severity.
The department’s spectrum of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke (within the specialized Stroke Unit)
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Diagnostics and differential diagnostics of multiple sclerosis
- Second opinion
- Relapse therapy
- Selection of optimal individual therapy, including in case of pathology exacerbation
- Emergency medical care
- Participation in clinical trials (mainly phase III)
- Special therapy for the symptomatic treatment of multiple sclerosis complaints
- Structured patient training programs
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Epilepsy diagnostics
- Drug therapy
- Treatment of epilepsy in old age
- Assessment of the condition of a patient with epilepsy for suitability for driving vehicles
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders, spasticity
- Gait disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Botulinum toxin therapy
- Blepharospasm and Meige syndrome
- Cervical dystonia
- Focal and segmental dystonia
- Head tremor
- Hemifacial spasm
- Spastic tonus increase, for example, after a stroke
- Myofascial pain
- Neurological intensive care
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Manfred Kaps
- 1989 Habilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1986 Board certification, Faculty of Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1979 Doctoral thesis defense, Faculty of Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
Professional and Academic Career
- 1999 C4 Professorship, Chair of the
- Department of Neurology, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1994 C3 Professorship, Medical University Lübeck.
- 1991 C2 Professorship, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1987 C1 Postdoctoral Lecturing Qualification, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- Cerebrovascular research.
- Clinical research.
- Since 1999 Chairman of the Department of Neurology of the University Hospital Giessen UKGM.
- Coordinator of the global activities of 330 scientists from 46 countries as Chairman of the Neurosonology Research Group of the World Federation of Neurology.
- Dean of Research of the Faculty of Medicine.
- 2005 - 2006 President of the German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology.
- Since 2006 Chairman of the Neurosonology Research Group of the World Federation of Neurology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Giessen UKGM:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.